Extended stay in Sidney

Maneiros

Hoping to fly to Sidney in May/June 2005 from US. Granddaughter will be at UNSW in Sidney for winter semester and would like to stay 2 weeks minimum to visit/tour with her. Problem is finding economical accomodations for the extended period of time. I have a cousin in Brisbane I'd like to visit also, if time permits. Travelling will be my self and my husband (who is older, healthy, but tires more easily than I do!). A cruising friend suggested I try asking on this board. Thanks for any and all suggestions! Peggy :o

It obviously depends on your budget but you can anticipate, at current exchange rates, things being about 20% cheaper in Sydney than in the US. That's a generalization but prices in Australia usually include taxes and the tipping mentality is nowhere near as pervasive.

If you do a Google Search on "Sydney apartment hotels" you'll get a lot of choices. They are a very popular concept in Australia as a cheaper alternative to hotels. I have stayed at at Wardorf apartments in South Sydney. They are very pleasant and start at around US$65.00 per night. The complex has a pool, gym, coffee shop and restaurant. The prime differences from a hotel are that the rooms are a lot bigger, usually with a sitting room and separate bedroom, and they have cooking facilities so you can save on eating out too though that is one of the joys of Sydney you shouldn't miss. Unlike a hotel they are generally serviced weekly so you make your own bed.

Location is good too. It is just out of the city (which is in walking distance) with very good public transport around. If you want to be right downtown or have a harbour view, expect to pay a lot more for the same concept. It's winter at that time of the year but expect an LA type winter with a bit more rain. There is usually great theater, music etc at that time of year.

Have a great vacation!:)

Brisbane is only a one hour flight from Sydney and you can get here fairly cheaply. Do you need accommodation in Brisbane and if so where (is you cousin, I assume you want to be close).Turtlemichael is right about the apartments. The further out you go from the CBD, the cheaper price you are likely to get. I wonder if you might get a good weekly rate at one of the beaches where it will be the "off " season. Have attached a link to an example- don't know what they are like but Coogee isn't too far out of the city. You may find something else on this site, but I am sure if you do an internet search you will find something.

http://www.australiarentals.com.au/AustraliaRentals/property_listing.asp?country=Australia&region=New%20South%20Wales&id=942

good luck. Sue

You might also check on line for vacation homes, we have used this option before and were very pleased with what we got. Instead of a hotel room , we had a house with aprivate pool and spa and it was much more economical. I have looked at the site I used before and it includes homes around the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you who responded. I am going to check out all the suggestions and it sounds like things will work more in our favor than I first thought. Thanks again.....and I'll thank my cruising friends who suggested this site!

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

We stayed at the Chatsworth Plaza Suites in Chatswood for a month when we were in Sydney on business. Chatswood is on the North Shore and a two minute walk from the train that goes to the CBD. The area is near shopping and dining. They have one and two bedroom units, if I remember correctly.

Archived