Pre River Cruise packages

Mr&MrsMac

Booked a Viking river cruise departing from Amsterdam. They offer a pre cruise package that seems expensive but it would certainly be the worry for approach for first time travellers like us. Anyone have any comments / words of wisdom about using the company’s package vs making our own arrangements?

Thanks

We're considering the same package for our April 2019 cruise. You end up paying a lot for convenience - but maybe that's worth it to you.

The airport/hotel transfers are nice. However, the train from the airport to the train station in the city center is very fast and very cheap (and has excellent signage). Assuming you're in the Movenpick, it's a short walk or easy tram ride from the train station.

The 2-hour walking tour is the same one that is offered on the cruise's departure day (I think) - you also may be better off with a guide book and doing your own walking tours. Amsterdam, in general, is very easy to navigate. Most locals are proficient with English. The tram and bus system they have really does go everywhere - and does so quickly enough.

We're traveling with people who have never been to Amsterdam. If there's a big reason for us to book our own hotels its to pay less per person/per night and to stay somewhere more central. The Movenpick is hardly far from everything (again, Amsterdam is relatively compact) but an extra 10-20 minutes each time we return to the hotel adds up. I'd rather stay somewhere in the Western canal ring and get a more immersive experience. I think that would be better for my first-time companions, too.

On our first Vik River (Bud' to Nurem' Danube) to did the 'pre' stay thru Viking in Budapest and all in all it was very good but $$ for what we got. It was DW's first trip to Europe tho and there was a comfort factor.

We quickly explored 'the other side' tho as we did 2 nites in Nurem' on our own, followed by a train trip and 2 more nites in Hamburg (TA helped). That built DW's confidence. So much that she recently went with DD to Oslo, trained to Bergen then flew to Copenhagen staying in AirBnB a few days at each place and booking everything on their own!!! With a little web research and the typically excellent public transportation in EU we're already very ready for our next pre-cruise days in London booked all on our own . . . it saves big $$ but does require some computer time / research.

In most places you can get a 'city card' which discounts museums and includes all public transport like bus/trolley/underground ... that or a hop on hop off gets us around town for exploring.

Thanks for the comments - we are leaning towards going with the cruise lines package because this will be our first outing like this but when I explored what hotels and transportation would cost it appeared that it would be considerably less expensive if we did the pre trip on our own. Possibly there is something I am missing in the calculations - No problem with the cruise company making a profit on the pre trip as they take the responsibility for everything but it appears to be almost double the cost.

Thanks for the comments - we are leaning towards going with the cruise lines package because this will be our first outing like this but when I explored what hotels and transportation would cost it appeared that it would be considerably less expensive if we did the pre trip on our own. Possibly there is something I am missing in the calculations - No problem with the cruise company making a profit on the pre trip as they take the responsibility for everything but it appears to be almost double the cost.

I totally understand how you feel. We traveled with several friends and I was the one hold out for saving money and doing everything ourselves. But, I was overruled so we booked through Viking. I have to admit it was so much less stressful booking through Viking. We had a bus waiting for us when we off of the airplane in Zurich. No worries with lugging your suitcases to the train station, no lugging them from the train station to the hotel - we didn't even have to take them to the room ourselves! And I honestly believe our rooms were a bit upgraded from what we would have booked on our own. We didn't have to go looking for a place to eat breakfast as it was included. We got a great walking tour included. And we didn't have to worry about transportation from Lucerne to Basel an hour and a half away. We were taken direct to our ship. It was luxurious to have no worries at all.

If you use Viking for your air travel, don’t forget to factor in the $100.00 pp trip deviation fee. We have used Viking pre and post cruise, and while I know we could save a bit of money doing the trips on our own, it has always been *really* nice not having to worry about anything.

We wouldn’t hesitate to do it again :)

Jeff

As others have said, you are paying for convenience. Both DH and I work full time, and I don't have the time to figure out everything on my own. For our Rhone River cruise last fall, we added the 3 night Paris Extension. It was lovely to walk out of passport control to the waiting Viking reps who bundled us to our waiting taxi. The services of a Viking rep to answer questions/make suggestions, and best of all, the transfer to the train station for the trip to Lyon where everything was taken care of.

We're doing a pre-cruise to Prague. The price seemed outrageously expensive, especially since I looked up the cost of the hotel. However, if we did it on our own we would have had to add $100 pp air deviation and the price includes the transfer to the hotel, the trip from Prague to Nuremberg, a Prague tour and the Viking concierge. So, it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

We're doing a pre-cruise to Prague. The price seemed outrageously expensive, especially since I looked up the cost of the hotel. However, if we did it on our own we would have had to add $100 pp air deviation and the price includes the transfer to the hotel, the trip from Prague to Nuremberg, a Prague tour and the Viking concierge. So, it wasn't as bad as I first thought.

Exactly.

Out of curiosity, I added up what the cost to us would have been on our Paris pre-cruise last month:

Three nights hotel at the Hyatt Regency Etoile with breakfast $1100.00 with tax

Private car transfer from CDG to Hyatt - I would guesstimate a minimum of $50

Panoramic Paris tour - maybe $50 each

Transfer to Gare de Lyon $30 ish?

