Any tips for new comers?

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:52 AM.
South Chicago Area
694 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
Set a budget for incidentals, shopping, shore excursions. Then add $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kmom

2019 August 3 Adventure of the Seas - not soon enough
2018 March Oasis of the Seas
2018 January Carnival Sensation review https://boards.cruisecritic.com/show....php?t=2564558
2017 March Carnival Triumph
(Gap period: non-cruise travel to China, Netherlands, Italy, and Peru, followed by a baby in 2005 who asked to go on a cruise at age 11)
2001 October Celebrity Millennium
2000 Disney Magic
1998 Disney Magic
1989 Premier Cruise Lines StarShip Oceanic
1987 Scotia Prince
1985 Premier Cruise Lines StarShip Royale there's nothing like that first cruise.
Michigan
2,010 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by NMLady
...Don't feel that you need to take part in all the activities. Give yourself time to relax...

In the same vein, do you know why you are going on a cruise? Seriously, have you thought about what your biggest hopes & expectations are? Is it about warm weather? Nice beaches? Exotic drinks at funny little bars? Landscapes? Sea scapes? Iguanas? Dolphins? Whales? The ship’s great food? The pool, climbing wall, water slides, etc.? The luxury of just relaxing while a competent staff looks after you? The list of possibles goes on and on; what is it that you are hoping for? The point is, as others have said, don’t try to do it all. And if you have some expectations ahead of time, it will help you focus and prioritize your time.
But oh by the way... Prepare to be flexible and enjoy things you never had thought about. And along the way, make mental notes about what you want to do next time; there will be a next time.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

04.1948 - Italian Line MV Vulcania: NY to Piraeus
06.1950 - American Export Line S.S. Exeter: Piraeus to Naples
07.1950 - American Export Line S.S. Excambion: Marseilles to NY
08.1955 - Moore McCormick Lines S.S. Argentina: NY to Buenos Aires
08.1958 - Grace Lines S.S. Santa Cecilia: NY to Arica, Chile
02.2013 - RCCL Adventure of the Seas: San Juan -Southern Caribbean
11.2014 - RCLL Adventure of the Seas: TA Southampton to San Juan
02.2015 - Celebrity Infinity: Buenos Aires to Cape Horn and Antarctica
12.2015 - Celebrity Infinity: Fort Lauderdale to Valparaiso Chile
08.2016 - B2B Celebrity Millennium: Seward AK to Vancouver CA to Seward AK
11.2016 - Celebrity Silhouette: TA Rome to FLL

01.2017 - Celebrity Eclipse: Exotic Southern Caribbean
07.2017 - Celebrity Constellation: Greek Isles
12.2017 - Celebrity Summit, Dutch Antilles Caribbean
03.2018 - Celebrity Xpedition: Galapagos
06.2018 - Celbrity Summit, Bermuda and New England

09.2018 - Celebrity Equinox, Southern Caribbean
11.2018 - Celebrity Eclipse: Italy & The Adriatic
11.2018 - Celebrity Eclipse: TA Barcelona to Buenos Aires
03.2019 - Celebrity Eclipse: BA to Valparaiso
03.2019 - Celebrity Eclipse: and on up to San Diego

09.2019 - Celebrity Reflection Amsterdam to Barcelona
09.2019 - Celebrity Reflection Italy & Spain
02.2020 - Celebrity Solstice Auckland to Melbourne
02.2020 - Celebrity Solstice Melbourne back to Aukland
Long Island,NY
4,261 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Netosha
What are some tips you would offer for a first time cruiser?

Leave your worries at home .Relax and enjoy the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
5,014 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Take a cheap watch and set it to ship's time when you leave the ship so that you don't get left behind when the ship leaves. Some of the ports are on a different time zone so looking at a clock at a bar might cause you to be wrong about what time it is and you could miss the ship. Your phone will auto correct to the time zone. A cheap watch will keep you on ship time.
WA state
3,624 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Top 5 Cruise Travel Rules:

1. DO NOT travel to the embarkation port on the day the cruise starts. Delay's happen including things that you have absolutely no control over.

