Old City/Walled City

spidybabe

Anybody have any good tips or ideas on doing the old/Walled City ourselves? Where to get cab /how much for cab? We are doing 2 cruises and have many booked (non NCL) tours, but I remember reading that it is easy to do Cartagena by yourself.

Thanks for any info

Safe sailing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

It is easy.

When you walk through the stores and out the entrance some locals tour guides will try to sell you on a tour. Keep walking. There is one person who oversees the taxis and speaks english well and you just negotiate the amount of time you want for the taxi and where you want to go. Visit the old and walled city and I would recommend the fort. The driver will wait with you the entire time. He'll even come with you if you would like.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
It is easy.

When you walk through the stores and out the entrance some locals tour guides will try to sell you on a tour. Keep walking. There is one person who oversees the taxis and speaks english well and you just negotiate the amount of time you want for the taxi and where you want to go. Visit the old and walled city and I would recommend the fort. The driver will wait with you the entire time. He'll even come with you if you would like.

Keith

What would be a guesstimate of a taxi fare for 4-5 hours to places like the fort, La Popa and the walled city (waiting at each then returning to the ship)?

Edited by frugaltravel

Cab inside the cruise port to Walled City: $20

Cab outside cruise port to Walled City: $10

Cab from Walled City back to cruise port: $10

The walled city is very easy to do on your own. You can pick up a taxi at the cab stand in the port, but they have a fixed rate of $20. If you keep walking all the way out the gates and exit the port completely, the cabs in that staging area will make the same trip for $10. They looked equally legitimate to me, so I don't see much advantage to paying the surcharge for picking up the cab inside the port.

You can have the cab drop you at the Clock Tower (Torre de Reloj) or near Plaza de Bolivar. They're only a few blocks apart and either one will work for doing a walking tour of the Walled City.

When you're ready to come back, walk out to the Clock Tower area and pick up any one of the hundreds of cabs available. Cross the street toward the tall ships and pick one up over there as it will already be headed in the right direction to get back to the port.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting about the taxi prices above. Locals on the Cartagena forum on Trip Advisor have told us it should be about $5 for the taxi from outside the cruise terminal. I suppose it is like Mexico where you can bargain the price.