Dream Check-in or Mailbox?

cruisinmems

This review from earlier in the week sounds like they've gone to the new process which would be in the mailbox.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2651056

I prefer the old process. I was on the Dream 1/28/18. Check in went smoothly. The process worked just fine. There was nothing painful about it. I was not uncomfortable.

I prefer the old process. I was on the Dream 1/28/18. Check in went smoothly. The process worked just fine. There was nothing painful about it. I was not uncomfortable.

I had the new process on Breeze in March and it blew away every embarkation I've had. A short first line downstairs. No second line upstairs. My check-in time was 11:30 and I was boarding at 11:50. I'd be interested to know what there is to like better about the old process.

I had the new process on Breeze in March and it blew away every embarkation I've had. A short first line downstairs. No second line upstairs. My check-in time was 11:30 and I was boarding at 11:50.

I get there around when the port opens. This new process trades the wait in line for a longer wait in a seat. I would prefer to wait in line. At least I would be doing something other than just sitting.

I get there around when the port opens. This new process trades the wait in line for a longer wait in a seat. I would prefer to wait in line. At least I would be doing something other than just sitting.

Disagree. It usually takes me an hour to get on the ship. For me it was just a shorter wait period. I arrive at my assigned time though.

Disagree. It usually takes me an hour to get on the ship. For me it was just a shorter wait period. I arrive at my assigned time though.

I get to a port between 10:00am and 10:30am. The check-in line has never taken more than 5 - 10 minutes. I also have FTTF each time.

The new process won't change the total time I spend in the terminal before boarding. It will just make it feel longer because I will be sitting around with nothing to do for a longer period of time.

I go early on a new-to-me ship class because I want to take the Behind the Fun tour. One of the reasons I buy FTTF is because I like being able to take a nap in a bed instead of on a bench. I don't always take a nap, but I like having the option. I don't sleep much(if at all) the night before a vacation.

I don't buy anything until the ship has set sail. Carrying around a paper boarding pass isn't a big deal. I only have one daiquiri on the first day just so I can say I had alcohol on the ship. I can't tolerate any other alcoholic drink. I have one smoothie each night and a chocolate shake on the last sea day.

I get to a port between 10:00am and 10:30am. The check-in line has never taken more than 5 - 10 minutes. I also have FTTF each time.

The new process won't change the total time I spend in the terminal before boarding. It will just make it feel longer because I will be sitting around with nothing to do for a longer period of time.

I go early on a new-to-me ship class because I want to take the Behind the Fun tour. One of the reasons I buy FTTF is because I like being able to take a nap in a bed instead of on a bench. I don't always take a nap, but I like having the option. I don't sleep much(if at all) the night before a vacation.

I don't buy anything until the ship has set sail. Carrying around a paper boarding pass isn't a big deal. I only have one daiquiri on the first day just so I can say I had alcohol on the ship. I can't tolerate any other alcoholic drink. I have one smoothie each night and a chocolate shake on the last sea day.

As an average joe...No plat, dia or fttf, the check-in on Triumph in New Orleans last year was the most miserable I've ever experienced. After waiting in the security line they sat us in zones. They wanted every seat in every zone filled...so you were packed in like sardines in some cases between people you didn't know...with your carry-on on your lap because there was a row of people facing you as well. That lasted 20-30 mins...Then we got to wait in the check-in line.

it expediates the process to put them in the mail box. You dont have a clerk looking for all your sign and sail cards. PLUS it keep s the people out of the halls until that time too

I can definitely confirm that Dream now places the sail and sign cards in the mailbox outside the stateroom. This is infinitely better than the old system where you had to gather everyone in your party and take turns getting your picture taken, etc. It was always a zoo. This was so smooth and seamless. I was truly impressed! If you don't want to sit in the chairs waiting, then simply show up at the terminal after boarding begins.

Cheers!

I can definitely confirm that Dream now places the sail and sign cards in the mailbox outside the stateroom. This is infinitely better than the old system where you had to gather everyone in your party and take turns getting your picture taken, etc. It was always a zoo. This was so smooth and seamless. I was truly impressed! If you don't want to sit in the chairs waiting, then simply show up at the terminal after boarding begins.

Cheers!

I have never experienced the zoo that most people seem to have experienced. I usually only cruise in December - February due to those months having better weather for me. With the exception of my first cruise, I have only cruised from the West Coast outside of those months. I was 13 on my first cruise, so I had no say in choosing the time of year.

I would consider coming later if I was by myself on a ship class that I had already taken the Behind the Fun tour on. They will only take up to 32 people between the two tours. I go to the excursions desk to secure a spot before doing anything else. If I showed up later, the tours might be full.

If my mom is with me, I have to board earlier. FTTF is a necessity for her.

Do you get your S & S card at check-in or in your mailbox on the Dream? Thanks!

Was on last month . Sail and sign cards are now in your mailbox. We were the first cruise they did this on and it went fairly smooth.

This may be a stupid question, but if your S&S card is in your mailbox at your room, and you cannot get to your room until 130p, then how do you buy any drinks before then...just give the waiter your cabin number and sign the receipt?

Cheers!

We sail on the Dream a lot, and have another cruise scheduled in October. We've never had any issues with the old system, and don't have any qualms about the new one.......Honestly, any small inconvenience during boarding is always tempered by the excitement of a cruise!:cool:

But, two questions:

When does CCL take the passenger photo that's to be embedded into the data of the card? Surely it's still on the card somewhere.

And if the card is delivered outside your stateroom just after boarding, what prevents another passenger accidentally taking their carry-ons into your room?

Doug

We sail on the Dream a lot, and have another cruise scheduled in October. We've never had any issues with the old system, and don't have any qualms about the new one.......Honestly, any small inconvenience during boarding is always tempered by the excitement of a cruise![emoji41]

But, two questions:

When does CCL take the passenger photo that's to be embedded into the data of the card? Surely it's still on the card somewhere.

And if the card is delivered outside your stateroom just after boarding, what prevents another passenger accidentally taking their carry-ons into your room?

Doug

They either use your Passport photo or take it on an iPad before you get on the gangway to the ship.

Haven’t heard of it happening and RC has been using this system longer than Carnival with no issues. They would have to be idiots (not ruling that out but hoping they can read their own names). This is the envelope they are in.

c53154d64bdfd93a7b44b3dfcbc79beb.jpg

b3bf3191fedc3fe0b19ad0fb053558d2.jpg

We sail on the Dream a lot, and have another cruise scheduled in October. We've never had any issues with the old system, and don't have any qualms about the new one.......Honestly, any small inconvenience during boarding is always tempered by the excitement of a cruise!:cool:

But, two questions:

Doug

In Galveston under the new system it seemed like they were doing that at or just before security. That person who looks at your ID and boarding pass and tells you which security line to get in. They always use my passport photo though.

They either use your Passport photo or take it on an iPad before you get on the gangway to the ship.

Haven’t heard of it happening and RC has been using this system longer than Carnival with no issues. They would have to be idiots (not ruling that out but hoping they can read their own names). This is the envelope they are in.

c53154d64bdfd93a7b44b3dfcbc79beb.jpg

b3bf3191fedc3fe0b19ad0fb053558d2.jpg

He, thanks much for taking the time to answer my questions and post the photos. Always good to know what to expect.

But, two questions:

And if the card is delivered outside your stateroom just after boarding, what prevents another passenger accidentally taking their carry-ons into your room? Why would anyone want to put their luggage in someone else's cabin?

Doug

Your photo isn't actually embedded on the card. It's in the computer system that pops up when they insert your card.

The only people that have access to their cabins is the Platinum/Diamond and those that have purchased FTTF (Possibly suites) as soon as they board the ship. Those passengers will have their cards available when they board. All others won't have theirs until the cabins are ready at 1:30.

If when you do get to your cabin and the envelope with your cards in it has been tampered with. you are suppose to go to Guest Services and report it. So far, I have not seen anything posted on here where someone's envelope has been tampered with.

Your photo isn't actually embedded on the card. It's in the computer system that pops up when they insert your card.

The only people that have access to their cabins is the Platinum/Diamond and those that have purchased FTTF (Possibly suites) as soon as they board the ship. Those passengers will have their cards available when they board. All others won't have theirs until the cabins are ready at 1:30.

If when you do get to your cabin and the envelope with your cards in it has been tampered with. you are suppose to go to Guest Services and report it. So far, I have not seen anything posted on here where someone's envelope has been tampered with.

All of this is correct except Suites aren’t included.