$25 per person travel insurance offer from NCL?

Anyone else get an email like this? It apparently gets sent after final payment. Seems to good to be true?Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and Norwegian Breakaway for your upcoming cruise vacation.

We are happy to announce that Norwegian has introduced a travel protection policy, Essentials Travel Protection Plan, that you can purchase after making your final payment.

Essentials Travel Protection Plan is the ideal plan for our guests who are looking for just the essentials.

This streamlined option gives you the opportunity to purchase valuable travel arrangement, medical and baggage protection at $25 per person.If you have any questions or would like more information about Essentials Travel Protection Plan, please contact your personal travel consultant at 1-866-234-7350.

We are looking forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Wow...our final payment date is this friday the 5th. But we are paid in full. Will see if we receive this email. I've already purchased travel insurance the other day from trip insurance dot com.

Wow...our final payment date is this friday the 5th. But we are paid in full. Will see if we receive this email. I've already purchased travel insurance the other day from trip insurance dot com.

Why didn't you just type tripinsurance.com ? There is really no need to play this game of spelling out URLs.

We did just get this same email. I started purchasing my travel insurance elsewhere for better coverage. My DH has many pre-existing conditions and I wanted better coverage than NCL could provide. This is the first time we have received an email like that one.

Anyone else get an email like this? It apparently gets sent after final payment. Seems to good to be true?Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and Norwegian Breakaway for your upcoming cruise vacation.

We are happy to announce that Norwegian has introduced a travel protection policy, Essentials Travel Protection Plan, that you can purchase after making your final payment.

Essentials Travel Protection Plan is the ideal plan for our guests who are looking for just the essentials.

This streamlined option gives you the opportunity to purchase valuable travel arrangement, medical and baggage protection at $25 per person.If you have any questions or would like more information about Essentials Travel Protection Plan, please contact your personal travel consultant at 1-866-234-7350.

We are looking forward to welcoming you onboard.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

I got this w-mail as well. Had originally booked insurance with NCL but when I got the contract and read it, it would not come close to covering the costs of a big medical emergency ! So called them and cancelled the policy and got it here at a local travel agency.

I got this w-mail as well. Had originally booked insurance with NCL but when I got the contract and read it, it would not come close to covering the costs of a big medical emergency ! So called them and cancelled the policy and got it here at a local travel agency.

Not surprised with the low premium rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would suppose that you can buy additional insurance "BUT" The Coordination of Benefits disclaimer would nullify having two

or more policies and none of which covers so called existing conditions.

Then wait for the government bureaucracy to inflate the doughnut hole so you fall through that hole and the co-payment goes

from $10 to $4000 !

Now aren't you the smart one buying that all inclusive insurance IF CONDITIONS ARE MET !

So don't break a leg in the Theatre or during a show - it's Bad Luck UNLESS CONDITIONS ARE MET !

it's been over a year since i looked at NCL policy so maybe things changed. but for $25, if you have nothing and plan to buy nothing. id probably sign up. however if you are going to buy real insurance later, dont buy this. i believe ncl gives 75 or 90% back if you cancel your cruise at anytime and you can use it for future cruising and i think thats the best thing about their policy. i do know their limits for things were very poor compared to real insurance and said to myself. "self, dont buy this"

as a real life quote here are 2 i have done myself in the past year:

5500 haven cruise cost about 350 from tripinsurancestore and has like 500K in coverage and 75% cancel for any reason policy

2500 cruise cost 163 for the same policy

obviously age has something to do with the policies but i like the global alert policy they have for the money. i research to the Nth degree when spending my money (even to research what crew doors are across from my cabin before i board) and i'm confident in this plan.

We rec'd the same email.

This is the same package insurance NCL sells except for the cancellation coverage. The NCL rep I talked to didn't have a ton of information, and nowhere on their website is the exact package spelled out, so this may be something relatively new.

Without the cancellation coverage, what you have left is trip delay, medical and baggage.

