Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

Currwntly on the Getaway. Captain advised a few minutes ago that the ship Is turning around to search for a crew member that appears to have gone overboard last night. No info yet on delay in arrival to Miami. We're moving at Max speed to the estimated coordinates where he went over. Will advise if I hear more on possible delay to arrival.

This morning there were numerous calls over the PA for the crew member and then finally the captain came on and advised us probably five minutes after the turn around. We're booking at full speed and it's a little rocky right now. The bartenders on vibe deck seemed quite disturbed and said that the person had not been aboard long, plus the announcement said the crew member had a 'defect' and went over board. Several crew members have said that indicates he intended to jump over. Hopefully it goes well though.

Captain just made an announcement that we are about an hour from the coordinates and will begin a search pattern at that time. Also informed us that arrival in Miami will be delayed to 15:00 (3pm) tomorrow at the earliest. Also captain said that the crew member did jump over and did not fall over.

Cruise director then informed that they will be opening up internet cafe for people to change flights, but will NOT be reimbursing any change fees for affected flights. Also will not be opening up phone lines to call airlines, you will have to use internet cafe.

Is the not reimbursing for flight changes due to their cree member jumping over standard practice? Or am I just going to have to raise hell with the home office about it when I get back?

Captain just made an announcement that we are about an hour from the coordinates and will begin a search pattern at that time. Also informed us that arrival in Miami will be delayed to 15:00 (3pm) tomorrow at the earliest. Also captain said that the crew member did jump over and did not fall over.

Cruise director then informed that they will be opening up internet cafe for people to change flights, but will NOT be reimbursing any change fees for affected flights. Also will not be opening up phone lines to call airlines, you will have to use internet cafe.

Is the not reimbursing for flight changes due to their cree member jumping over standard practice? Or am I just going to have to raise hell with the home office about it when I get back?

That’s what trip insurance is for. There are many reasons a ship can get delayed.

So sad. I realize they have to do something, but the odds of finding this crew member is barely above zero.

We’re boarding tomorrow. Appreciate the updates and try to enjoy the rest of your cruise.

I hope, at least for the family, that they find the remains so the family will have some closure. So sad... life is not always what we want it to be... RIP to the poor soul.

And yes, I'd love for them to find the crew member alive, however, the odds are not that good.

NCL has no obligation to get you back a a certain. Maritime laws require NCL to commence a search and remain on station until relieved by the coast guard. No reason that they should even consider change fees, those are the passengers problems.

Thank you so much for the info! Horrible about the crew member.

NCL isn’t giving any info out to us ... we have a herd of kids and do not want to go to the port at noon only to find we are waiting for 8+ hours.

Again, we really appreciate the information and hope you and your family can make decent arrangements to get home tomorrow once you get to port.

We pray for the crew member.

I am boarding tommorow and I must say, communication is terrible. I had to go on this site to get any information. Not even their call center was aware of the delay. Above all else. But the time this is said and done, those that are suppose to board are going to loose the whole afternoon they paid for. Those who have travel plans are going to find themselves stranded. Though NCLs position is no compensation. And for the person that said that NCL doesn't have to give back fees. The question is not if "they have to", the issue is to do what is right. They can simply improve their communications, let customers both arriving and departing what to expect and give reasonable accomedation with on board credits for those coming on, or towards a future NCL purchase for those leaving.Not to mention I am sure this has ruined tonight for those currently onboard. At the end of the day NCL has a responsibility by law of what they have to do tonight, but they have significant improvement opportunities in their outbound communications concerning delays and their overall handling with their customers.

This is a very sad situation. Its not your typical fall over or jump. They are still about an hour away from the search area? OMG. That means no one knew he/she was overboard and must have discovered them missing or a note to check video to see the jump. God bless the captain and crew as they do what they can to leave no crew or passenger behind.

BTW, don't vent at NCL for poor communication yet. They have no idea when they will be back in Miami at this time so there is nothing to say. The captain said 3pm at the earliest. There will be another update once the search is over and the ship is heading back to Miami. This is happening real time so of course the call center is not aware as early as this site since a passenger came here to update. Talk about compensation at this time is not appropriate. Let the ship get back to Miami first.

Edited by david_sobe

I contacted the shuttle service I’m using and they are saying the port of Miami schedule that is updated by the coast guard is showing arrival between 10- 1pm. I found a site for port of miami Biscayne Bay pilots schedule for ports and it’s showing arrival of the getaway at 10 am. It was just updated a little bit ago. Just wish NCL would provide us better info.

Imagine if that's your cabin mate ... It looked like they are finally on station, in the general search area, with extra eyes on the bow & probably elsewhere.

13ae35cf19a0e0c664f2a53431228dfe.jpg

I don't think this is their recent location, but if it is ... 3 other cruise ships are in that general area. Still out of the usual AIS marine radar tracking sites that generally report, when in range ... this could possibly be from satellite-subscribed data, don't quote or reference this as it can be misleading.

cc94735417cc4da0db489ddc715ef45f.jpg

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk