Vancouver pier to airport

shofer

After our Alaska cruise we are booked for a 10:30 AM flight to Seattle for our connecting Alaska Airlines flight back to Chicago. The TA was all for finding us the best fare possible. It looks like we are going to do early-off hauling our luggage.

My question is how close is to the pier are the taxis? This will be a Monday morning and we need to get to the Vancouver airport as early as possible.

Princess would not give us transfers because our flight were before 11 AM.

Starting to think this is going to be a nightmare if we miss this flight as there is only one other one going to Seattle early enough to make our connection and that will most likely be sold out.

Our TA said she could by us a preferred stand by seat for $25 on that flight within 6 hrs just in case. I really don't like to have such a stressful end to my trip but the TA seemed to think this was very doable.

Sue

After our Alaska cruise we are booked for a 10:30 AM flight to Seattle for our connecting Alaska Airlines flight back to Chicago. The TA was all for finding us the best fare possible. It looks like we are going to do early-off hauling our luggage.

My question is how close is to the pier are the taxis? This will be a Monday morning and we need to get to the Vancouver airport as early as possible.

Princess would not give us transfers because our flight were before 11 AM.

Starting to think this is going to be a nightmare if we miss this flight as there is only one other one going to Seattle early enough to make our connection and that will most likely be sold out.

Our TA said she could by us a preferred stand by seat for $25 on that flight within 6 hrs just in case. I really don't like to have such a stressful end to my trip but the TA seemed to think this was very doable.

Sue

When I disembarked in Vancouver in May, I was very surprised to find that they had a shuttle (not Princess Transfer) to the airport. I have heard that these port to airport shuttles are no longer available. I did hear someone at the airport that said they took the Sky Train for less money and it was faster. But the closest terminal is about 4 blocks away.

I did take the Sky Train from the airport to downtown Vancouver in October and it was really very easy. Again, no airport to hotel shuttles.

I would think there would be taxi's waiting at the port.

I did use Alaska Airline's $25.00 change fee to catch a flight earlier than my scheduled one. It worked very well. Don't know how it would work in reverse.

Good luck.

Renee

Your issue is going to be less getting to the airport and more about the lines at Vancouver airport to check in, then the very long US Immigration line and then Security. Even if you make it to the airport by 9am, you may not make it to the gate in time. I've had it take me two hours from airport curb to gate. Usually, Princess is ultra-conservative with their earliest flight time but I don't think that's the case with VCR. Just something to think about and consider.

Take a later flight ....Pam is right about long lines at the airport, checking in, and going thru U.S.immigrations at the airport. Lines can be very long if there are more than one ship in port. Also it does oft times back up at Canadian immigrations at the port. The traffic in Vancover can be hard to deal with with in a taxi or bus. The sky train (subway) is the fastest opt. You will have to walk a short distance to it.

Living in Vancouver, I would say take the skytrain. Then you will have no worries about traffic. I usually arrive at YVR approx 90mins before our flights and have never had a problem…but I guess it could happen. If I left the port on the 8:15am skytrain I would feel confident I would make the flight.

Another option - If you have time to get a Nexus Pass with a retina scan, you can skip the customs line ups at the airport - the pass was $50/5 yrs when I bought mine.

Take a later flight ....Pam is right about long lines at the airport, checking in, and going thru U.S.immigrations at the airport. Lines can be very long if there are more than one ship in port. Also it does oft times back up at Canadian immigrations at the port. The traffic in Vancover can be hard to deal with with in a taxi or bus. The sky train (subway) is the fastest opt. You will have to walk a short distance to it.

We are arriving on a Monday so maybe not have the problem with too many ships in port but then always rush hour traffic. Still working on this.

Sue

We are arriving on a Monday so maybe not have the problem with too many ships in port but then always rush hour traffic. Still working on this.

Sue

Due to rush hour traffic on a monday I would definitely say use the Skytrain if you are able to handle your own luggage. It is a very short walk and slightly downhill...

Our Skytrain is our Light Rapid Transit System like a subway but mostly above ground

Ann

Due to rush hour traffic on a monday I would definitely say use the Skytrain if you are able to handle your own luggage. It is a very short walk and slightly downhill...

Our Skytrain is our Light Rapid Transit System like a subway but mostly above ground

Ann

Hate to disagree and add to the confusion. Traffic is not an issue. It's a relatively straight shot to the airport with no bridge issues. No more than 30 mins by taxi. The taxis are right there and deliver you to the check in.

OTOH skytrain- exit Canada place, walk to train, buy ticket, wait for train- at least 30 minutes.

You still need to be first off the ship. They come in at about 6. You clear Canadian customs, a formality, at the pier and US customs , more rigorous, at the airport. The possible line at US customs and immigration is the joker.

Hate to disagree and add to the confusion. Traffic is not an issue. It's a relatively straight shot to the airport with no bridge issues. No more than 30 mins by taxi. The taxis are right there and deliver you to the check in.

