Just Off Explorer Thoughts

Purchased Voom Streaming Package. Unfortunately connecting in Alaskan waters is spotty at best. The concept of streaming is a myth. In addition we really had poor connections for browsing. This package was almost unusable for us.

Rooms and bedding was comfortable a big plus, but the ship itself is looking tired in the public areas to us.

We thought food quality in dining room was on the decline. We purchased a dining package which worked for us with Chops being their premier restaurant. We ate 3 times in this venue. We would have liked more options for vegetable sides.

I am on her next weekend. I purchased the Voom package to be able to communicate with the kid back home. Did you ask for a refund since it didn't work? On my 7 night cruise that's a lot of money to just throw away on a service that doesn't work.

Just off Explorer a few days ago - the Sydney to Seattle trip. Has the net for all 23 days, Only lost connection for a few hours (that I know of) near the equator (no surprise there). Didn't do speed tests, but had no problem surfing or email. Remember in Alaska sometimes the mountains get in the way of the satellite line of sight, so I think your issue may be one of topography rather than ship equipment.

We were also on the TP and had the package for the whole journey and were pleasantly surprised at how well it worked so tend to agree with the above poster that it's not a problem with the equipment . There was a disclaimer printed in the compass every day saying that due to the location there may be loss of signal and refunds would not be given - not sure if this is the case for Alaska

And to answer another question I'm pretty sure that hot tub was still there

We are boarding next Friday. I have a few questions if you are willing to answer!

1) If I need to be able to check my email, and pull some journal articles, and maybe post a few pics online (but am not planning on streaming, skyping, etc.), was it ok for that? Or should I just cancel our packages?

2) Did you find the food menus to be different than warmer weather cruises (less cold soups and salads, for example)?

3) Anything you didn't bring that you wish you had brought? Or anything you brought that you realized you definitely did not need (or that you brought and were so thankful that you had)?

4) Favorite things you did on your cruise?

5) Any theme nights we should make to bring some accessories for?

Thank you!

Hello CatLadyFemme,

We are on the Alaska in September and I'm wondering if you have any time, could you post the Compass from the time you're on next week? The most recent Alaska ones I can find online are from 2016..a bit old.

Also, if they have any dining specials like the first day out?

Would be very helpful in planning.

Thank you so much.

I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful cruise and time!

Teri

Hello CatLadyFemme,

We are on the Alaska in September and I'm wondering if you have any time, could you post the Compass from the time you're on next week? The most recent Alaska ones I can find online are from 2016..a bit old.

Thank you so much.

Teri

I am going June 15th. I will keep all the compasses and post them.

Hello CatLadyFemme,

Thank you so much.

Teri

I can def post compasses (and will have a live review in the forums) but will likely not be approached about deals given my food allergies.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

We're boarding her in September for a four night Victoria......can you tell us whether the large hot pool is still there where the gym is....?

At least in September it was. We used it several times, and it was just us every time! Less crowded (and warmer) than using an outside one in the evening. We liked the cruise so much we're doing a repeat pacific coastal next year.

We're boarding her in September for a four night Victoria......can you tell us whether the large hot pool is still there where the gym is....?

Yes - Explorer still has the giant hot tub in the Fitness Center. I was in it last week.

Just off Explorer a few days ago - the Sydney to Seattle trip. Has the net for all 23 days, Only lost connection for a few hours (that I know of) near the equator (no surprise there). Didn't do speed tests, but had no problem surfing or email. Remember in Alaska sometimes the mountains get in the way of the satellite line of sight, so I think your issue may be one of topography rather than ship equipment.

We were on Explorer for the 23 day transpacific and had the internet package for the entire cruise (not streaming). It worked OK when my wife used her apple lap top in our cabin, but the computers in the computer room are still on Windows 7 and desperately needed updating. Had lots of problems some days just checking email.

We are boarding next Friday. I have a few questions if you are willing to answer!

1) If I need to be able to check my email, and pull some journal articles, and maybe post a few pics online (but am not planning on streaming, skyping, etc.), was it ok for that? Or should I just cancel our packages?

2) Did you find the food menus to be different than warmer weather cruises (less cold soups and salads, for example)?

3) Anything you didn't bring that you wish you had brought? Or anything you brought that you realized you definitely did not need (or that you brought and were so thankful that you had)?

4) Favorite things you did on your cruise?

5) Any theme nights we should make to bring some accessories for?

Thank you!

The voom is spotty at best. We just got off the ship on Friday. It was terrible coverage and in my opinion not worth the money.

The Ice Show is very good and we enjoyed it immensely. That was our favorite thing.

The food in the MDR is good but not spectacular. The Windjammer was good but yes usual buffet quality. I wish we had gone to the Grille but there was 13 of us with young kids so it seemed like a waste for little ones.

I have all days of the Compass I will post them later.