Miracle - Dinner Dress?

bowen9475

How dressy do people get for dinner on the Miracle? Trying to figure out what my husband and 15 yo son should wear. Khakis and polos alright for the dressy nights? Should they go with dress pants? Are ties necessary? Thanks for your help!

Forget Carnivals dress code. Just got off the Triumph and on Elegant Night they let in people wearing jeans, shorts, tee shirts, flip flops and ball caps. I mentioned it and was more or less told to mind my own business.

"I mentioned it and was more or less told to mind my own business"

you mentioned it to whom? On our last 3 cruises, Magic, Dream, and Conquest, the Maitre'd was not allowing any men in the MDR on elegant night in shorts. On the Conquest this slob next to me at the entrance was wearing a tank top. I went directly to the Maitre'd and he told the slob to change if he wanted to dine in the MDR.

"I mentioned it and was more or less told to mind my own business"

you mentioned it to whom? On our last 3 cruises, Magic, Dream, and Conquest, the Maitre'd was not allowing any men in the MDR on elegant night in shorts. On the Conquest this slob next to me at the entrance was wearing a tank top. I went directly to the Maitre'd and he told the slob to change if he wanted to dine in the MDR.

You seem nice.

extremely nice, been in the hospitality for 40 years, do I allow someone barefoot or shirtless in my restaurant, no. Why because there are rules and basic decorum.

So Emcee answered your question and provided the names & positions of the employees he/she spoke with. What more would you recommend someone do in that situation? Is there a better person to speak to?

first of all they were posted about the same time and never saw the post. I find it hard to believe a Maitre'd would suggest he mind his own business. In my experience the front desk would also not suggest you mind your own business.

first of all they were posted about the same time and never saw the post. I find it hard to believe a Maitre'd would suggest he mind his own business. In my experience the front desk would also not suggest you mind your own business.

I reread Emcee’s post and the words “more or less” were used. I don’t find an employee responding in a negative or less than professional way as an impossibility.

Edited by BookDragon

I find it hard to believe a Maitre'd would suggest he mind his own business. In my experience the front desk would also not suggest you mind your own business.

I have overheard conversations on Carnival where guests spoke to asst md's about the attire of others and the response was in effect: "some maitre d's are less strict than others." While that doesn't rise to the level of " MYOB" it gets to the same place.

well then tell them to do their job, the rules are in writing. The reality is people do not like confrontation and many people are afraid to complain.

Yes the dress code is in writing. However it is evident based on the many posts on CC: Not every Maitre’d enforces the rule even when told. At least Emcee tried. It is too bad that he/she got two Carnival employees unwilling to enforce the rules. Regarding the confrontation comment you made, again, it sounds like he/she tried. I personally would try also, but would not engage in escalated behavior (i.e. yelling or making a scene) that embarrassed me or my husband.

I don’t k ow about most of you, but I don’t go on vacation to be the wardrobe police. Who cares what someone else is wearing? You clearly need to re-evaluate your priorities if someone else wearing shorts has such an impact on your life. Relax a little and enjoy that VACATION you paid to go on.

I don’t k ow about most of you, but I don’t go on vacation to be the wardrobe police. Who cares what someone else is wearing? You clearly need to re-evaluate your priorities if someone else wearing shorts has such an impact on your life. Relax a little and enjoy that VACATION you paid to go on.

As of right now, Carnival has a dress code. That gives any paying customer the right to talk with Maitre’ds on enforcing said dress code. When Carnival no longer have a dress code, then your logic works and has merit.

where do you draw the line? so no shirt and a bathing suit would not bother you? Why would you think people are who are following the rules are not relaxing. I have been to many A.I resorts and know it's very easy to politely enforce the rules. "Excuse me sir, this restaurant requires slacks" There is no way Sandals is allowing you wear shorts in a long pant venue.

As of right now, Carnival has a dress code. That gives any paying customer the right to talk with Maitre’ds on enforcing said dress code. When Carnival no longer have a dress code, then your logic works and has merit.

You missed the point completely. Your life will be much more pleasant if you spend less time worrying about what others are wearing and focus more on yourself. What I or anyone else wears to the dining room has absolutely ZERO impact on you. If you are really that bothered then perhaps you should spend your dollars on a more formal cruise line.

How dressy do people get for dinner on the Miracle? Trying to figure out what my husband and 15 yo son should wear. Khakis and polos alright for the dressy nights? Should they go with dress pants? Are ties necessary? Thanks for your help!

This is Carnival where anything goes.

You missed the point completely. Your life will be much more pleasant if you spend less time worrying about what others are wearing and focus more on yourself. What I or anyone else wears to the dining room has absolutely ZERO impact on you. If you are really that bothered then perhaps you should spend your dollars on a more formal cruise line.

You assumed that I should think and feel like you. We’re a military family and are very accustomed to following rules of dress with all the dining outs, banquets, parades, etc. Carnival’s dress code does not stress us or diminish our vacation in the least. Matter of fact, it really isn’t much of a dress code. We would actually be dressing down on Carnival, LOL! Seriously, wearing a pair of pants is really not that difficult. But this discussion isn’t really about a dress code, imo. It is the difference between rule followers and those who choose not to follow rules.

where do you draw the line? so no shirt and a bathing suit would not bother you? Why would you think people are who are following the rules are not relaxing. I have been to many A.I resorts and know it's very easy to politely enforce the rules. "Excuse me sir, this restaurant requires slacks" There is no way Sandals is allowing you wear shorts in a long pant venue.

Honestly, no shirt and and a bathing suit wouldn't bother me. I'm also not afraid of confrontation, but at the end of the day my frustration with what someone is wearing says more about me than it does about them. I don't call the police non-emergency line every time I see a speeder on the highway, nor do I feel it appropriate to report someone out of dress code to the maître d'. I stay in my lane and worry about myself and am much happier as a result.

Honestly, no shirt and and a bathing suit wouldn't bother me. I'm also not afraid of confrontation, but at the end of the day my frustration with what someone is wearing says more about me than it does about them. I don't call the police non-emergency line every time I see a speeder on the highway, nor do I feel it appropriate to report someone out of dress code to the maître d'. I stay in my lane and worry about myself and am much happier as a result.

and that sir (or ma'am? sorry, I don't know) is what would make you a much more enjoyable person to be around.

Yes they would be fine with polos and khakis! No shorts of any kind on dressy night, that's about it!