OTOH skytrain- exit Canada place, walk to train, buy ticket, wait for train- at least 30 minutes.

You still need to be first off the ship. They come in at about 6. You clear Canadian customs, a formality, at the pier and US customs , more rigorous, at the airport. The possible line at US customs and immigration is the joker.

We are looking into ordering a limo for the ride to the airport. We are using Express Walk Off and plan to be among the first off the ship.

Sue

• 1 month later...

Got great news from my TA this AM! We had booked a transfer with Princess at the initial booking but my TA had forgotten about it. While making the final payment today, the TA was informed by Princess that the transfer was included and valid.

Supposedly for Princess Air the cut-off time for early flight is 10:15 AM and this is what Princess uses for their early transfers to the airport. So I guess we had a lot of angst and worry for nothing. Princess guarantees getting us to the airport in time to check in for our flight.

Sue

Good luck! I would never book a flight that early out of Vancouver. Princess may guarantee they get you there in time to check in for your flight; but you still have to go through the sometimes very long US Customs/Immigration line. Hope you have an alternative flight if you miss that one.

Good luck! I would never book a flight that early out of Vancouver. Princess may guarantee they get you there in time to check in for your flight; but you still have to go through the sometimes very long US Customs/Immigration line. Hope you have an alternative flight if you miss that one.

Exactly. Most airlines require you to check in 60 minutes before an international flight, and if Princess fulfills on their promise to get you there 60 minutes prior that's going to be too late. I would average around 90 minutes minimum going from YVR check-in through customs - and this is for early Monday morning during Alaska cruising season.

Cruise line air is also bottom of the barrel for being rescheduled if you miss your flight. I wouldn't take this chance. Good luck.

Got great news from my TA this AM! We had booked a transfer with Princess at the initial booking but my TA had forgotten about it. While making the final payment today, the TA was informed by Princess that the transfer was included and valid.

Supposedly for Princess Air the cut-off time for early flight is 10:15 AM and this is what Princess uses for their early transfers to the airport. So I guess we had a lot of angst and worry for nothing. Princess guarantees getting us to the airport in time to check in for our flight.

Sue

I have some concerns re this....I won't say you won't make the flight but it is extremely tight....and I mean extremely so. I would advise that you get these assurances in writing.

My experience with AS/QX is that you need to check in 60 minutes prior to departure. If you can web check in or whatever, that helps in case you're delayed getting to the counter. Of course that won't help for clearing U.S. (pre)entry and security but at least it may stop the airline bumping from you. Also be aware it's a long walk to the gates Horizon uses (but boarding is closer to departure time due to the small size of aircraft).

As others say, the traffic shouldn't be too bad headed out of town at that hour unless there are road works. Toss up between Skytrain (due to 9 minute service intervals) or taxi/car otherwise.

I'd say an arrival at the airport before 0830 will be helpful.

If you can get Global Entry, get it. It may help considerably (not just U.S. entry but security too).

I have some concerns re this....I won't say you won't make the flight but it is extremely tight....and I mean extremely so. I would advise that you get these assurances in writing.

Shofer It may well be AOK. There may still be a programme called US Direct. If so it would be easy for Princess to make this promise.

US Direct allows 'on board checkin" for the airline AND expedited clearance through US customs. Essentially US passport holders travel 'in bond' between 2 US locales- the ship and the US departure gates.

http://cruisesfromvancouver.us/Resources/AirportTransfers.aspx

"Vancouver offers a program called US Direct. US Direct allows passengers arriving or departing at YVR to transfer directly to a same-day-departing cruise ship by participating in expedited immigration and customs clearance process. This program does not apply if you plan on staying in Vancouver."

Shofer It may well be AOK. There may still be a programme called US Direct. If so it would be easy for Princess to make this promise.

US Direct allows 'on board checkin" for the airline AND expedited clearance through US customs. Essentially US passport holders travel 'in bond' between 2 US locales- the ship and the US departure gates.

This is old information, the "US Direct" program was discontinued at the end of the 2010 cruise season. YVR wanted to levy a $5 fee for each passenger using the program and the cruise lines did not want to pay it or pass it on the their passengers. It was a a great program....but sadly it has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

I appreciate all the input and have to say that if I could make changes at this time I would but it appears all the flights are full and my cruising partner has to be back to work on Tuesday. I am retired and could stay another night in Vancouver but she cannot. Also any changes at this time, if possible, would be very expensive and not within our budget.

Like I posted previously, I will post on arriving home about our experience with transfers and flights.

Sue

This is old information, the "US Direct" program was discontinued at the end of the 2010 cruise season. YVR wanted to levy a $5 fee for each passenger using the program and the cruise lines did not want to pay it or pass it on the their passengers. It was a a great program....but sadly it has gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Any reason why you are 'yelling' ?

Archived