St. John (New Brunswick) Excursion not thru cruiseline?

I've tried to do a search on this for the past week, but everytime I try the search engine is down. So I figured I'd just ask.. Sorry if it's posted somewhere already

We're going to be in St. Johns in July, and trying to find something to do that will interest two girls, age 9 and 14, as well as us adults! Has anyone booked the Fundy Coast to Fundy Shore tour from Freedom Tours and Travel? If so, any comments on them before I book?? Or any suggestions for other tour groups? We are thinking of trying for something around St. Martin so we can see the sea caves..... unless anyone has better suggestions. I don't want to book thru the cruiseline, since they are quite expensive for this tour.

Thanks for any input!

Thanks Acey. I looked there, and it sounds like maybe even renting a car is the way to go for this. You can tell I'm from NJ when I ask this question -- is there admission charges to get on the beaches to see the caves??? or would our only expenses be renting a car or hiring a taxi if we go that route vs. a tour?

Thanks Acey. I looked there, and it sounds like maybe even renting a car is the way to go for this. You can tell I'm from NJ when I ask this question -- is there admission charges to get on the beaches to see the caves??? or would our only expenses be renting a car or hiring a taxi if we go that route vs. a tour?

There are no charges to access the beach or caves. Be sure to research the tide schedule to time it so that the caves are not filled with water when you go. If you call 506-648-8888 - they can tell you the charge for a tour when the cruise ship is in (taxi company). Good pics for car rental due to location is Avis and Enterprise.

Hi, We used Freedom Tours. They were easier then renting when you add gas and insurance. it takes the pressure off when you don't have to worry about driving. They let us stop when we wanted too which was great

Hi There....You will love our little city...Just to correct you though.(wer're a finiky bunch!)..St. Johns is in Newfoundland...far from here!..we are Saint John...The caves at st Martins are beautiful....City Market is fun(and free), museum at Market Square is great...Whale watching...lots of locations about 45min to 1 hr away. Google tourism NB...loads of info too! I'm going on the Victory in January to the Carribean (my 1st cruise!). I hope your family enjoys your visit!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I'm leaning towards hiring a taxi for the day. I'm still confused if the timing will work, so figured I'd post my question here to get a response from those who know this much better than I!

We will be in St. John from 8:00a - 6:00p (ship time).

Tide schedule for 7/19/08 (per St. John Tourism website): low 7:25a, high 1:31p

They mention "Low Slack: add 3 hours 50 minutes to Low Tide

High Slack: add 2 hours 25 minutes to High Tide". I have no clue what this means.

The caves are a 1 hour drive from the port. Considering ship time/local time, low tide, and whatever this slack is, do you think we have a chance to get to the sea caves during low tide when we can walk around them??? I dont want to kayak or just see them from across the water...

Thanks everyone for the input so far. I'm leaning towards hiring a taxi for the day. I'm still confused if the timing will work, so figured I'd post my question here to get a response from those who know this much better than I!

We will be in St. John from 8:00a - 6:00p (ship time).

Tide schedule for 7/19/08 (per St. John Tourism website): low 7:25a, high 1:31p

They mention "Low Slack: add 3 hours 50 minutes to Low Tide

High Slack: add 2 hours 25 minutes to High Tide". I have no clue what this means.

The caves are a 1 hour drive from the port. Considering ship time/local time, low tide, and whatever this slack is, do you think we have a chance to get to the sea caves during low tide when we can walk around them??? I dont want to kayak or just see them from across the water...

I had this reply all typed out and then it disappeared so I will try again.

The term "slack tide" refers to the tide status in the Reversing Falls. It is information for boaters who wish to pass through the falls from the harbour into the river or vice versa. At slack tide the water in the harbour is level more or less with the water in the river and boaters can pass for a twenty minute period four times in a twenty four hour time period. It has no bearing on the tides off St. Martins.

With the times you have mentioned re the sea caves, I cannot see you arriving in St. Martins before 9:30 AM. At that time the tide will have been coming in for two hours. You may be able to take a quick walk out to the caves but bear in mind that the tide can come in quite quickly and cut off an unwary person. When I go out to St. Martins to walk to the caves, I usually plan it so that I arrive on a falling tide so there is plenty of time.

When you arrive at the beach, if you are advised not to go out at that time---don't. There is nobody to stop you,- it is a public beach but just use your good judgement.

Enjoy your cruise and your visit to Saint John.

I realize that this is a subjective question, but are is St Martin and the caves worth the drive? We're taking tours in Bar Harbor & Halifax and are thinking of just doing St. John on our own, but I'm really interested in St. Martin and the caves.

I realize that this is a subjective question, but are is St Martin and the caves worth the drive? We're taking tours in Bar Harbor & Halifax and are thinking of just doing St. John on our own, but I'm really interested in St. Martin and the caves.

If you enjoy picturesque beauty St Martins is just the ticket. It takes about fifteen minutes to pick your way out to the caves from the beach. The rocks aren't so big that you have to climb over them, but you do have to watch your footing.

Just a short walk up the road from the caves are two charming covered bridges that are still in use. It is possible to photograph them both in the same picture.

At low tide the fishing boats in the small harbour ground out and lie over on their side.

There are a few small gift shops.

St. Martins is a photographers delight.

From St. Martins you can drive another 10 miles or so out to the Fundy Trail, park your car and hike along the seaside trail. Again, if you enjoy natural beauty you will like it. If you drive to the end of the trail at Salmon River---it's not that far----there is an interperatation centre and a lovely suspension walking bridge over the small river---again very beautiful.

It will take you about 45 min to one hour to drive to St. Martins, depending on the traffic. Take the number one highway east to the airport exit, drive to the end of the airport arterial, turn left , go past the airport and follow your nose to St. Martins. There will be a sign for St. Martins at the airport exit and again when you reach the end of the airport arterial.

It is two lanes all the way after you get to the airport.

• 1 month later...

Hi! I was considering renting a car from Hertz which is located at the airport to venture out to St. Martins. Would renting from the airport be going out of our way to get to St. Martins or is the airport on the way to St. Martins anyway?

Hi! I was considering renting a car from Hertz which is located at the airport to venture out to St. Martins. Would renting from the airport be going out of our way to get to St. Martins or is the airport on the way to St. Martins anyway?

The airport is located on the Loch Lomond Road which is the road to St. Martins. Just turn right as you leave the airport and drive to St. Martins. It is a small airport and there is only one exit from it. Think back to the TV show "Wings" and you get the picture!!

You would turn left leaving the airport to drive into the city of Saint John.

Taxi fare to the airport is around $30 - so I would rent from either AVIS or Enterprise downtown - save $60 is cab fare.

Thanks for the information! I was factoring taxi fare into the equation and was a bit skeptical, but as it turns out hertz offers free pick up and drop off. So we have to call them when or right before we arrive and they will arrange a place to pick us up to return to the airport, where we pick up the car and go from there. Plus they offer 200 free km whereas some of the other rental agencies off less and we would end up going over the alloted km and paying more. Plus they offer and have a available a convertible, which I think would be great to take in the sites of the fundy parkway.

Thanks Sapper1. It looks like I'm back to the drawing board!

We are on the same cruise that you are and will be traveling with a 10 yr old. The International Buskings Association will be in St. John on 7/19, on the boardwalk. We are planning on going to Market Square, City Market, the boardwalk for the Buskings, and if there is time remaining, visiting the New Brunswick Museum. There is a small charge at the museum but everything else is free. I had originally schedule the jet boats at Reversing Falls but didn't want to deal with wet clothes. We think there will be plenty to do in town that will delight a young person.

Thanks Sapper1. It looks like I'm back to the drawing board!

We are on the same cruise that you are and will be traveling with a 10 yr old. The International Buskers Association will be in St. John on 7/19, on the boardwalk. We are planning on going to Market Square, City Market, the boardwalk for the Buskers, and if there is time remaining, visiting the New Brunswick Museum. There is a small charge at the museum but everything else is free. I had originally schedule the jet boats at Reversing Falls but didn't want to deal with wet clothes. We think there will be plenty to do in town that will delight a young person.

We've done the St. Martin tour twice -- from different ships. They only use the people who live in St. Martin to do the tour -- very proud of their place. You would miss a lot if you did it on your own. Take the ship's tour -- it's worth it.

Oh, that's good to know, as my husband and I finally decided to just book with RCCL to go to St. Martins. It looks so pretty.

I have a question to those who have been to St. Martins' Sea Caves. We will be going around high tide. I know that this keep us from walking in the caves, but is there still beach in the area where we can walk? Is this the kind of place where we can kick off our shoes and splash a bit?

Any other tips anyone would have for this tour is greatly appreciated.

Oh, that's good to know, as my husband and I finally decided to just book with RCCL to go to St. Martins. It looks so pretty.

I have a question to those who have been to St. Martins' Sea Caves. We will be going around high tide. I know that this keep us from walking in the caves, but is there still beach in the area where we can walk? Is this the kind of place where we can kick off our shoes and splash a bit?

The beach near the water is mostly rounded rocks and pebbles as opposed to sandy. The water of the Bay of Fundy is very cold. St. Martins is a working fishing village with a couple of covered bridges - you may find it an excellent location to take pictures.

Nobody is going to tell you that you can't, but trust me---you won't want to. You haven't felt cold until you have tried to swim or wade in the Bay of Fundy. You would turn numb!!!

We are on the same cruise that you are and will be traveling with a 10 yr old. The International Buskers Association will be in St. John on 7/19, on the boardwalk. We are planning on going to Market Square, City Market, the boardwalk for the Buskers, and if there is time remaining, visiting the New Brunswick Museum. There is a small charge at the museum but everything else is free. I had originally schedule the jet boats at Reversing Falls but didn't want to deal with wet clothes. We think there will be plenty to do in town that will delight a young person.

Ah..we all meet again... We are thinking about the same plan.

For any of you that have kids, the Jet Boats at Reversing Falls are really a lot of fun. My kids are older but it was one of their all time favorite excursions and we have done many. In fact they liked it so much we are going back again this year.

For any of you that have kids, the Jet Boats at Reversing Falls are really a lot of fun. My kids are older but it was one of their all time favorite excursions and we have done many. In fact they liked it so much we are going back again this year.

My hubby wanted to do this....but I think I'd prefer the other boat ride that is just sight-seeing! I don't know if I could handle being soak & wet!! It looks like loads of fun though--so we may give it a whirl!

Archived