Brilliance out of Tampa Spring Break Quesion

My husband and I cruised on Brilliance from Tampa in February. One thing we noticed was the ship seem to catered to more of the retiree crowd. This wasn't an issue for us but we would like to take our kids (13 and 11) on the Brilliance for spring break next year (last week of March). The kids loved our video of going under the bridge and they want to experience it live.

Anyone know if there will be more kids on board since it is spring break? Also, any idea if it is a big college spring break cruise destination?

My kids love to cruise and make friends in the kids clubs. Since Brillance doesn't have as many activities as Harmony, making friends to play basketball and ping pong with is important.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks

We did a 5 day Spring Break cruise on Jewel (sister ship) in 2012. The crowd was a good mix, we had a better time than I thought for a spring break cruise. BTW, here is my under the bridge video

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I've been on BR in mid-March before, it was the St. Patrick's Day sailing last year. The crowd was noticeably younger than cruises in the winter. I think that was slightly before the official Spring Break season, so I would think it would be even younger in late March.

We went on Norwegian Epic during Spring Break this year and it was wild. We heard the number was around 1500 University of Florida students. The pool deck and nightclubs were absolutely packed.

We've done Brilliance twice during Spring Break (6 teachers from Tampa). The first time (2017) was great. It was early in March, and before the majority of districts/universities were out for break.

This year, was completely different. We were off the same week as everybody else. The ship was overrun with kids and college students. The kids were not really an issue (although I'm STILL waiting to sail on Brilliance without a student on board with me!). The college kids were obnoxious. Loud, drunk, taking up tons of space wherever they went because of group size...It was a completely different feel. Did we have fun? Absolutely. Was it the same as our other cruises? Not at all.

Your kids will have plenty of potential new friends on board, and my students had a great time. If you are concerned about college kids, check when USF, FSU, and UF are out...those are going to be the bulk of the college students on board.

Thank you for this piece of info...

Your kids will have plenty of potential new friends on board, and my students had a great time. If you are concerned about college kids, check when USF, FSU, and UF are out...those are going to be the bulk of the college students on board.

We are coming from Alabama so I think our spring break is later. Good to know what colleges to check on...

My husband is a teacher so I would imagine cruising with a student isn't the number one thing you would want to do! Y'all work so hard you deserve a break from the kids.

Thanks everyone for the info! I don't mind a good mix but I don't want my school aged kids at a college spring break pool party. Those are things parents just shouldn't know about. HaHa

Thank you for this piece of info...

We are coming from Alabama so I think our spring break is later. Good to know what colleges to check on...

My husband is a teacher so I would imagine cruising with a student isn't the number one thing you would want to do! Y'all work so hard you deserve a break from the kids.

Thanks everyone for the info! I don't mind a good mix but I don't want my school aged kids at a college spring break pool party. Those are things parents just shouldn't know about. HaHa

You are welcome! I've yet to have a cruise out of Tampa without a student on board. Then again I ran into a student while biking around the Ancient Wall of Xi'an, China. I guess it's the price we pay for living 20 minutes from the port.

Fun fact: My mom's side is from Anniston, and I was born at Ft. McClellan...that said, ROLL TIDE!

We have a group booked for spring break 2019, March 18-23, with kids ranging from 11-19. This is the local spring break week for both my college age child and the younger kids.

• 2 months later...
We've done Brilliance twice during Spring Break (6 teachers from Tampa). The first time (2017) was great. It was early in March, and before the majority of districts/universities were out for break.

This year, was completely different. We were off the same week as everybody else. The ship was overrun with kids and college students. The kids were not really an issue (although I'm STILL waiting to sail on Brilliance without a student on board with me!). The college kids were obnoxious. Loud, drunk, taking up tons of space wherever they went because of group size...It was a completely different feel. Did we have fun? Absolutely. Was it the same as our other cruises? Not at all.

Too funny - once we were on Brilliance, we ran into two of my daughter's afterschool care teachers (we live in Tampa, too). That was during St. Pat's in 2016 and it was definitely more of a party crowd because it was during college spring break. We found ourselves waiting in many long lines for drinks and since so many people (including us) had the drink package, the bartenders didn't seem especially motivated to move quickly. I did the Brilliance again the fall of that year for Thanksgiving and it was much more of a family crowd, and the service was a lot better. I think you should be fine in later March as far as more of a younger school-aged crowd vs. college students who tend to have earlier spring breaks (at least the ones here in Florida).

M like to take our kids (13 and 11) on the Brilliance for spring break next year (last week of March).

Anyone know if there will be more kids on board since it is spring break? Also, any idea if it is a big college spring break cruise destination?

Any mass market cruise ship (including Brilliance) will have more kids onboard during spring break. Same for college spring break.

Generally speaking, college spring breaks tend to be more early through mid-March; public school spring breaks tend to be more mid-late March through the week after Easter. It varies a lot from school district to school district and in different parts of the country, but any time during this period will see a noticeable increase in the number of kids and college students.

My husband and I cruised on Brilliance from Tampa in February. One thing we noticed was the ship seem to catered to more of the retiree crowd. This wasn't an issue for us but we would like to take our kids (13 and 11) on the Brilliance for spring break next year (last week of March). The kids loved our video of going under the bridge and they want to experience it live.

My kids love to cruise and make friends in the kids clubs. Since Brillance doesn't have as many activities as Harmony, making friends to play basketball and ping pong with is important.

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks

We're booked on March 23 and was wondering the same, although we are an older couple and was wondering about the amount of college kids. Enjoy your cruise no matter what! That's wat I'm gonna do!