Pride of America documentation

amychita

Hi all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.. I couldn't find a thread with the same topic.. new cruiser here!

So.. I'm hyper confused about the documentation we need to bring for Pride of America and a bit anxious because the cruise is in almost 2 months. I know for US citizens the driver's license is enough but I've read that you also need to bring a second photo ID?

And also I have 3 non-citizens in my party, 2 of them with residency and one in the process of residency (but will have a valid government issued photo ID in time for the cruise but maybe not the green card yet). Everybody is currently in the US so nobody needs a passport but I would like to know if:

A) its true that you need a second photo ID to board

B) what would that second ID be for non-citizens (with expired passports.. also)

Thanks!

Btw I contacted NCL online and thats where my confusion started because they said we do need to bring passports but it doesn't seem right because its a US cruise with only US ports so its always national... so I started to google around and found out about the second ID and things got crazy! lol I need an expert!

From NCL FAQ's:

U.S. Citizens

Hawaii Cruises

There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawaii inter-island cruise. If your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Hi all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.. I couldn't find a thread with the same topic.. new cruiser here!

So.. I'm hyper confused about the documentation we need to bring for Pride of America and a bit anxious because the cruise is in almost 2 months. I know for US citizens the driver's license is enough but I've read that you also need to bring a second photo ID?

And also I have 3 non-citizens in my party, 2 of them with residency and one in the process of residency (but will have a valid government issued photo ID in time for the cruise but maybe not the green card yet). Everybody is currently in the US so nobody needs a passport but I would like to know if:

A) its true that you need a second photo ID to board

B) what would that second ID be for non-citizens (with expired passports.. also)

Thanks!

Btw I contacted NCL online and thats where my confusion started because they said we do need to bring passports but it doesn't seem right because its a US cruise with only US ports so its always national... so I started to google around and found out about the second ID and things got crazy! lol I need an expert!

Not sure where your confusion is... this is what is posted on NCL's web site:

U.S. Citizens - Hawaii Cruises

There's no need for a passport when you sail on any Hawaii inter-island cruise. If your ship never sails beyond the islands of Hawaii, all you need is a government-issued photo I.D. which includes a passport or a valid driver's license with a photo. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 does not require a government-issued photo ID.

Non-U.S. Citizens

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have sailing permits and/or visas to enter countries Norwegian Cruise Line visits in these areas. Please note that travel anywhere else in the world requires a valid passport from the country you are a citizen of and subsequently subjects you to any documentation, visa and health requirements of all countries visited.

Depending on when you travel and where your driver's license is from, you may run into a problem with TSA (at the airport) if your driver's license does not meet "Real ID" benchmarks, in which case you would need a "Federal ID" in order to board you flight. Check with TSA and Border Patrol/Customs for rules, restrictions and further clarification.

Edited by azappraiser

I am sailing on the POA next week - this is what is in my EDOCs:

PASSPORT INFORMATION / TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

A valid passport is highly recommended for all cruises sailing out of a U.S. Port but required for all International sailings. In addition to your passport, a visa may be required. For the appropriate requirements based on your itinerary and nationality, please contact your travel professional, local immigration office or http://www.ncl.com/traveldocs. It's your responsibility to obtain any required visas and other necessary documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases.

Also - under the terms and conditions, it states:

11. Travel Documentation: Upon embarkation, the Guest shall have in his or her possession, and assumes all responsibility for obtaining, all visas, passports, certified birth certificates, travel and health documents required by any governmental authority, and if he or she fails to do so the Carrier shall have no further obligation to transport or to furnish transportation to the Guest. The Guest is advised to consult his or her travel agent or the appropriate governmental authority concerning required documentation for

travel. The Guest shall indemnify the Carrier for all penalties, fines, charges, losses and expenses imposed upon or incurred by the Carrier due to the Guest's failure to have proper documentation or otherwise comply with applicable laws or regulations of any kind. Any stamps on tickets, customs, excise or other taxes or fines on the Guest or the Carrier resulting from the Guest's conduct, embarkation expenses, and all expenses of such a nature are to be paid by the Guest. If the Guest is denied boarding for failing to comply with the requirements of this paragraph, the Carrier shall not be liable to refund the Guest's fare or for any other damages or expenses whatsoever

In the Welcome aboard (the European Edition) it says:

WHAT ARE PASSPORT AND

VISA REQUIREMENTS?

During most cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line personnel will need to

retain your passport. You therefore have to carry a second government issued photo ID with you at all times.I t is the sole responsibility of the

guest to provide all necessary documentation.

So...

If the cruise guest is not a US Citizen, then it looks like NCL will "hold" their

passport, so they indeed would need a second form of ID.

Not sure where your confusion is... this is what is posted on NCL's web site:

U.S. Citizens - Hawaii Cruises

Non-U.S. Citizens

Alien Residents of the United States holding an Alien Registration Card (ARC or "Green Card") (Form I-551) may travel to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda (see Visa Restrictions on Bermuda) and the Caribbean with just their valid ARC and Proof of Identity. However, it is recommended that these guests also carry their passports from their country of citizenship if available. In some instances, ARC holders may still be required to have sailing permits and/or visas to enter countries Norwegian Cruise Line visits in these areas. Please note that travel anywhere else in the world requires a valid passport from the country you are a citizen of and subsequently subjects you to any documentation, visa and health requirements of all countries visited.

Depending on when you travel and where your driver's license is from, you may run into a problem with TSA (at the airport) if your driver's license does not meet "Real ID" benchmarks, in which case you would need a "Federal ID" in order to board you flight. Check with TSA and Border Patrol/Customs for rules, restrictions and further clarification.

The confusion is because the NCL lady told us that passports are required (it was a copy and paste text) for the PoA and I asked why because its a U.S. Port only cruise and she answered back with some other copy and paste text so I wasn't completely sure.

Thank you everybody for your answers.

I guess the second form of ID is not really necessary since it's not in any of the texts you guys/gals sent me :) What I want is for some personal experience becasuse I've read all that before :(

I am sailing on the POA next week - this is what is in my EDOCs:

PASSPORT INFORMATION / TRAVEL DOCUMENTS

A valid passport is highly recommended for all cruises sailing out of a U.S. Port but required for all International sailings. In addition to your passport, a visa may be required. For the appropriate requirements based on your itinerary and nationality, please contact your travel professional, local immigration office or http://www.ncl.com/traveldocs. It's your responsibility to obtain any required visas and other necessary documentation prior to sailing, including vaccinations for infectious diseases.

Also - under the terms and conditions, it states:

11. Travel Documentation: Upon embarkation, the Guest shall have in his or her possession, and assumes all responsibility for obtaining, all visas, passports, certified birth certificates, travel and health documents required by any governmental authority, and if he or she fails to do so the Carrier shall have no further obligation to transport or to furnish transportation to the Guest. The Guest is advised to consult his or her travel agent or the appropriate governmental authority concerning required documentation for

travel. The Guest shall indemnify the Carrier for all penalties, fines, charges, losses and expenses imposed upon or incurred by the Carrier due to the Guest's failure to have proper documentation or otherwise comply with applicable laws or regulations of any kind. Any stamps on tickets, customs, excise or other taxes or fines on the Guest or the Carrier resulting from the Guest's conduct, embarkation expenses, and all expenses of such a nature are to be paid by the Guest. If the Guest is denied boarding for failing to comply with the requirements of this paragraph, the Carrier shall not be liable to refund the Guest's fare or for any other damages or expenses whatsoever

In the Welcome aboard (the European Edition) it says:

WHAT ARE PASSPORT AND

VISA REQUIREMENTS?

During most cruises, Norwegian Cruise Line personnel will need to

retain your passport. You therefore have to carry a second government issued photo ID with you at all times.I t is the sole responsibility of the

guest to provide all necessary documentation.

So...

If the cruise guest is not a US Citizen, then it looks like NCL will "hold" their

passport, so they indeed would need a second form of ID.

Ohh... ok, well I hope passport is not one of them because non of my non-us citizens have valid passports (all expired) so I guess green card and ID will have to do. Thanks!

Ohh... ok, well I hope passport is not one of them because non of my non-us citizens have valid passports (all expired) so I guess green card and ID will have to do. Thanks!

The green cards should be fine but you said one (or maybe two) didn't have green cards OR current passports. There is also verbiage about visas that may be required. Passports are not required for US citizens but those without citizenship or green cards would obviously need "current" passports from the country they are from, right?

Why not eMail NCL directly and get clarification from them...in WRITING (e.g. email) so that you don't get into a tight spot with your foreign guests?

