DoD Civilians?

Cruizer Bill

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been working for the Air Force for over 32 years. It's too bad that the cruise lines don't extend any benefits to DoD civilians, especially since I've served overseas and have recently been asked to deploy just like the active duty.

I was TDY to Operation PROVIDE COMFORT and the military I travelled with received hazardous duty pay, family separation, and tax-free earnings, but as a civilian, I didn't get any of those benefits even though we were all on the same orders. Since my own government didn't provide those benefits, I guess I could understand why the cruise lines don't either.

I've been working for the Air Force for over 32 years. It's too bad that the cruise lines don't extend any benefits to DoD civilians, especially since I've served overseas and have recently been asked to deploy just like the active duty.

I was TDY to Operation PROVIDE COMFORT and the military I travelled with received hazardous duty pay, family separation, and tax-free earnings, but as a civilian, I didn't get any of those benefits even though we were all on the same orders. Since my own government didn't provide those benefits, I guess I could understand why the cruise lines don't either.

Civil service does not provide these benefits because you get the joy and ability of being able to quit your job without being put in jail! I did 6 years military before becoming a DOD civilian. If we got the same benefits and privileges as the military then why on earth would anyone even consider joining the military!

Civil service does not provide these benefits because you get the joy and ability of being able to quit your job without being put in jail! I did 6 years military before becoming a DOD civilian. If we got the same benefits and privileges as the military then why on earth would anyone even consider joining the military!

Because they get 20 year retirement, the GI Bill, VA Benefits and many other nice things. I was just hoping for some kind of discount on a cruise, that's all.

Whoa. I didn't say I thought we were entitled; I simply said that it's too bad that the cruise lines don't give a discount. I'm also a military widow and I think it would be nice if the cruise lines extended discounts to military widows (especially those whose husband's died in the service of their country), but they don't. I understand and accept that fact, but that doesn't mean I don't think it would be nice if they did provide a discount. You gave 6 years; I gave up the rest of my life with my husband.

As far as why anyone would join, most of the folks I work with and the folks my husband served with didn't join to get the "benefits and privileges," (although they did appreciate the benefits and privileges they received). Personally, those benefits aren't enough compensation.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this Board last year as a forum to share information related to military/retired military cruise deals and options. Civil Service and Military both have their place in our society, and both are respected for what they do and the hardships of some of thier duties.

Let's play nice.

Kunapets

I started this Board last year as a forum to share information related to military/retired military cruise deals and options. Civil Service and Military both have their place in our society, and both are respected for what they do and the hardships of some of thier duties.

Let's play nice.

Kunapets

Sorry if it sounds like we are not "playing nice." Unfortunately, tone of voice doesn't come across on posts....I would hope that everyone who posted was simply adding to the discussion by providing a viewpoint. I'd like to think that people can post differing viewpoints, or disagreements, without it being taken as a "slam." If my post came across as confrontational, then I apologize. <said with a sincere tone of voice, and NOT in a "huff" with arms crossed>;)

Whoa. I didn't say I thought we were entitled; I simply said that it's too bad that the cruise lines don't give a discount. I'm also a military widow and I think it would be nice if the cruise lines extended discounts to military widows (especially those whose husband's died in the service of their country), but they don't. I understand and accept that fact, but that doesn't mean I don't think it would be nice if they did provide a discount. You gave 6 years; I gave up the rest of my life with my husband.

From the NCL website:

Who Qualifies

• Veterans Advantage Members with Veterans Advantage ID
  • Active personnel serving with:
    • Department of the Army - WHITE ID
    • Department of the Navy - WHITE ID
    • Department of the Air Force - WHITE ID
    • U.S. Coast Guard - WHITE ID
    • U.S. Marine Corps - WHITE ID
    • National Guard Bureau - WHITE ID
    • Reserves - WHITE ID
    • Canadian National Defense - WHITE N.D.21 ID

[*]Retired personnel

• U.S. - BLUE or TAN ID
    • Canadian National Defense - WHITE N.D.21 ID

[*]Veterans - Proof of Military Service

[*]Honorably Discharged

• BLUE
    • DD214 Form

[*]Widows

It doesnt say what ID you would need but I'm sure you could call NCL and ask.

Lois

• 1 year later...

deleted

• 1 month later...

Archived