Six ships in Kotor! What to do??

Sadly, it looks like there will be 6 ships in Kotor the day we stop there in July on the Star. Any ideas on what to do? Wandering around the town is probably out...I guess an excursion?

One of the realities we find ourselves faced with, especially during the peak summer months of travel, but cope with it we must. My general inclination is to “head for the hills” figuratively or in some cases, literally! If I’ve not ever visited a place before, I’ll try to still see the “musts” but probably only a few and schedule it all rather strategically which is the idea I have heee now.

If it were me, I’d immediately head either NW about 12km (6ish miles) towards Perast for a little sojourn to include Our Lady of the Rocks among other things, accessible by HoHo, public bus or taxi tour (negotiate!) for awhile. Alternatively you could head south to Budva approximately 22k (12ish miles) with a walled historic old town and the 7th century church St Ivan’s. There are also some great beaches nearby. The best way to get here would be by taxi.

I would then hear back into Kotor to see the Old Town, figuring by then everyone else will have already done this and having a sit down or maybe themselves on the HoHo having a look around or heading back to the ship early.

This just sort of reminds me of how it felt upon arriving in Venice. It’s one of the prettiest, dreamiest places in the world but the main areas are SO crowded. I rushed through those areas and then slowed down when I settled into the real Venice further from the main attractions. Perhaps coming from one of the busiest cities in the world (which I love) taught me how to both fret and love chaos and calm.

I hope whatever you do, it’s an amazing journey and you’ll tell us about it when you return! We love to hear from travelers, especially those that visit many of the ports that are still considered relatively “newer” additions to the European itineraries, compared to Italy, Spain, Greece etc.

Cheers :)

Dear Colleen,

My Viking Star cruise will be in Kotor on Monday, May 7th, with port arrival listed as 8 AM and departure at 3 PM. It looks like we will be tendered to shore. I figure we realistically may have 4-5 hours to sightsee...not very much. And I haven't yet checked how many other ships will be in port on this day.

Do you have any specific recommendations besides Perast? I don't think I have enough time to go farther afield than 5-6 miles. Or just stay in Kotor. I'm a big history and local culture buff. Thanks for your time and advice.

Anyone in Kotor who has reasonable fitness and doesn't have bad knees should consider doing the climb to the top of the fortress in the old town. The views are stunning and once you reach the top, the sense of accomplishment (along with the views) is amazing. We did it in October, in the heat of the day (and yes, it was hot), and we are 64 and 65! So, unless you have real issues with mobility/knees, this is a great thing to do while in Kotor. 1500 steps to the top! And only 3 euros.

Anyone in Kotor who has reasonable fitness and doesn't have bad knees should consider doing the climb to the top of the fortress in the old town. The views are stunning and once you reach the top, the sense of accomplishment (along with the views) is amazing. We did it in October, in the heat of the day (and yes, it was hot), and we are 64 and 65! So, unless you have real issues with mobility/knees, this is a great thing to do while in Kotor. 1500 steps to the top! And only 3 euros.

We did this also. Afterwards we went to the beach. Lovely day with amazing scenery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure that you are out on deck for the sail into Kotor. It was absolutely beautiful. Once there we strolled through town. We had some friends find a beach and hang out and others that did the climb up the hill.

We went to Kotor last May on Azamara (small ship so we could get closer in). Kotor is quite a small place but very beautiful and ancient. We took a little boat to the Lady of the Rock and it also stopped at Perast for a while so you could have a meal or a drink. 15 Euros each. It was a lovely little trip for 2 hours.

Sadly, it looks like there will be 6 ships in Kotor the day we stop there in July on the Star. Any ideas on what to do? Wandering around the town is probably out...I guess an excursion?

I rechecked it because i was wondering about so many ships there and found out that during July max. 3 ships are at Kotor per day.

If you are on the Norwegian Star,only max.one other ship is docked at the same day.

But as the city is very small,even "only" 2 shipments with 5000 to 6000 passengers are too much to really enjoy the city.

Kotor is quite close to the very top of my personal list of cities i want to visit by cruise ship.

I rechecked it because i was wondering about so many ships there and found out that during July max. 3 ships are at Kotor per day.

If you are on the Norwegian Star,only max.one other ship is docked at the same day.

But as the city is very small,even "only" 2 shipments with 5000 to 6000 passengers are too much to really enjoy the city.

Kotor is quite close to the very top of my personal list of cities i want to visit by cruise ship.

I think they stagger the arrival and departure times. Our ship arrived early with I think Cunard. We left around 1 pm and a RC was coming into the bay.

• 1 month later...