dialysis in Cancun?

Seriously ... this HAS to be one of 'those' questions. A question that is NOT a real question. WHY would anyone want to do dialysis in Mexico ??? I wouldn't trust it.

There's a big difference between wanting something and requiring something!

I am in awe and admiration that someone that has to have dialysis is planning a cruise and living their life to the fullest! Good for them!!

There's a big difference between wanting something and requiring something!

I am in awe and admiration that someone that has to have dialysis is planning a cruise and living their life to the fullest! Good for them!!

While they 'require' dialysis to live, they DON'T require it to be done in Mexico! That is the 'want' of their post. And as most of the other posters have said .... DON'T chance it, it 'could' cost you your life!

While they 'require' dialysis to live, they DON'T require it to be done in Mexico! That is the 'want' of their post. And as most of the other posters have said .... DON'T chance it, it 'could' cost you your life!

Are you serious? Do you think there are no people living in Mexico who require dialysis? Those that do, where exactly do you think they receive their treatment from?

Unbelievable.

My dad did dialysis in Cozumel once years ago. I know you're skiing about Cancun. He went to the hospital for it to be done. We had to Fed Ex his medical information. It was about 1000, which included all transportation and an interpreter who stayed with him. The hospital was clean but not as nice as the one in Grand Cayman. Total we spent about 1600 for his dialysis on that 7 day cruise. We had a backup in Jamaica in case the ship couldn't go to Grand Cayman. He survived dialysis in Mexico without any side affects.

Are you serious? Do you think there are no people living in Mexico who require dialysis? Those that do, where exactly do you think they receive their treatment from?

Unbelievable.

Exactly! These are probably the same people that think that any prescription meds you get at a Mexican pharmacy are either placebos or will kill you.

There is this conceited image that only in the USA can you get good medical care. Ignorance is bliss they say, but sometimes, ignorance can be plain insulting. I have actually heard fellow "Americans" while in other European countries tell people, well in the US, this is the way it is done, like it matters to that person?

I can tell you that medical care in the USA in many areas are substandard and lacking and many countries have just as good facilities and doctors.

Royal Caribbean does.

A HUGE BS on this one.

Royal does not offer Dialysis as a regular service on their ships.

A company called Dialysis At Sea does offer a few cruises a year via various cruise lines but these are specialized.

A HUGE BS on this one.

Royal does not offer Dialysis as a regular service on their ships.

A company called Dialysis At Sea does offer a few cruises a year via various cruise lines but these are specialized.

Yes, I know it’s through dialysis at sea. I have a friend who does it. I’d rather have something that is tested and for convenience, is onboard. Not a nice response to say what you did. I revise my question, does Carnival not have the dialysis at sea offered on some sailings?

They question should not be “why would anyone WANT to have dialysis in Mexico” but “WHAT are my options for getting life-sustaining treatments that allow me to enjoy vacationing and travel”? We took my mother in several cruises and set up dialysis for her. She was on dialysis for 7 years. Granted that was a few years ago, and obviously prices have increased... but we always found adequate and safe facilities. She did dialysis in Key West, Puerto Rico, Barbados and St Martin ... but we looked into Cozumel once as a backup. I say use good judgement but live your life and good on you for finding solutions...

Dialysis at Sea encompasses many cruise lines, including Carnival. Ask about it at your dialysis center. It's not cheap, as Medicare doesn't cover it out of the country. But, you may be able to get some of the costs reimbursed once you get home. Certainly not all of it, but a portion. You already know what they charge per treatment, and what portion of that charge they actually pay.....so you have to be prepared for those costs!

Does Carnival not have dialysis on some cruises? Royal Caribbean does.

Yes, I know it’s through dialysis at sea. I have a friend who does it. I’d rather have something that is tested and for convenience, is onboard. Not a nice response to say what you did. I revise my question, does Carnival not have the dialysis at sea offered on some sailings?

Then say what you mean. Don't make blanket statements that lead people to assume that Royal does something or offers a service when in fact they do not.

What Royal does do, along with most every cruise line, to include Carnival, is offer services thru Dialysis at Sea only on special cruises.

Then say what you mean. Don't make blanket statements that lead people to assume that Royal does something or offers a service when in fact they do not.

What Royal does do, along with most every cruise line, to include Carnival, is offer services thru Dialysis at Sea only on special cruises.

Good grief. Folks like you are why I post infrequently. My statement might not have been specific enough for YOU, but to those needing dialysis it was enough to prompt someone to call RC and other lines to ask and check it out.

Chill, and happy thanksgiving.

I was on Dialysis (home heamo) up until 5 weeks ago when I got my transplant, I didn't stop that from allowing me to cruise at all. Granted I'm in Australia and maximum cruise nights I did was 5 nights from Sydney - Hobart and back and didn't 'need' Dialysis during the cruise (which is why I only did short ones) but I Dialysed the night before we left for 8 hours, got off at 2.30/3am and flew to Sydney on the 6am flight the morning of the Cruise. Cruising on Dialysis is very easy if you're willing to forgo the longer cruises otherwise you do need to plan well in advance. DAS is crazy expensive, one cruise I looked at on RCI for 10 nighter to the Pacific Islands was $4,000 for an INSIDE - I could do at bare minimum seven 3-5 night cruises around Australia for that price :o I've also gone away to visit my best friend in Brisbane for 3 nights when I did in centre Dialysis, Dialysed Friday, came back Monday and Dialysed that afternoon. Not too hard at all. I'd Dialyse in Mexico in a HEARTBEAT if it meant I could cruise there!!!!!! Mexico isn't a 3rd world without good healthcare, they do have people on Dialysis.. I know some actually and they're all still alive and kicking :rolleyes: You should see the Pacific Islands if you want to see 'bare necessities' ;)

Anyone on Dialysis reading this: don't let Dialysis stop you from living life and doing what you love... I've done a 3 nighter on P&O Pacific Pearl, 2 nighter on P&O Pacific Eden, 5 nighter on P&O Pacific Jewel and off on a 3 nighter in March on Carnival Legend. Last fortnight I booked my first 10 night cruise to the South Pacific Islands on the Carnival Spirit for $1600pp...if my new kidney fails before that time comes I'll just cancel and book some short cruises. I love Cruising and Dialysis won't ever stop me from doing what I love :D:D

Also it depends WHICH Dialysis you're on - if you are on PD you can take your PD supplies with you on most cruise lines; you just need to contact them and ask!