Wild caught shrimp on Carnival?

calex1976

Can anyone tell me if the shrimp served on Carnival Freedom are Wild Caught or are they pond raised? I was a 4th generation commercial fisherman until imported shrimp shut our business down. I refuse to eat imported pond raised shrimp because of this and health issues with them. I have seen some pictures of seafood plates, but could not tell if they were American caught or pond raised. I hate to pass up a seafood meal, but would rather not consume the pond raised ones. Thanks for any info if available.

All seafood on Carnival is farm raised right down to the lobster which are small Maine type. The only exception is the lobster served in the Steak House at an up-charge. I'm a native Floridian and they tried serving me farmed raised Asian Basa catfish as grouper. Our waiter who was from Trinidad smiled when I confronted him about it and said we are not suppose to tell the customers.

I am from a coastal community too....... sorry about the family business, its been hard around here too for our commercial fisherman. I can assure you that you would not eat the shirmp on board...... There is nothing in this world as good as fresh caught "wild" shirmp!

Thank you all for the quick comments, I thought this would be the case. Looks like I will just be eating seafood in the Keys then. It's unfortunate that so many people that are not around seafood get fed farm raised substandard and think that it is real (sea)food. In Alabama restaurants must tell if asked where the product came from or they will be fined. I wish this would become a national law soon. Thanks again for the info.

All seafood on Carnival is farm raised right down to the lobster which are small Maine type. The only exception is the lobster served in the Steak House at an up-charge. I'm a native Floridian and they tried serving me farmed raised Asian Basa catfish as grouper. Our waiter who was from Trinidad smiled when I confronted him about it and said we are not suppose to tell the customers.

Uh, just a couple points. The lobster on the cruise is sometimes Maine, sometimes Rock. There is no such thing as farm raised Maine Lobster, just an FYI.

Uh, just a couple points. The lobster on the cruise is sometimes Maine, sometimes Rock. There is no such thing as farm raised Maine Lobster, just an FYI.

When I used to shrimp in the Keys sometimes we caught Spiny or Shovel Nosed(Bulldozer) Lobster, they were excellent. About the only place we get Main Lobster around here is Red Lobster, my family would disown me if I stepped in that place, not that I ever would. I'm from a fishing family and a fishing community(Bayou La Batre), so local seafood is always plentiful. I will try the Main Lobster if they offer it, at least they have not started pond raising it on large scale yet, although they are working on it.

When I used to shrimp in the Keys sometimes we caught Spiny or Shovel Nosed(Bulldozer) Lobster, they were excellent. About the only place we get Main Lobster around here is Red Lobster, my family would disown me if I stepped in that place, not that I ever would. I'm from a fishing family and a fishing community(Bayou La Batre), so local seafood is always plentiful. I will try the Main Lobster if they offer it, at least they have not started pond raising it on large scale yet, although they are working on it.

I'm with you about Red Lobster for sure. They won't farm raise Maine Lobster just because it's already such a strong industry, with steadily increasing catch and very low prices (the reason lobster is expensive is the shipping costs, boat price this summer was around $2.40). It's one of the only really healthy, self regulating fishing industries left in the northeast(groundfish/scallops/shark are all pretty depleated now). We catch these tiny little red shrimp up here, not much to look at and nothing near like yours, but they are pretty tasty if you don't overcook them.

I don't think much of Spiney, but had Shovelnose a couple times and they are decent.

I'm with you about Red Lobster for sure. They won't farm raise Maine Lobster just because it's already such a strong industry, with steadily increasing catch and very low prices (the reason lobster is expensive is the shipping costs, boat price this summer was around $2.40). It's one of the only really healthy, self regulating fishing industries left in the northeast(groundfish/scallops/shark are all pretty depleated now). We catch these tiny little red shrimp up here, not much to look at and nothing near like yours, but they are pretty tasty if you don't overcook them.

I don't think much of Spiney, but had Shovelnose a couple times and they are decent.

I hope the Lobstering industry will hold up it's sad watching a livelihood die out. Shrimping is picking up some down here. The producers of Deadliest Catch are filming a series called Shrimp Wars now. I can't wait to see it on Discovery soon. The little red shrimp sound like either rare-backs or mega-lights. We caught them some times, not to bad eating.

The giveaway is when all the shrimp are the same size. They don't grow that way in nature.

It's a shame that many of the New Orleans restaurants serve frozen farm-raised (and often imprted) shrimp when there is a pretty reliable local crop available. When they are breaded and deep-fried, it can be hard to tell the difference, and the farm=-raised are a lot cheaper.

The giveaway is when all the shrimp are the same size. They don't grow that way in nature.

It's a shame that many of the New Orleans restaurants serve frozen farm-raised (and often imprted) shrimp when there is a pretty reliable local crop available. When they are breaded and deep-fried, it can be hard to tell the difference, and the farm=-raised are a lot cheaper.

Shrimp normal stay in groups where most are very close to the same size. If we caught large and small together we separated them if we had time. when shrimp are run through peeling machines they are also graded. It's a machine that separates shrimp by size.

You are correct about them being hard to tell the difference in imported and wild caught, other than the taste. I always check the labels, most say product of USA. But, they say packaged in Seattle. The only ones I will buy are packaged along the Gulf coast or the lower Eastern States.

I guess there's a good chance you don't eat salmon, beef, pork, or chicken then if you refuse to eat farm (mass) produced food products.

I eat most of the above and love Mississippi farm raised catfish. I know mass animal farms are not the best food producers, but the foreign farms are unregulated or poorly regulated at best. Saltwater animals are adapted to areas where the water is constantly changing (from tides or currents) or they move to new areas. They do not do well in ponds and are very susceptible to disease. These diseases are fought off with strong antibiotics and medications, some not even legal in America. My parents have been going before Congress with the Southern Shrimp Alliance for many years on this subject.

Sorry I just noticed you were from Tacoma. I did not say Seattle to be rude to you at all. But that seems to be the main import hub for seafood on the West Coast. I can't remember the one for the East Coast.

http://www.shrimpalliance.com/about_us.htm

I guess there's a good chance you don't eat salmon, beef, pork, or chicken then if you refuse to eat farm (mass) produced food products.

No farmed salmon for me, only wild or I just go without for awhile...I prefer my fish without "color added". :eek:

Unfortunately there are few places where wild is served let alone having wild shrimp that are not frozen

I won't eat farm raised shrimp either , but I also have the ability to get fresh and wild There is. O comparison

Btw shrimping down here in the gulf is doing pretty good with nice prices

Good luck to you

Some species of salmon cannot be harvested if of the "wild" varity. So, how, exactly do you know?

I've seen wild and farmed side by side, cooked and raw....farmed is quite fatty and almost a "peach" color, whereas wild is a richer more reddish color and leaner. After they are cooked, the farmed is softer texture and the wild is a firmer flesh by comparison.

Most restaurants prefer farmed because it is a more consistent product.

Also, time of year is a good indicator as to true "wild, fresh" salmon. I prefer king and sockeye myself. http://www.seabear.com/AboutSeaBear/OurProducts/Commitment.aspx

Unfortunately there are few places where wild is served let alone having wild shrimp that are not frozen

I won't eat farm raised shrimp either , but I also have the ability to get fresh and wild There is. O comparison

Btw shrimping down here in the gulf is doing pretty good with nice prices

Good luck to you

As long as shrimp are IQF(Individually Quick Frozen) on the boat they are just about as good as fresh caught. Unfortunately, a lot of shops take fresh shrimp and freeze them after they have set out for too long causing frozen to get a bad name.

I'm glad to hear shrimping is picking up in Tampa(guessing that's where you mean). I worked off of Tampa many years and loved it. Hard to beat the Hopper Shrimp that are caught off shore of there. They are the ones with the red dots on them.

There is nother better than Texas Gulf Coast shrimp, Red fish, trout, red snapper, oysters and anthing else that comes out of the Gulf of Mexico. We also like to catch crocker off the pier at our bay house and fry them whole. Never eat at Red Lobster but only restaurants that serve fresh seafood. Farm raised may be ok but fresh out of the gulf is the best and we have a guy that delivers to our house!! I know you are not going to get fresh on a cruise ship, but I still eat it.

There is nother better than Texas Gulf Coast shrimp, Red fish, trout, red snapper, oysters and anthing else that comes out of the Gulf of Mexico. We also like to catch crocker off the pier at our bay house and fry them whole. Never eat at Red Lobster but only restaurants that serve fresh seafood. Farm raised may be ok but fresh out of the gulf is the best and we have a guy that delivers to our house!! I know you are not going to get fresh on a cruise ship, but I still eat it.

After all this talk about seafood I had to call in a order for some seafood. Just finished off a pound of fried crab claws, I love living on the coast.

Can anyone tell me if the shrimp served on Carnival Freedom are Wild Caught or are they pond raised? I was a 4th generation commercial fisherman until imported shrimp shut our business down. I refuse to eat imported pond raised shrimp because of this and health issues with them. I have seen some pictures of seafood plates, but could not tell if they were American caught or pond raised. I hate to pass up a seafood meal, but would rather not consume the pond raised ones. Thanks for any info if available.

No only TAME shrimp are served. Not wild!

I know that Carnival only serves farm raised seafood products and I think I figured it out. On lobster night they call it duet of Maine Lobster and Jumbo Tiger Shrimp. I order about five or six of these and dump the shrimp. All of the so called lobsters are uniform in size and are rather on the small size. Like the phoney grouper that was really Asian Basa Catfish, I believe that what they are serving as Maine Lobster is in fact the Australian Giant Redclaw Crayfish.

http://farmingcrawfish.com/crawfish_redclaw_crayfish/lobster.html

Here is the current menus with photos of the meals, so scroll down till you find the duet of Maine Lobster

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/menus/7Day.htm

Thank you all for the quick comments, I thought this would be the case. Looks like I will just be eating seafood in the Keys then. It's unfortunate that so many people that are not around seafood get fed farm raised substandard and think that it is real (sea)food. In Alabama restaurants must tell if asked where the product came from or they will be fined. I wish this would become a national law soon. Thanks again for the info.

From AL myself, and did not know about that law. Do know that, while I have never shrimped myself, I have bought it fresh off the boat, cleaned and cooked it. That is a high standard for good, fresh shrimp :D, same with blue crab, only I did catch them :eek:, and I won't even get into fresh fish :p, oh and oysters :cool:

As long as shrimp are IQF(Individually Quick Frozen) on the boat they are just about as good as fresh caught. Unfortunately, a lot of shops take fresh shrimp and freeze them after they have set out for too long causing frozen to get a bad name.

I'm glad to hear shrimping is picking up in Tampa(guessing that's where you mean). I worked off of Tampa many years and loved it. Hard to beat the Hopper Shrimp that are caught off shore of there. They are the ones with the red dots on them.

You are so right about needing to be frozen quickly. They can't just be sitting around waiting, and losing everything that makes them what they are. I like Royal Reds myself, have almost a lobster taste to them, so yummy.

Archived