What about ports/islands that are damaged/devastated by hurricane Irma?

pal2pluto

This hurricane seems to be completely devastating the Bahamas and other islands. Certainly after the damage, it will be a while before ships are going to those islands, right? I mean, looking at St. Martin....I can only imagine it will take months to get the island close to inhabitable for those who live there, much less try to cater to cruises! Or will the cruises go there to bring in much needed income to the islands? It just seems to me that Irma is going to put this area "off limits" as a vacation stop. Am I off base on this?

Just too early to tell. Once the port itself is accessible for berth, basic infrastructure, and there are activities for people to do, they cruise line will start visiting again.

The good thing about most of these ports, is they are financially better off so will likely bounce back quicker. When you talk about some of the western carrib ports with less resources, they take longer to come back from disasters like this.

They will begin allowing ships to return the minute the port area is repaired sufficiently to do so, and the island has basic infrastructure. We called on Freeport two weeks after taking a direct hit last year from Matthew. Resorts were closed, many beaches were closed, but the port area was open, the island had electric etc. Our private guide showed us a lot of the most heavily damaged areas. Homes either badly damaged or completely destroyed. Businesses just gone. Downed trees everywhere. Scary stuff. But they want to re-open ASAP to start generating revenue.

As an experienced Caribbean cruiser, I agree with the others. Some ports will be off limits until it is safe to allow ships to dock and until they can offer a safe experience for cruise visitors. Also keep in mind Carnival Corporation has a history of dropping off supplies to weather-affected islands when it is safe to do so. And historically, those donations were greatly appreciated. I've also personally witnessed Carnival allowing ship employees to debark the ship to contribute labor to clean up efforts in the first calls to an affected port as appropriate while allowing passengers to debark to enjoy their port day (or pitch in if they feel so inclined).

IMHO, the important thing to remember, to enjoy and appreciate Caribbean cruising, as long as you can safely make your way to your embarkation port and the ship is sailing, you will usually be able to embark your ship and enjoy your cruise. That being said, itineraries may be altered.

That being said, I've been surprised by some of Carnival's recent storm-related decisions to try to sail, knowing future conditions may be questionable. That's unfortunate, and some of those decisions seem to be profit-oriented rather than common-sense oriented from the perspective of their customers. This seems to be new territory for Carnival IMHO where profits are emphasized over empathy for passengers.

I'm sure others may disagree with me, but that is my perspective as an experienced Carnival passenger.

I just hope everyone stays safe.

I'll just about guarantee that St. Marten and St. Thomas won't open for cruisers for a year.

So sad but everything I have seen would give credence to your comments. Cozumel was longer than that after Wilma. It really will depend on critical infrastructure.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That being said, I've been surprised by some of Carnival's recent storm-related decisions to try to sail, knowing future conditions may be questionable. That's unfortunate, and some of those decisions seem to be profit-oriented rather than common-sense oriented from the perspective of their customers. This seems to be new territory for Carnival IMHO where profits are emphasized over empathy for passengers.

I'm sure others may disagree with me, but that is my perspective as an experienced Carnival passenger.

I just hope everyone stays safe.

Without degrading the thread, I have seen nothing that suggests what you imply. Galveston was totally different circumstances, where the infrastructure was basically intact. It is a home port that has the highest home based travel in the Caribbean. If anything, I can site examples where there empathy is more towards passengers than other cruise lines. That said, there is nothing wrong with different opinions.

I hope I am wrong, but I think when this storm is all done, the impact on cruising may be more wide spread than any other Hurricane. The sheer number of ports (some of which may be home ports BTW) and the effect that could have on a highly ship saturated Caribbean. We will see....

Same in St Maarten years ago. believe ports opened about 6-8 weeks out. Damage was brutal but glad ships got in and $ was able to start again

i used to keep my boat in St.Martin, sold it in January. There was never a storm like this in SXM. The airport is gone. The marinas are gone. hopefully they have electricity and running water in 6-8 weeks. The 4 biggest and "structurally sound" gov't buildings did not make it. You can pretty much say STT, BVI, and SXM will not be cruise ports for some time to come.