First Class TGV tickets to Lyon approximately $100 each (marked $86 each before tax)

Trip deviation $100 each

Adding the above, it would be $1,680

Our cost was about $100 less! Of course, we could find much less-expensive accommodations, take the RER, etc. but again it was really nice to have to think of nothing :D

Jeff

Even adding in the deviation fee I was able to book my pre and post stays at substantially less cost than Viking wanted. This was for both Amsterdam and Budapest. Also stayed in hotels that I felt were better situated for my touring. Stayed at the Renaissance in Amsterdam and the Marriott in Budapest. Transportation was minimal and easy as an independent.

Every cruise line pre- and post- extension I have looked at (river or ocean) charges more per person than I would have to pay for the room at the same hotel. They add other services (transfers, tours, a very few meals) – and they provide a seamless experience – but you lose control and have very little free time to see what you want to see. I have gone both ways: in Switzerland, it seemed worthwhile to pay for the extension because AMA turned the transfers into guided tours; in Amsterdam it was not needed because that city is so easy to DIY. Also that was our first river cruise, so we felt somewhat out of our element (especially in a German-speaking area) – now that we are more experienced we are also more adventuresome. So my advice is: do what you are most comfortable with.

I think sometimes it's worth the extra money to book through your host agency and just let them take care of all the messy details for you. On our upcoming trip, I booked an extra day at the beginning and did so through the cruise so I don't have to worry about transfers, etc. I'm also booking my air through them so they will pick us up at the airport in Hanoi and get us to the airport at the end. I don't want to have to worry about anything. When we did our Europe cruise, I booked flights myself. I also booked a week in Prague on my own arranging an AirBnb and all our activities. I also added a week at the end in Paris and did all that planning myself as well.

Bottom like I think it's all about you and what you want to do with the details. Show up and have fun and not worry about it or have to handle the planning. Sometimes the lack of stress is worth the extra money.

Yes, and breakfast every day in Prague.

When we did our Rhine Getaway with Viking in 2016, we booked the Lucerne post cruise, through Viking. It was wonderful having them handle all the details, and not worrying about a thing. We weren’t wild about the hotel (Hotel Flora), but it was conveniently located and the included breakfast was very good. We just had some issues with the staff - which the Viking rep handled. We did the walking tour, and then the Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip on our own

Before the cruise, we did 3 days in Amsterdam on our own. We’d been there before so we were comfortable with that, plus the Viking extensions on both ends of the dates we wanted to cruise were sold out. We had to keep shuffling around just to get Lucerne. Do keep that in mind when booking - and we booked over a year out.

We did book Viking Air (with Air Plus) so we paid the deviation fee. I read a number of reviews for hotels and we decided on The Toren - one of the highest rated in Amsterdam. It’s centrally located on the Kaisersgracht, around the corner and 1 block up from the Anne Frank House and the Westerkirk.

It’s lovely hotel with a great staff. We booked a Double Canal View and they upgraded us to a really big room with a huge whirlpool tub - same price. It was fabulous! We also arranged with them to have a driver meet us at the airport with a sign. So nice when you arrive early in the morning after a long overnight flight.

No wrangling luggage. No searching for a taxi or dealing with a train or bus. He was waiting as we left the customs area, knew right where to go and he spoke English!

We went to a concert at the Concertgebouw. Had several delicious meals at various restaurants, including a Amsterdam Jewel dinner cruise (highly recommended - fabulous!). Saw the sights, visited several museums, took another canal cruise, and on the last day had the hotel call us a cab for the ride to the ship.

And all that was still less than the Viking extension [emoji16]. So weigh your options carefully. We didn’t do it to save money, but to be able to do what we wanted when we wanted - and we still saved money.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since this is your first time experiencing foreign travel, I think you made the right decision using your instincts.

But there are some places you might want to visit which are not included in the package. What about Ann Frank House or the Van Gough Museum? Ann Frank House especially needs pre booking months in advance. The pre excursions are not the same as bus tours where every minute of your day is planned out and arranged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Alot should go into your decision....Do you ultimately want to pay upwards for the convenience? Check the area of their hotel....Do you have hotel points to use....Amsterdam is a walkable city, but does anyone have mobility issues.....There are some things that you will want to plan on your own....We do all of our pre and post on our own....with the help of a great TA....ENJOY

For a new traveller I wouldn't suggest doing an extension on your own that requires distance travel. However, if all we are talking about is getting from the airport to a hotel in Amsterdam, and then from the hotel to the ship, it is very easy (and much cheaper) to do on your own. You can stay in a more central location, you can plan to do the things that you want to do, and all that would be very easy in Amsterdam. Even on a pre-cruise you will have time to yourself that you need to fill up; they don't keep you busy all day. They also generally don't include any meal except breakfast (but see what the details are), so you are on your own for lunches and dinners too.