For the POA in Hawaii, this is a "coastwise" voyage on a US flag vessel, so the wording in NCL's FAQ's is correct: passport or government photo ID. While a government ID like a driver's license would be sufficient for a Resident Alien for the Hawaii cruise (though carrying the green card is prudent), for any other cruise that is covered by the WHTI and allows travel by US citizens using their driver's license and birth certificate, green card holders are required to have passports from their country of birth as well as the green card.

The green cards should be fine but you said one (or maybe two) didn't have green cards OR current passports. There is also verbiage about visas that may be required. Passports are not required for US citizens but those without citizenship or green cards would obviously need "current" passports from the country they are from, right?

Why not eMail NCL directly and get clarification from them...in WRITING (e.g. email) so that you don't get into a tight spot with your foreign guests?

I would suggest contacting U.S. Customs & Border Control for clarification; NCL doesn't make the documentation rules, they only follow them.

Thank you all! you are awesome! :D

Yes, one of the people in my party doesn't have a Green Card yet but might have it before the cruise sails, if not she is applying for a new passport just in case.

Thanks everybody, I feel better now :)

For future references I talked to a NCL agent and she sent me to the U.S. Customs and Border website and I read this:

""Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization)."

So yeah, a copy of proof of citizenship is required by them and for non-citizens she said a copy of the green card or any proof of legal permanency is good (so any paper from Inmigration that shows a legal status for the one who doesn't have her green card yet would be enough).

So we are all good and ready for Hawaii!

• 1 month later...

Aaaaannnd some more update on this matter..

Closed-loop cruise are the ones that sail from a US port and goes to Canada, Bahamas (with some extra requirements for Bahamas), Caribbean and Mexico, so for those its government issued photo ID AND proof of citizenship, and for permanent residents their passport and green card.

Hawaii-only cruise like this one only require government issued photo ID and that's it! so excited we are sailing in 17 days!!

For the POA in Hawaii, this is a "coastwise" voyage on a US flag vessel, so the wording in NCL's FAQ's is correct: passport or government photo ID. While a government ID like a driver's license would be sufficient for a Resident Alien for the Hawaii cruise (though carrying the green card is prudent), for any other cruise that is covered by the WHTI and allows travel by US citizens using their driver's license and birth certificate, green card holders are required to have passports from their country of birth as well as the green card.

chengkp75 - perhaps you can give some insight on this:

Given this unusual status of the PoA Hawaii-only cruise (never leaves the USA, US-flagged vessel) why does the restriction about leaving the ship at one port (specifically Hilo) and re-boarding at another (Kona) violate any of the laws that apply to ships that don't meet those conditions?

Doesn't the fact that it is a US-flagged vessel change that?

Thanks.

GeezerCouple

• 2 years later...
Aaaaannnd some more update on this matter..

Closed-loop cruise are the ones that sail from a US port and goes to Canada, Bahamas (with some extra requirements for Bahamas), Caribbean and Mexico, so for those its government issued photo ID AND proof of citizenship, and for permanent residents their passport and green card.

Hawaii-only cruise like this one only require government issued photo ID and that's it! so excited we are sailing in 17 days!!

Hi, tell me the end, what happen with the documentation the embarkation day?

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, alohafamily said:

Hi amychita! So what documents did they ask you for? My family and I are going on this cruise in a couple months and I want to make sure we are fully prepared! 😊

If you are US citizens, all you need is a government issued photo ID.  This cruise never leaves the state of Hawaii, and the ship is US flag, so it is no different than taking a bus tour around Colorado.

• 3 years later...
On 6/17/2018 at 8:43 PM, amychita said:

That was it, Government ID only because it never leaves US territory :)

Highly recommend this cruise!

Hello, can you tell me if even for the one that is no citizen or permanent resident, only a Government ID was enough?

• 1 month later...
On 7/19/2022 at 8:58 PM, omannon said:

Hello, can you tell me if even for the one that is no citizen or permanent resident, only a Government ID was enough?

Hello, I have the same question:

Can Non-US citizens with expired passports get on board Pride Of America just with a valid US Driver's License? 

Edited by Executek1

15 hours ago, Executek1 said:

Hello, I have the same question:

Can Non-US citizens with expired passports get on board Pride Of America just with a valid US Driver's License? 

Hi there, welcome to Cruise Critic! 

Read this entire thread and you'll find the answer to your question, based upon laws/rules/personal experience. 

Of course this thread is from 2018 and 2019 so things could have changed.