$3.00 difference

bbrule7

We'll be on the Jewel, in an aft balcony. I have zero use for the Haven pool or area even if they have one.

So, not saying I disagree with you. Just saying that I suspect that is more the reason than larger rooms. That and because NCL can.

We just got off the Jewel and the Haven area is a complete waste of money, IMHO. Other guests complained also that on Jewel Class ships, you just do not get any of what the Haven is on newer ships.

You can get most perks as with Suite cabin. Not private, upper deck area open to ship guests who hang over railing and stare at you if you are down in Haven area. Felt like a zoo animal.

Pool not really a pool, just a small "dipping" pool. Hot tub was not working most days , either boiling hot or cold. Roof was also non-functional several days, which turned area into large "sauna". We spent most of our time on our balcony.

Why? Does your child eat? Sleep? Bathe? I have 5 kids, it never crossed my mind to reduce the DSC. In fact, they potentially reduce profits for NCL, because they don’t drink alcohol, gamble, buy photos or watches, or use the spa.

Me, either!

I don’t understand the thinking that a toddler shouldn’t pay the DSC.

I’m sure there won’t be any fingerprints on the balcony door or Cheerios crunched into the rug or crayon marks on the table top.

I can’t imagine plotting ahead to decrease the service charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you take a picture of the fine print explanation with the two asterisks?

It's difficult to get a clear shot plus mine has holes in it from when it was thumb-tacked on my wall near my desk. :cool:

The quote is "**Pre-Paid Gratuities, otherwise referred to as "Service Charges", applicable to 1st and 2nd guest in stateroom, age 3 & up. Not applicable to guests 3-8. Guests are responsible for onboard gratuities applicable for all other shipboard purchases.".

Even for something like a Spa pass, NCL calls the added service charge a gratuity.

My point is that NCL calls that "thing" by many names. Too many people on the forum argue about what to call that "thing" but NCL calls it whatever they want to call it.

Interestingly, back then was when guests 3-8 would automatically get the soda program when guests 1&2 got the UBP promo AND all guests in the stateroom 3 and older got the UDP (unlimited number of uses).

Edited by Two Wheels Only

It's difficult to get a clear shot plus mine has holes in it from when it was thumb-tacked on my wall near my desk. :cool:

The quote is "**Pre-Paid Gratuities, otherwise referred to as "Service Charges", applicable to 1st and 2nd guest in stateroom, age 3 & up. Not applicable to guests 3-8. Guests are responsible for onboard gratuities applicable for all other shipboard purchases.".

Even for something like a Spa pass, NCL calls the added service charge a gratuity.

My point is that NCL calls that "thing" by many names. Too many people on the forum argue about what to call that "thing" but NCL calls it whatever they want to call it.

Interestingly, back then was when guests 3-8 would automatically get the soda program when guests 1&2 got the UBP promo AND all guests in the stateroom 3 and older got the UDP (unlimited number of uses).

Thank you for quoting this.

I became interested in this topic after reading too many ridiculous postings which weren't anything more that rationalizations of false information to justify in their own minds why they feel it's acceptable to not pay the service charge.

Everything NCL publishes -- today at least -- refers to the DSC a/k/a Daily Service Charge as a guest contribution towards labor cost rather than a gratuity replacement or alternative.

While the language in the fine print may save them by pointing back to "Service Charge," calling it a Gratuity I think was a marketing mistake. I would hope that they don't do that any more and stay with "Pre-paid Service Charge"

I understand the point you are making, that NCL calls the "Daily Service Charge" by many names. Or at least they used to. It seems that more recently they realize the confusion that it causes and are moving towards uniformity.

Separate from the Service Charge is their position on "Gratuities".

With respect to gratuities, NCL states this-- in a section completely separate from the service charge discussion:

Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Common language is: "20% gratuity and _____ service charge"

Each of these items listed are specific service charges.

I wonder how many passengers have been successful in altering or eliminating a particular 20% service charge of this nature?

Did they use:

"I never tip that much, so you only get 15%"

"NCL can't tell me how to tip people, so take it off."

"It's purely discretionary, so remove it."

"I don't have to give a reason, just eliminate it."

Did any work?

The implication is that these service charges are gratuities. But nowhere does it state that the full amount will be paid out and to whom.

Additionally, there is an 20% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 20% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 20% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

Common language is: "20% gratuity and _____ service charge"

Each of these items listed are specific service charges.

That's their more recent language. I've seen NCL use either one or the other and now they're using both.

AFAIK from when it was 15%, then 18%, now 20%, I don't think that anyone can reduce/remove it.

Haha, you are so wrong and so confused. Stick your fingers in your ears and keep yelling 'I am right'.

The ignorance is pretty amusing.

Putting your childish tone aside, I really couldn't understand why you kept going on about a discretionary service charge when anyone with a fifth grade reading level could clearly understand what NCL says on the subject contradicts your understanding.

I see than in reality you simply have your cruise lines mixed up.

Princess Cruise Lines refers to their daily service charge as Discretionary: not Norwegian.

Since you appear lost, here's a link to find your way there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=197

Take care!

Me, either!

I don’t understand the thinking that a toddler shouldn’t pay the DSC.

I’m sure there won’t be any fingerprints on the balcony door or Cheerios crunched into the rug or crayon marks on the table top.

I can’t imagine plotting ahead to decrease the service charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sadly, some don't even plot ahead of time, they consider it their right to have it removed, and as a matter of practice, never pay it when they sail.

A few have posted this posture earlier in this thread.

So what better way to discourage or eliminate this behavior than writing a letter to NCL, specifically citing the posts found here that are blatant?

Perhaps if NCL reads some of these posts which encourage others to follow in the practice, NCL will consider a suggestion to modify the policy of DSC adjustments, changing it to allow any adjustments to the DSC to be purely at the discretion of NCL's on board leadership.

Adjustments were intended to be a method of compensating for service failures that NCL just couldn't seem to correct or make right. This suggested policy change would continue to permit this.

However, passenger requests deemed frivolous could be denied.

Gone would be adjustments because:

• "I will decide how I want to tip." Thank you, those crew members will appreciate any additional gratuity you provide. The DSC is an imposed charge to contribute towards the cost of labor: it will remain as is on your account.
  • "NCL should just pay their employees more: I'm not paying this." We hear what you are saying, but now hear this: NCL feels they fairly compensate their employees and competitively prices the cruise experience for passengers. NCL imposes the DSC which is incorporated in the Contract of Carriage, meaning that you are obligated to pay this.
  • "It's discretionary. Take it off!" The DSC is not discretionary, it is a fee that you are obligated to pay.
  • "My cruise was terrible: no one smiled, now remove the DSC!" I'm terribly sorry to hear that, but due take note of this big smile on my face as I inform you that no adjustment will be made to your DSC.

So maybe those bullet points won't be in the letter, but they were fun to write!