I gave up drinking soda, how is the water on the ship?

JAMESCC

I gave up drinking any soda at all in July. Have lost 30 pounds so far coupled with eating super good, 41 more to go. Anyway I don't want to buy the water package from RCI because its pretty expensive. Does anyone bring there own reusable water bottle and fill up with water on the ship? Where would you even do that, are there water fountains around because I don't remember seeing them? We are sailing Anthem for the second time next year. How is the quality of the "tap water" on Anthem or RCI ships in general?

Oh wait I remember seeing RCI is allowing you to bring your own water on board as long as you carry it on yourself. Is that true? We are only sailing 5 days so maybe I bring a dozen bottles of water. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

You can bring your own water bottle and refill at jugs set up around ship--Cafe 270, Solarium Bistro, Cafe Promenade, even sometimes on pool deck bars. You need to use a clean glass to fill into your refillable bottle. And be sure to put ice into your refillable bottle too--often the water coming out of the dispenser is actually quite warm?? But I've thought it quite good once it's in my refillable bottle with ice and you can also usually get lemon slices if you're at Solarium Bistro or Cafe Promenade.

Shipboard (tap) water is excellent! No need to take bottled water onboard. It is available from dispensers and in glasses in the buffet, in your glass in the dining room, and of course in your cabin.

Totally agree. I’ve never had a problem with ship water, maybe because I started cruising long before anyone thought of buying bottled water anywhere.

Shipboard (tap) water is excellent! No need to take bottled water onboard. It is available from dispensers and in glasses in the buffet, in your glass in the dining room, and of course in your cabin.
Usually, but not always. I have had some bad metallic tasting water on a few RCI ships

I haven't drank soda in 15 years (okay I still have 1/month maybe) and have always found plenty to drink onboard. I drink water, iced tea, flavored water, coffee. You can ask for a glass of water at any bar. On Allure and Oasis, there was a self-service water dispenser with glasses sitting on the bar in the Solarium.

The ship’s water is chlorinated. Nope. Chlorine speeds up the clogging of your arteries.

On the Oasis in July, I was dumping some water from the ice bucket and the chlorine smell hit me like a ton of bricks.

I took it to Guest Services and told them they were over chlorinating the water/ice. They called an officer down immediately. The people in GS could smell how strong it was.

He took the ice bucket. By that evening, I couldn’t smell ANY chlorine at all.

I am sensitive to the smell of chlorine. I can even smell it in their showers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship’s water is chlorinated. Nope. Chlorine speeds up the clogging of your arteries.

On the Oasis in July, I was dumping some water from the ice bucket and the chlorine smell hit me like a ton of bricks.

I took it to Guest Services and told them they were over chlorinating the water/ice. They called an officer down immediately. The people in GS could smell how strong it was.

Yeah that's the thing, you just don't know ahead of time how the water will taste or how chlorinated it will be. I may drink a little of the ship's water but mostly we either bring our own or buy onboard. It may not be cheap but it isn't nearly as costly as those "other beverages" that are so popular on cruise ships....lol...^_~

We were on the Oasis in April. I’m a water drinker and I thought that the ship’s water tasted just fine. I had the drink package and had access to bottled water, but the ship’s water tasted much better to me. I think that the bottled water was Zepherhills spring.

Interesting that you noticed the highest concentration of chlorine from an ice bucket. All ice machines on the ships, along with the drink dispensers, and water stations both at the buffet and where the wait staff get the water for the dining venues from, have a carbon filter at the equipment to remove the chlorine, since the chlorine can cause scale formation in the equipment. My guess is that the ice machine had just been sanitized (monthly), and the first batch of ice produced after the sanitizing cycle had not been dumped as required, and you got that ice. So, if you want ship's water without chlorine, you can go to the buffet or a bar and get some, or you can fill a pitcher with tap water and leave it sit open for a couple of hours, and the chlorine will dissipate naturally.

As to smelling it in the shower, if you can smell it in the sink tap water, then why wouldn't you smell it in the shower, since it is exactly the same water.

Most municipalities chlorinate to higher levels than the ship does. The municipalities chlorinate to a level where they "estimate" that there will be residual chlorine right up to your home, but that water may have sat in the underground pipes for a day or so before it flowed out of your taps, and all the chlorine may have dissipated by then. The ship, however, constantly circulates the water around the ship, from the tanks, up through the ship, and what is not used is returned to the tanks. This water is required to have a residual chlorine level of 0.5ppm at the farthest point (bridge) from the chlorination equipment (engine room), and since the water is constantly circulated, and constantly monitored and constantly dosed with chlorine, the water right at the chlorination equipment is typically 0.7ppm, while the water coming from your municipal water plant may have a chlorine level of 2-4ppm (which of course drops off the further you sample from the plant).

The water is fine tasting, but it’s desalinated on the ship and is usually still pretty salty so if you notice your feet and legs starting to swell mid cruise, that’s probably why.

I will dispute this. NYC municipal water in its last water quality report showed 40-60ppm of sodium in the water, and Miami water was 30-50ppm. Ship's water, desalinated from sea water will have 0-1ppm if made by a flash evaporator (it rejects water made if the sodium level is more than 10ppm), or 10-20ppm sodium if made by a Reverse Osmosis watermaker (again, if the sodium level is above 20ppm, then the water made is rejected and sent overboard. Meanwhile the EPA has determined that the average taste threshold for sodium in water is 640ppm.