When we did our Rhine Getaway with Viking in 2016, we booked the Lucerne post cruise, through Viking. It was wonderful having them handle all the details, and not worrying about a thing. We weren’t wild about the hotel (Hotel Flora), but it was conveniently located and the included breakfast was very good. We just had some issues with the staff - which the Viking rep handled. We did the walking tour, and then the Mt Pilatus Golden Round Trip on our own

Before the cruise, we did 3 days in Amsterdam on our own. We’d been there before so we were comfortable with that, plus the Viking extensions on both ends of the dates we wanted to cruise were sold out. We had to keep shuffling around just to get Lucerne. Do keep that in mind when booking - and we booked over a year out.

We did book Viking Air (with Air Plus) so we paid the deviation fee. I read a number of reviews for hotels and we decided on The Toren - one of the highest rated in Amsterdam. It’s centrally located on the Kaisersgracht, around the corner and 1 block up from the Anne Frank House and the Westerkirk.

It’s lovely hotel with a great staff. We booked a Double Canal View and they upgraded us to a really big room with a huge whirlpool tub - same price. It was fabulous! We also arranged with them to have a driver meet us at the airport with a sign. So nice when you arrive early in the morning after a long overnight flight.

No wrangling luggage. No searching for a taxi or dealing with a train or bus. He was waiting as we left the customs area, knew right where to go and he spoke English!

We went to a concert at the Concertgebouw. Had several delicious meals at various restaurants, including a Amsterdam Jewel dinner cruise (highly recommended - fabulous!). Saw the sights, visited several museums, took another canal cruise, and on the last day had the hotel call us a cab for the ride to the ship.

And all that was still less than the Viking extension [emoji16]. So weigh your options carefully. We didn’t do it to save money, but to be able to do what we wanted when we wanted - and we still saved money.

We are doing this cruise on Viking Hlin in late June--booked only in February in response to a 5-day promotion with free air. Viking's pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam was sold out, so we booked the post-cruise extension in Lucerne. We will arrive in Amsterdam around 8:45 a.m. on the day of departure. Apparently Viking is not offering a walking tour of Amsterdam on the day of embarkation, so we're on our own. My apologies if you answered this on another thread, but can you tell me when the ship usually departs Amsterdam? We have booked tickets for the Anne Frank House online for 2:45 p.m., hoping that this will give us enough time to freshen up, get a bite to eat, visit the house, do a little more sightseeing, and get back to the ship in time for departure. In Lucerne, we are also thinking of doing the Golden Ticket trip to Mt. Pilatus on our own, if the weather is good. I am a little alarmed about the gondola part, though! Any other suggestions you have about Amsterdam or Lucerne would be appreciated!

We are doing this cruise on Viking Hlin in late June--booked only in February in response to a 5-day promotion with free air. Viking's pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam was sold out, so we booked the post-cruise extension in Lucerne. We will arrive in Amsterdam around 8:45 a.m. on the day of departure. Apparently Viking is not offering a walking tour of Amsterdam on the day of embarkation, so we're on our own. My apologies if you answered this on another thread, but can you tell me when the ship usually departs Amsterdam? We have booked tickets for the Anne Frank House online for 2:45 p.m., hoping that this will give us enough time to freshen up, get a bite to eat, visit the house, do a little more sightseeing, and get back to the ship in time for departure. In Lucerne, we are also thinking of doing the Golden Ticket trip to Mt. Pilatus on our own, if the weather is good. I am a little alarmed about the gondola part, though! Any other suggestions you have about Amsterdam or Lucerne would be appreciated!

Don't sweat the gondola! The cog railway is an interesting engineering feat, but the views from the gondola are completely different and well worth the mild agita. If Viking isn't giving you a boat ride on Lake Lucerne, do the gold ticket that includes one. Otherwise you can take a train from Lucerne to the base of the railway and save a little money.

On our Rhine cruise in 2016 we sailed towards the end of dinner- about 8pm - I’m guessing. Maybe 8:30.

We are doing this cruise on Viking Hlin in late June--booked only in February in response to a 5-day promotion with free air. Viking's pre-cruise extension in Amsterdam was sold out, so we booked the post-cruise extension in Lucerne. We will arrive in Amsterdam around 8:45 a.m. on the day of departure. Apparently Viking is not offering a walking tour of Amsterdam on the day of embarkation, so we're on our own. My apologies if you answered this on another thread, but can you tell me when the ship usually departs Amsterdam? We have booked tickets for the Anne Frank House online for 2:45 p.m., hoping that this will give us enough time to freshen up, get a bite to eat, visit the house, do a little more sightseeing, and get back to the ship in time for departure.

Greetings.

Last year, the ship left Amsterdam at around 11:30 PM. Probably leaving around the same time this year as well. You should have plenty of time.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Greetings.

Last year, the ship left Amsterdam at around 11:30 PM. Probably leaving around the same time this year as well. You should have plenty of time.

Enjoy!

Jeff

We went from Amsterdam to Basel on The Alruna last week.The ship left Amsterdam around 11;30pm . We were not docked in the center of the city but Viking had shuttles running back and forth.