2. Get travel insurance! All it has to do is save you $$ one time to have more than paid for its cost every time!

3. Keep your passport and other travel docs with you at all times while traveling and NEVER put them in your luggage!

4. Check that you have all travel documents with you before you leave your house!

5. After you make your cruise reservations, continue to check back with the cruiseline website to check for price drops, added benefits such as OBC (On Board Credit) or newly added benefits, etc.) and, if you find them, contact your cruise line (or TA (Travel Agent) to see if your booking can be modified to include them. Do this right up to the end.  The worst that can happen is you'll be told no!

Tom
Philadelphia area
2,331 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
1. Do your research. Check out the your ship's deck plans and get familiar with them beforehand. This will give you an idea of how to get around, and it will also let you know just what the ship offers.

2. Same thing for ports. Check out the Port of Call threads and Trip Adviser.

3. Join your roll call.

4. Food. If you see two entrees on the dinner menu that you really like, order both. Same for appetizers and desserts.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Up next, Bermuda on Celebrity Summit:

[email protected]

Lines sailed: RCI, Carnival, Holland America, Cunard, Celebrity, Princess

Review of Celebrity Summit Bermuda cruise June 2016
WA state
3,624 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
Originally posted by LA_CA_GAL
1. Do your research. Check out the your ship's deck plans and get familiar with them beforehand. This will give you an idea of how to get around, and it will also let you know just what the ship offers.

2. Same thing for ports. Check out the Port of Call threads and Trip Adviser.

3. Join your roll call.

4. Food. If you see two entrees on the dinner menu that you really like, order both. Same for appetizers and desserts.
On #4, if you don't want to eat that much, see if either of the two will be on a following day's menu so you can eat one then and the other one today!

Tom
18 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by ricew001
I saved this document from this board years ago and have found it very helpful.

Go with an open mind and be nice to everyone. They will be nice to you. If you're a drinker, tip your bartender an extra dollar here and there! The service will be amazing

Thank you so much for that document. very helpful information in it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
27 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by lenquixote66
Leave your worries at home .Relax and enjoy the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dream 8/18
Glory 9/17
Toronto, Canada
4,441 Posts
Joined May 2006
The port times listed in the itinerary are not the earliest time you can get off the ship, nor the latest time you can board the ship. Times listed on an itinerary are when the ship is expected to dock and undock.

Last aboard time will be printed in your daily cruise planner. There will usually be a sign with the same information on your way off the ship or at the bottom of the gang plank. This time is the time by which one has to be back aboard the ship. In tendered ports, the last tender time will be listed instead.

Port times can be adjusted for various reasons. Always check the daily planner and listen to announcements.
Clearwater, Florida
648 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
If you see something you really like in one of the shops onboard, don't rush to buy it. Often the shops will have very good sales the last couple of days of the cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MARY
PROUD MEMBER OF WATPOPWUA

Carnival Jubilee 12/2001
RC Sovereign of the Seas 6/2005
Carnival Legend 9/2007
Carnival Glory- 8/2008
Carnival Freedom 9/2009
Carnival Legend 8/2010
Carnival Dream! 9/2011
Carnival Freedom 6/2012
Carnival Valor 9/2013
Carnival Conquest 10/2017
Carnival Paradise 7/2018
Carnival Magic 9/2019
WA state
3,624 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
ALWAYS take a copy of the Princess Patter (or applicable daily "newsletter" for your cruise line) with you when you go ashore, especially if you're going on an excursion that is not sponsored by the cruise line. That's because if something happens and you miss the sailing time, the name and contact information for the Port Agent for your cruise line will be printed there and that is the person whom you will want to get in touch with to help you get married up with your ship again. They will also probably have your travel documents should you have left them in the safe in your cabin.

Tom
Wales UK
94 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Originally posted by Netosha
What are some tips you would offer for a first time cruiser?a
Just back from my first ever cruise, from UK so might be slightly different. I read all the posts avidly, dressing for dinner meant an opportunity for new outfits. I went way over the top and arrived on embarkation day like a pack horse, bags dangling from everywhere, in addition to my two cases. The advice I am giving to myself for my next cruise is you can wear things more than once and nobody cares. Mix and match evening trousers and tops are my way forward and above all if it's not comfortable don't take it. I probably needed a third of what I took. Be yourself, do what suits you, and take comfy shoes. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.
Trinidad
23 Posts
Joined Feb 2015
Originally posted by ricew001
Read the reviews - I have two of mine in my signature. It gives you a great idea of what to expect. I'm also attaching a document that was posted here before that I think is helpful. Good luck!
This attachment is excellent. Thanks much.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature