Vegetarians hung out to dry by 2.0 changes.

Nemspy

As the spouse of a vegetarian and a cruiser who, after five cruises in two years, was finding the food growing a bit samey and was looking forward to this new variety to give us a reason to book another cruise, I am a bit disappointed to discover that, unless they have some sort of secret menu, neither Guy's Burger Bar or The Blue Iguana offer vegetarian options.

While I'd be fine, it would be a case of same old for my wife and in order for a cruise to be new and exciting it needs to have interesting new stuff for both of us.

Couldn't believe some of the comments on John Heald's thread such as "There are veggie burgers elsewhere - no need for them at Guy's!" -- Well, yeah, but there are regular burgers elsewhere too, so by that rationale why have Guy's at all? Guy Fierri's places on land have veg burgers, why would Carnival not cater in this area?

I was thinking you could do a burrito at the Blue Iguana without the meat. You could do rice, beans, cheese, etc. and just ask not to put on the meat portion. I do it all the time at a similar restaurant out here and have never had a problem with it. In fact, they are pretty tasty! They really should have had some sort of veggie burger at Guy's. Where CAN you get a veggie burger now? I really like them!

Because only 3% of the US population is vegetarian. So on a ship of 3000 guests only about 90 people are vegetarian. Besides there is plenty of veggie food available.

But for that three % you have to consider all the other people who might be travelling with vegetarians and be less likely to book cruises because there's nothing new and interesting on offer for their cruise-mate. Then there's also people who might be more health conscious and fancy a veggie option - that brings it up to a bit more than 3% impacted by this.

Yes, there's veggie food available, but take it from me - it's not much fun as someone married to a Vegetarian going to the MDR on your fifth cruise inside of two years to tuck into yet another exciting variation only to have to see your spouse eating the same old thing they ordered last time because it's the vegetarian option for that night. Of course this is understandable, you can't expect Carnival to provide anywhere near the variety as they do for non vegetarians, but when they introduce new things like BI and GBB it's a bit of a downer when there's NOTHING to call vegetarians or their families back to Carnival.

By saying there's "plenty of vegetarian food available", you're basically telling vegetarians to "make do" with the same old stuff. People don't cruise to "make do" and even though I, as a proud carnivore would not be making do, there's little chance that I'm going to be able to drum up any spousal enthusiasm when all these exciting dining upgrades mean nothing to her.

It really wouldn't have been too difficult to offer at least a token vegetarian option at these places.

Never mind the small stuff, whether you can get a veggie burger at Guy's or tofu options at The Blue Iguana. Small stuff.

I am more interested in the new menu in the MDR. How vegetarian friendly is that? What about the buffet options.

If I ,or my loved ones didn't eat meat, the new menu would be my first priority.

Not a veggie burger at Guy's. That is easily added.

I wouldn't go to a steakhouse expecting to find a vegetarian menu, so I wouldn't go to Guy's Burger bar to expect to find a veggie choice either. It seems like you can get a vegetarian burrito so I don't see what the complaint is with that?

While I respect anyone's choice to be vegetarian, whether it's choosing not to eat read meat or for health reasons, the truth of the matter is that most people aren't vegetarians. But, there are some vegetarian choices available and if you have to "make do" you're no different than anyone else who is limited, such as the people who have celiac or other allergies.

I wouldn't go to a steakhouse expecting to find a vegetarian menu, so I wouldn't go to Guy's Burger bar to expect to find a veggie choice either. It seems like you can get a vegetarian burrito so I don't see what the complaint is with that?

I didn't see any vegetarian burrito listed on the Blue Iguana menu. Are we talking about the same old burrito station on ships that have it where your "vegetarian option" is just the meat version without the meat?

Why would you not expect to find a vegetarian option at Guy's Burger Bar? Every burger bar here in Las Vegas (and we have many) offers vegetarian burgers - Hubert Keller's "Burger Bar" at Mandalay Bay offers two different style vegetarian burgers and three different types of vegetarian pattie. Even Guy Fierri's own land-based restaurants sell vegetarian burgers.

This isn't 1965, vegetarianism, heart-smartness, meatless Mondays etc aren't exactly out-there fringe concepts anymore.

I didn't see any vegetarian burrito listed on the Blue Iguana menu. Are we talking about the same old burrito station on ships that have it where your "vegetarian option" is just the meat version without the meat?

Why would you not expect to find a vegetarian option at Guy's Burger Bar? Every burger bar here in Las Vegas (and we have many) offers vegetarian burgers - Hubert Keller's "Burger Bar" at Mandalay Bay offers two different style vegetarian burgers and three different types of vegetarian pattie. Even Guy Fierri's own land-based restaurants sell vegetarian burgers.

This isn't 1965, vegetarianism, heart-smartness, meatless Mondays etc aren't exactly out-there fringe concepts anymore.

As I am getting ready to throw 3 16oz T-Bones on the grill, meatless Mondays are an out-there fringe concept. :D j/k

Alot of the same reasons that chicken is now "by request only... maybe." With the addition that you need a separate grill for the veggie burgers because if they are on the same grill, some people will flake out.

ROFLMAO!!! Soo true:D

With the addition that you need a separate grill for the veggie burgers because if they are on the same grill, some people will flake out.
Was wondering about that. Both my DW and DD like veggie burgers and don't care if meat was cooked on it before,

but they are not vegetarian. Wondering how vegetarians feel about this. Would the same grill or cook top be OK?

Put me in the camp that believes it is smart to try to cater to all of your clients. Adding veggie burgers is easy.

Adding an extra grill top is not. Trying to keep it clean between meat burgers doesn't sound so hard.

Can't we all try and get along.(OK - A little over the top)

But for that three % you have to consider all the other people who might be travelling with vegetarians and be less likely to book cruises because there's nothing new and interesting on offer for their cruise-mate. Then there's also people who might be more health conscious and fancy a veggie option - that brings it up to a bit more than 3% impacted by this.

Yes, there's veggie food available, but take it from me - it's not much fun as someone married to a Vegetarian going to the MDR on your fifth cruise inside of two years to tuck into yet another exciting variation only to have to see your spouse eating the same old thing they ordered last time because it's the vegetarian option for that night. Of course this is understandable, you can't expect Carnival to provide anywhere near the variety as they do for non vegetarians, but when they introduce new things like BI and GBB it's a bit of a downer when there's NOTHING to call vegetarians or their families back to Carnival.

By saying there's "plenty of vegetarian food available", you're basically telling vegetarians to "make do" with the same old stuff. People don't cruise to "make do" and even though I, as a proud carnivore would not be making do, there's little chance that I'm going to be able to drum up any spousal enthusiasm when all these exciting dining upgrades mean nothing to her.

It really wouldn't have been too difficult to offer at least a token vegetarian option at these places.

On 4 of the 7 nights in the MDR on my last cruise my DD ordered the off menu "Indian" dinner option, which was vegetarian. She was quite pleased with the variety. Have you tried that? She didn't eat in the MDR the other 3 nights so I can't vouch for those offerings.

CCL don't care about a minute percentage of people.They sail at 100% capacity so go sail with the other cruiseline that offers a better selection.What line would that be?

Also 3% is a joke.Even the GLT community is a higher percentage than that yet you don't see them complaining about things on the ship.

What about Kosher food?Indian,Chinese?They should have updates options all the time too?.....Don't see rovers coming to the menu anytime soon.How about Dolphin?

Archived