Skagway bus tour.

AlwayzCruising

I know it’s been discussed at length. But I can’t find a real definitive answer. Does anyone know how they check the passports on the Skagway bus tour? Do you just hold them up and they check them or do they actually scan them for validity. I only worry about Canada with my husband. I don’t want to get stuck there for some dui he had in 2003 and probation just got removed in 2013..... I know we cross in Canada briefly but still not sure of how extensive they get there or when we go to Victoria on the ship (which we are just gonna stay on the ship that day anyway.....)

:rolleyes:

For Victoria the cruise line sends the info to the Canadian Authorities in advance. If they want to talk to your DH . They will page him before anyone starts to disembark.

The border crossing into Canada at Skagway seems to be fairly easy, No big formalities.

For Victoria the cruise line sends the info to the Canadian Authorities in advance. If they want to talk to your DH . They will page him before anyone starts to disembark.

The border crossing into Canada at Skagway seems to be fairly easy, No big formalities.

Thanks. Figured so much with the cruise line as I have called them and spoke with them to make sure he could board. And like I said, even tho I have heard really nice things about Victoria, I just figured we would stay on board and chill for the day.

Knowing that we cross the border on the bus tour or the train, I didn’t want to get stuck there....

Thanks for your response.

We used Chilkoot Tours for a Bus / Train combo tour to Emerald Lake. The Canadian authorities boarded the bus on the way up and we just held our passports near our face so they could compare the photos were actually of us. Nothing was scanned. U S authorities did a similar check on the train on the way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:cool:

We used Chilkoot Tours for a Bus / Train combo tour to Emerald Lake. The Canadian authorities boarded the bus on the way up and we just held our passports near our face so they could compare the photos were actually of us. Nothing was scanned. U S authorities did a similar check on the train on the way back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect. That’s what I was wondering!! I think we are gonna chance it and take the bus tour. Just don’t say anything if not asked, right!!! Haha:cool:

We used Rainbow Glacier Adventures in July to the suspension bridge. The driver checked everyone's passport before boarding. At the border the Canadian border security boarded the bus, as described, we held our passports alongside our faces, he glanced at them, we went on. Some bicyclists ahead of us were turned away.

At the US border no one checked on the return.

We used Rainbow Glacier Adventures in July to the suspension bridge. The driver checked everyone's passport before boarding. At the border the Canadian border security boarded the bus, as described, we held our passports alongside our faces, he glanced at them, we went on. Some bicyclists ahead of us were turned away.

At the US border no one checked on the return.

I just looked up that tour... how did you like it??? Sounds like something we would like!!

I just looked up that tour... how did you like it??? Sounds like something we would like!!

We liked it. Cheaper than the train and you don't have to battle for seats on the cliff side, everyone has a good view.

The suspension bridge was less ominous than we expected but the scenery is great.

Our driver/guide was a photographer named Cindy Schultz who leads some of their photo tours in the morning (we went in the afternoon). She knew the details of the route and the history. She's been working for two seasons, came from upstate NY. Was open about discussing the cost of living for seasonal workers which was useful. How the medical clinic has a nurse practitioner and the doctor visits maybe weekly, little things like that.

And she was really helpful with photos, she'd take your pictures whenever you wanted.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the bus up and White Pass Railroad down in late August 18. Checks at both the Canadian boarder and the US boarder were routine. Hold the passport up with the picture page open. A customs agent walks down the aisle of the bus/train and glances at you and your passport. No problems.