We have been to all of these ports several times and I think of the wonderful people we have met there. In St Marten we took a bus excursion and our guide was so wonderful!! He truly enjoyed meeting us and showing us his home. My heart just breaks for these people who have lost so much!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Without degrading the thread, I have seen nothing that suggests what you imply. Galveston was totally different circumstances, where the infrastructure was basically intact. It is a home port that has the highest home based travel in the Caribbean. If anything, I can site examples where there empathy is more towards passengers than other cruise lines. That said, there is nothing wrong with different opinions.

I hope I am wrong, but I think when this storm is all done, the impact on cruising may be more wide spread than any other Hurricane. The sheer number of ports (some of which may be home ports BTW) and the effect that could have on a highly ship saturated Caribbean. We will see....

Said this in another thread and was immediately bashed. I am a realist and I would not be surprised one bit if the cruise industry is turned upside down Monday morning. I am hoping for the best but the sheer reality is the industry could be sent into turmoil by Irma. 3-5 Carib ports may be out of business for weeks, months up to a year. Miami and FFL may be out of business for weeks or months. Even when they get Port back up and running hotels will be limited. I wish all the best of luck.

I'll just about guarantee that St. Marten and St. Thomas won't open for cruisers for a year.

Agree on st Maarten 100%. St Thomas not sure as I have not seen much video or pics just heard it's not good. I think St Thomas has infrastructure in most or portions of island. What people don't understand with St Maarten is they have nothing infrastructure wise and will have to rebuild the entire island. The next 2-3 months will be dire in St Maarten as they have no economy as they have no business.

It's just not going to devistate the Caribbean islands. The entire eastern ports of Florida are going to take a direct hit! I live here and have a cruise planned for Sept 16th out of Miami. I'm not expecting at this time to go. Please just pray for everyone's safety at this time.

This hurricane seems to be completely devastating the Bahamas and other islands. Certainly after the damage, it will be a while before ships are going to those islands, right? I mean, looking at St. Martin....I can only imagine it will take months to get the island close to inhabitable for those who live there, much less try to cater to cruises! Or will the cruises go there to bring in much needed income to the islands? It just seems to me that Irma is going to put this area "off limits" as a vacation stop. Am I off base on this?

To early to tell.

I would assume that Grand Turk will be up pretty quickly since Carnival owns that port.

Grand Turk was probably under the ocean with a 20' storm surge. Provo, the T&C main hotel island was severely damaged and their infrastructure was a lot stronger than anything I saw on the beach at GT.

Unaffected ports like Cayman and Jamaica, as well as lightly used Mexican ports like Costa Maya and Progresso, will experience increased tourism from cruisers and tourists alike. Their will be more western itineraries, because cruise ships will not be sailing to ST. Maarten any time soon. Phillipsburg was almost leveled and Orient Beach hotels were also destroyed. The cleanup alone will take months, then they will have to rebuild.

St Maarten definitely got slammed. We use to visit the Flamingo Resort at Pelican Key when I was a kid/teen and they have a notice on their website that says all reservations through November are cancelled and they are not taking any new reservations until after April of next year. I'd imagine any stops there will be cancelled or replaced.

i used to keep my boat in St.Martin, sold it in January. There was never a storm like this in SXM. The airport is gone. The marinas are gone. hopefully they have electricity and running water in 6-8 weeks. The 4 biggest and "structurally sound" gov't buildings did not make it. You can pretty much say STT, BVI, and SXM will not be cruise ports for some time to come.

Good timing selling the boat...

I know that it’s still early, and that cruise lines have the option of changing your itinerary; however, we’ve selected an itinerary for places we haven’t been. If, for example, St Thomas is not able to support cruise passengers even as far out as the spring and the cruise lines substitutes --- would they possibly give us the option of rescheduling our cruise instead of cruising in the Western Caribbean? Has anyone had that happen? I also understand they’ll get the port up and running as soon as possible; however, that still might not make it a nice port visit for those who might have been expecting full services, shopping, etc.? Praying for those people on those small islands, and hope another doesn’t hit them.

Thank you for any info you may have on cruise lines allowing you to reschedule if ports are not available that you booked for.