Anything new on Harvest Caye?

TNCruzer56

I spent about 20 minutes yesterday trying to scare up ANY new info from the last time I dug around (maybe early October?) and came up with next to nothing. I am so disgusted that so little is being shared. I mean, I realize it isn't going to be Castaway Cay, but I want some idea of what to anticipate.

It won't be open in February, those of us with February cruises got changed back to Belize City. Pretty disgusted with the excursion choices as there are only a few being offered. Mostly the cave tubing and zip lining. Been there done that.

I've also been curious about updates. It all seems very hush hush. We are supposed to be visiting the first week in March if it's open by then. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to experience this mysterious island!

It won't be open in February, those of us with February cruises got changed back to Belize City. Pretty disgusted with the excursion choices as there are only a few being offered. Mostly the cave tubing and zip lining. Been there done that.

Go to Lamanai! It was an awesome day. Read some reviews on here.

I've also been curious about updates. It all seems very hush hush. We are supposed to be visiting the first week in March if it's open by then. I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to experience this mysterious island!

We are supposed to be there in mid-April and I'm not sure it'll be ready even then.

Ugh. Seriously? We're set to go in May. I'm already so disenchanted with NCL, this really disappoints. :(

Truth be told their is not a whole lot more to do there. You can go to the ruins or snorkeling.

Construction moves at a much slower pace south of the boarder. When I saw the opening date I thought yea right, tack on another 6 months :D

Hi Tammy,

When were you notified about not going to Harvest Caye? We are the Jade, a week later, and haven't seen that change yet. The last notice I saw referenced opening on Feb 16th.

Thanks,

Robert

I share your sentiment and also searched the net with very few results, Nothing current.

Interesting...One would think if a cruise line wants to fill ships, that they would offer up more info on a new stop.

Really doubt that it`ll be open for our March 6th Star cruz. We`ll see.

The article states that they are waiting for a judicial decision on whether or not the project was improperly fast-tracked. It doesn't say if that could adversely affect the opening or maybe just involve a fine or something if the decision goes against NCL/the builders.

This is what we are planning. Did you go on an NCL excursion or with a private company?

Definitely go with NCL. It was a good day, but filled the entire day. I was on an earlier season Jade cruising out of Houston and tendering was not ideal so if you weren't on an NCL excursion could be delayed. I understand from on here tendering has improved, but that's still a bit of a negative since it means they are probably loading up closer to on time as well and reducing the buffer of time on the back end.

Definitely go with NCL. It was a good day, but filled the entire day. I was on an earlier season Jade cruising out of Houston and tendering was not ideal so if you weren't on an NCL excursion could be delayed. I understand from on here tendering has improved, but that's still a bit of a negative since it means they are probably loading up closer to on time as well and reducing the buffer of time on the back end.

Thanks. The private excursions I looked at were considerably cheaper but the tendering issue does cause me concern. I think we will probably pay the extra and go with NCL on this one for the peace of mind factor, especially because it is such a long day and I wouldn't want to miss the ship!

The article states that they are waiting for a judicial decision on whether or not the project was improperly fast-tracked. It doesn't say if that could adversely affect the opening or maybe just involve a fine or something if the decision goes against NCL/the builders.

They will do anything to prolong the opening. NCL's new place is taking away money from the city of Belize since they won't be stopping there anymore

This is the first I'm reading about this "island". Reading between the lines of the news articles it seems that there are some in Belize that think NCL might have greased their way through the approvals process. Which would obviously cause concern to the locals.

This is the first I'm reading about this "island". Reading between the lines of the news articles it seems that there are some in Belize that think NCL might have greased their way through the approvals process. Which would obviously cause concern to the locals.

Another concern is environmental because of the reef being so close.