I gave up drinking soda, how is the water on the ship?

JAMESCC

I will dispute this. NYC municipal water in its last water quality report showed 40-60ppm of sodium in the water, and Miami water was 30-50ppm. Ship's water, desalinated from sea water will have 0-1ppm if made by a flash evaporator (it rejects water made if the sodium level is more than 10ppm), or 10-20ppm sodium if made by a Reverse Osmosis watermaker (again, if the sodium level is above 20ppm, then the water made is rejected and sent overboard. Meanwhile the EPA has determined that the average taste threshold for sodium in water is 640ppm.

Thanks for your expert rebuttal. I’ll read this to my ankles about next Wednesday when they start to swell on the ship.

Thanks for your expert rebuttal. I’ll read this to my ankles about next Wednesday when they start to swell on the ship.

There are other causes of water retention than sodium content. The chlorine in the water can cause it, as can the absence of magnesium and potassium in distilled/desalinated water. There are also causes that have nothing to do with what is eaten or drunk.

There are other causes of water retention than sodium content. The chlorine in the water can cause it, as can the absence of magnesium and potassium in distilled/desalinated water. There are also causes that have nothing to do with what is eaten or drunk.

More likely caused by heavy handed salting of food. Chefs always think food needs more salt. And, even though people think food doesn't taste salty, that doesn't mean it doesn't have a high sodium content.

I've also noticed a bit of swelling on some cruises, but moreso on those where it's hot and humid. This past spring, I wasn't feeling great on our cruise and I ate a lot less than normal as I had very little appetite and I had zero water retention/swelling. BTW, the lack of appetite and other symptoms turned out to be my gallbladder which I've since had removed. So, we'll see what happens in 4 weeks on Anthem since we're going north and my appetite is fully recovered.

I gave up drinking any soda at all in July. Have lost 30 pounds so far coupled with eating super good, 41 more to go. Anyway I don't want to buy the water package from RCI because its pretty expensive. Does anyone bring there own reusable water bottle and fill up with water on the ship? Where would you even do that, are there water fountains around because I don't remember seeing them? We are sailing Anthem for the second time next year. How is the quality of the "tap water" on Anthem or RCI ships in general?

Oh wait I remember seeing RCI is allowing you to bring your own water on board as long as you carry it on yourself. Is that true? We are only sailing 5 days so maybe I bring a dozen bottles of water. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I gave up drinking soda in 2004 and juice (except for all natural cranberry )in 2006. I feel so much better and have lost 54 pounds.

Well done to all posters who have lost weight by giving up sodas & juices. They are sooo high in "empty" calories, as are the awful flavoured milk drinks I see grown adults consuming with their food on cruise ships. Not even a good idea for kids...loaded with sugar. Ask Jamie Oliver[emoji13] I know I could & should lose weight if I gave up drinking wine with my meals, but......there's the included drinks package to consider[emoji12][emoji12][emoji485]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know there’s more salt in cruise ship food than in the water, but since I switched to bottled water on my cruises, my legs and ankles don’t swell as badly.

For RCI we buy Walmart’s cheapest water and put it in an old duffel bag, slap a luggage tag on it and check it, never a problem. We did it in April.

Have they started letting you preorder cases like Princess? That would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Freedom a couple years ago the tap water was good but on Adventure in Feb/Mar it had a bad taste. I had my Brita water bottle with me and using that with the tap water was fine. The water in the dining room was good, must have had better filtering.
Thank everyone for all the suggestions and advice. This is a good one, a Brita water bottle. I forgot about Brita. I will be getting one of these for the cruise. Do you think at a bar they will fill a water bottle itself directly?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I gave up drinking soda in 2004 and juice (except for all natural cranberry )in 2006. I feel so much better and have lost 54 pounds.
Awesome! Congrats! I like I said have only drank water since July 9th and have lost over 30 pounds. 41 more and our cruise isn't till September 21 2019 so next year. I want to be in really good shape by then so I can take advantage of all the good food on the ship. See when I was fat I'd eat less on a cruise because in my own head I was thinking everyone is looking at the fat guy and how much he is eating. I know dumb but that would curtail my eating so as strange as it sounds I ate less on a cruise when I was fat. This time I want the opposite. [emoji16] How much weight could I put back on in a 5 day cruise anyway right?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I just looked it up in Cruise Planner, for my upcoming cruise, I can order 12 bottles of Evian bottled water for $39 or 24 for $69.

Since, they changed the policy that allows you to bring water on as a carryon, I have not read any reports ya or nay about the "duffel bag/luggage" method of getting water aboard the ship. The policy change is fairly recent.

I know there’s more salt in cruise ship food than in the water, but since I switched to bottled water on my cruises, my legs and ankles don’t swell as badly.

For RCI we buy Walmart’s cheapest water and put it in an old duffel bag, slap a luggage tag on it and check it, never a problem. We did it in April.

Have they started letting you preorder cases like Princess? That would be even better.

I just looked it up in Cruise Planner, for my upcoming cruise, I can order 12 bottles of Evian bottled water for $39 or 24 for $69.

Since, they changed the policy that allows you to bring water on as a carryon, I have not read any reports ya or nay about the "duffel bag/luggage" method of getting water aboard the ship. The policy change is fairly recent.

Those prices are ridiculous, they are almost forcing you to bring your own water aboard. Simply ridiculous.

On Freedom a couple years ago the tap water was good but on Adventure in Feb/Mar it had a bad taste. I had my Brita water bottle with me and using that with the tap water was fine. The water in the dining room was good, must have had better filtering.

I just purchased a Brita sport water bottle to use on ship and during excursions. Glad to hear it works well.

My wife too. She drinks a lot of water.

First 2 cruises she gets the swelling.

So....we started bringing bottle water and she's has had no issues.

I'm really curious to know why drinking bottled water works for this swielling condition on ships. From what our Chief Engineer says, the amount of sodium in the ship's water is less than our municipal water. So it's got to be something other than sodium. Too many people report that drinking bottled water significantly reduces the condition.

I'm really curious to know why drinking bottled water works for this swielling condition on ships. From what our Chief Engineer says, the amount of sodium in the ship's water is less than our municipal water. So it's got to be something other than sodium. Too many people report that drinking bottled water significantly reduces the condition.

We don't drink the municipal water either and very rarely use ice at home or on the ship.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

There are a few possible causes. As I've said before, the chlorine in the water can cause water retention. Also, since magnesium and potassium are larger elements than sodium, they are removed from ship's water by reverse osmosis watermakers, as well as from the distilled water from evaporators. Low levels of potassium and magnesium can also cause water retention. And I can't say for everyone, Bob, but often use of bottled water tends to make people drink more water, since its right there with you as opposed to having to go get it, and water retention can come from lack of hydration. To determine if this is the cause, you would need to do two cruises, back to back, one drinking bottled water (noting the amount of water drunk and presence of swelling), and the other week drinking tap water and also noting the amount drunk and presence of swelling.

... To determine if this is the cause, you would need to do two cruises, back to back, one drinking bottled water (noting the amount of water drunk and presence of swelling), and the other week drinking tap water and also noting the amount drunk and presence of swelling.

Sure, plus I assume she would also have to eat the same exact food to make it a valid experiment. I suspect this is going to remain a mystery to us.:)

Sure, plus I assume she would also have to eat the same exact food to make it a valid experiment. I suspect this is going to remain a mystery to us.:)

Or, to determine if it is the other minerals, drink ship's water and take magnesium and potassium supplements. Foods that are good sources of magnesium are spinach, almonds, cashews, quinoa, edamame, avocado. Most folks know foods high in potassium like bananas, but also spinach and sweet potato. Figs are a good choice for both minerals.

Oh now I have another question. My wife and our son are gonna get the soda package does that mean I have to get it too because as I said I don't want or need it?

No, Royal has not required all guests to purchase a soda package when one purchases it.

Or, to determine if it is the other minerals, drink ship's water and take magnesium and potassium supplements. Foods that are good sources of magnesium are spinach, almonds, cashews, quinoa, edamame, avocado. Most folks know foods high in potassium like bananas, but also spinach and sweet potato. Figs are a good choice for both minerals.

Thanks Chief, the ship has avocado and spinach salad at lunch in the buffet, that we can do.:)

Thanks Chief, the ship has avocado and spinach salad at lunch in the buffet, that we can do.:)

No worries. Fortunately, I've never had this problem, despite drinking ship's water for decades. Standing in the pool will not help with overall water retention, but will help to "re-allocate" the water from the ankles to elsewhere.

All cruise lines over chorine the water on ships. They do it to kills bugs and help to prevent novovirus and other stomach bugs. Drinking the water is fine for short periods of time. If I was living on the ship full time it might be an issue. But for occasional vacations just drink the water on ship and save yourself money.

If I was doing a world cruise that was 3 or more months it would be a different story