Since my niece is flying in on the day of the cruise, even though the delay coverage is only like $500, it is still better than nothing.

For $50.00 for the two of us, I took it. A little coverage is better than nothing, and the price was right for a little coverage.

Just as an FYI; you can medical coverage only at a much more reasonable cost than full trip insurance with cancellation/delay coverage. I took a trip recently that was much more expensive than a typical trip and was very far off the beaten path so evacuation insurance was a must. Comprehensive trip insurance was $500+ and more than I was willing to spend. I was able to get a fantastic medical only policy with a million dollar benefit limit and no deductible with evacuation for $35 for 2 weeks.

So buyer beware, you still may be better shopping around if you are looking for some type of low cost coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we never buy trip insurance. if we miss the ship for some reason, we fully accept we are out the few thousand. we always fly at least a day early. its a risk we are willing to take.

i am terrified about a medivac incident tho. for $50 total if this is covered it seems worth it.

Their basic insurance is very basic.

You need to read the coverage very carefully to see if it is worth it or not for you.

If I was living in Florida and taking a cruise out of a nearby port, I may figure that their basic is okay. However, for a cruise leaving from an international port, that also includes airfare, etc., getting a policy that covers everything is, in my opinion, more than worth it. When I originally looked into the NCL insurance, I believe that you had to book through their air carrier as well, if not, they would not cover lost airfare from other airlines.

also some insurance covers things like illness before the trip , which sometimes you forget about. there is also the possibility that your travelmate cannot go and i know on my policy that means i get my money back too. i asked about this. so insurance can cover a lot more than the typical hurricane and medivac rescues we think about. heck i bet it can even take care of an accident on the way to the pier.

• 1 year later...

I have not received this email, but an offer to buy trip insurance at $25 is part of the online check-in process.

I cancelled a trip earlier this year and paid a small penalty to NCL as a result. That reason isn't covered in the NCL policy so I am not likely to purchase the insurance for the rebooked family trip. It is at a low rate so even if I lose the entire amount it isn't a big deal.

My Visa card carries insurance that would cover my trip interruption and medical emergency issues.

On Friday a lawsuit was filed in Miami against airlines and cruise lines (NCL) accusing them of getting kick backs selling insurance in addition to how silly the insurance is. The insurance is cheap so passengers pay for it but it really does not cover the most basic issues about traveling - missing your flight or cruise, etc. I was going to start a thread on this on Friday but thought this topic had been debated enough. NCL stated they don't comment on pending litigation. American Airlines settled out of court. So NCL customers who bought this cheap insurance could get a refund coming if the suit settles or the plaintiff wins.

I have not been pressured to buy NCL insurance but I have with American Airlines. They make you check boxes declining insurance several times after you purchase a ticket. As I said before, the travel industry scares people into buying travel insurance. However if you spent a fortune on a cruise (like me) you will definitely protect it with insurance in case you cannot go on the cruise as planned. It sounds to me that this $25 insurance is exactly what the lawsuit is about. Below is the link.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-bz-travel-insurance-kickback-suits-20180927-story.html

Can someone advise if I purchased ins with the cruise line or Nation wide cruise ins would the

Essentials Travel Protection Plan I be a duplicate do we need both or just one . any help greatly appreciated thank you

buy 3rd party.

cheaper and better protection.

i used insuremytrip.com for evac only coverage.

$21 total cost for $500k evac and $25k PRIMARY medical on 20day (b2b) cruise.

You dont need evac to use the medical portion of the insurance.

just put down $0 for cost of cruise

Trip insurance is not a "one size fits all." It's up to the individual to determine what's best for them. Shop around and don't take a plan simply because it's a good deal. Be sure to read the fine print of what it does and doesn't cover.

Can someone advise if I purchased ins with the cruise line or Nation wide cruise ins would the

Essentials Travel Protection Plan I be a duplicate do we need both or just one . any help greatly appreciated thank you

No, no one can tell you that without reading the terms of the two specific policies you purchased. Read and you will have your answer.