Lanyards?


Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:45 PM.
#41
Mississauga Canada
138 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by serene56
it will be listed in your ships activity pages what will be needed to get on and off the ship. Most ports require your photo id-- some do not though
Thank you serene56 - we're flying into San Juan from Toronto Canada - I wasn't even going to bring my DL! Can I ask a dumb question? The activity pages - is this what others are calling "platters"?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
_______________
Past Cruises:

Emerald Princess Feb.2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess Jan.2011 - Southern Caribbean Medley
#42
Florida
345 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by CruisinNewbie2010
Thank you serene56 - we're flying into San Juan from Toronto Canada - I wasn't even going to bring my DL! Can I ask a dumb question? The activity pages - is this what others are calling "platters"?
Yes, except it's Patter. The Princess Patter. Every line calls their's something different, but it will tell you everything that's going on onboard and more.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nov 2013 Norwegian Dawn: Nowhere
May 2012 Carnival Sensation: Bahamas
Nov 2010 RCCL Navigator of the Seas: Western Caribbean
Oct 2008 Norwegian Star: Mexican Riviera
Aug 2007 Caribbean Princess: Eastern again! (thanks Hurricane Dean)
Jun 2005 Caribbean Princess: Eastern Caribbean
Jun 2004 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas: Bahamas
#43
Florida, USA
1,372 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
I finally took the time to read this thread and chuckled the whole time. I am getting ready to go on my 20th cruise and most of the time I wear a lanyard. Why? It is so convenient, especially when you are in the pool. Yes it is waterproof so it is much safer on my neck than leaving it unguarded on a lounge chair with my towels.

I actually have a few in different colors to match my clothing better.

It's ok if you don't want to wear one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land Again after a cheerful, careless voyage." - Mark Twain


Grand Princess 11/11 - Crown Princess 11/10 - Emerald Princess 11/09 - Crown Princess 4/09 - Ruby Princess 12/08 - Coral Princess 11/07 - Caribbean Princess 7/07 - Star Princess 4/07 - Caribbean Princess 11/06 - Sun Princess 10/06 - HAL Veendam 4/06 - HAL Westerdam 1/06 - Star Princess 11/05 - NCL Spirit 3/05 - HAL Zuiderdam 6/05 - Star Princess 11/04 - Celebrity Summit 4/04 - HAL Zuiderdam 11/03 - Golden Princess 11/02 - Celebrity Horizon 11/01 - RCI Sovereign of the Seas 10/99
#44
Mississauga Canada
138 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by daldog
Yes, except it's Patter. The Princess Patter. Every line calls their's something different, but it will tell you everything that's going on onboard and more.
Ha, well I was close!! Thank you again....so much to learn!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
_______________
Past Cruises:

Emerald Princess Feb.2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess Jan.2011 - Southern Caribbean Medley
#45
Georgia
6,314 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by CruisinNewbie2010
Thank you serene56 - we're flying into San Juan from Toronto Canada - I wasn't even going to bring my DL! Can I ask a dumb question? The activity pages - is this what others are calling "platters"?
You can use your passport, do not have to bring a DL. They just want a picture ID.
#46
5,011 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
In today's security-mindful world, most of us are required to wear a lanyard at work. It's the first thing I yank off my neck when I get to my car and the last thing I put on before entering the building. Just personal taste to either "hate 'em" or "love 'em." On vacation it's fabulous not to have that thing on me all the time, so I choose not to wear one. If I had a couple of small children, it would probably give me one less thing to have to keep up with and leave me hands free, so I might use it. I stick my sign 'n sail or SeaPass card in one of those tiny little bags that slip across me when I leave the ship. It isn't any less cumbersome; it just makes me feel like "I'm on vacation." Our teens would ditch them in a heartbeat if we tried to get them to wear a lanyard. My Grandson was MOST thrilled when he got to stop wearing the wristband. He keeps his Seapass in a pocket in his shorts or his swimsuit. He's the only one of us who hasn't misplaced or lost his. I feel naked without some sort of bag, be it ever so small. Personal choice.
#47
south louisiana
88 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
i put it on when i leave the cabin. i am forgetful and would likely lose it. i never knew there were people thinking i looked stupid, unattractive, and wierd. hmmm. maybe i'll stop wearing it and get locked out of my cabin......
lol. not in this lifetime!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#48
illinois
325 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by ddgg
My husband and I both wear them, and we are NOT newbies, we are Princess Elite. I never carry a purse, and sometimes I don't have any pockets. I don't put it in my husband's pocket because we are not glued at the hip 24/7.
I just want to clarify the response I made earlier.....We only wear the card on a lanyard while onboard. It's just easier. We NEVER wear them ashore! I don't want to call attention to myself as a tourist any more than I have to for security/safety reasons.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
My retirement goal was to sail as often as possible--anywhere!
Now I AM retired and achieving my goal!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
#49
USA
98 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
heehee this thread was amusing! I'm a first timer cruiser leaving on Friday for our cruise (woohoo!) and I will proudly be wearing my lanyard I wear one at work everyday too but I think there will be enough clues that I'm not at work anymore to let a little lanyard bug me

I even went to KMart to pick up a waterproof one that ziplocks shut so I don't have to carry around a purse off the cruise ship. Sweet! Honestly, I could care less if I look silly to anyone else, I'm not there to please anyone except myself and my DH! To each their own, but what's the use in judging those who do want to wear one? We don't judge you for not wearing one

Enjoy your cruise OP!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#50
Fenton, Michigan
490 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by RLA2010
heehee this thread was amusing! I'm a first timer cruiser leaving on Friday for our cruise (woohoo!) and I will proudly be wearing my lanyard I wear one at work everyday too but I think there will be enough clues that I'm not at work anymore to let a little lanyard bug me

I even went to KMart to pick up a waterproof one that ziplocks shut so I don't have to carry around a purse off the cruise ship. Sweet! Honestly, I could care less if I look silly to anyone else, I'm not there to please anyone except myself and my DH! To each their own, but what's the use in judging those who do want to wear one? We don't judge you for not wearing one

Enjoy your cruise OP!
Amen Sister! I completely agree with not judging people whether they/we wear lanyards or not. I also don't bother with a purse on board - I'm on VACATION after all! As for some of us OCD sufferers, knowing that my cabin key is attached to my body in some way without me having to look in my purse or pocket 5 times before I close the door, I LOVE my lanyard, thank you very much!

I'm not cruising to impress people - I'm there to enjoy time spent with my DH. Oh, by the way, I HAVE worn my slippers to the buffet too!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Sue


Caribbean Princess ~ Caribbean - Western 3/19/17
Ruby Princess ~ Alaska RT Seattle 05/15/16
Coral Princess
~ Alaska Northbound 05/13/2015
Crown Princess ~ California Coastal 04/26/2014
Coral Princess ~ Panama Canal 11/15/2013
Star Princess ~ Alaska RT Seattle 05/18/2013
Coral Princess ~ Alaska Northbound 05/20/2011
Island Princess ~ Alaska Northbound 05/25/2009
#51
USA
98 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by sesrandall
Amen Sister! I completely agree with not judging people whether they/we wear lanyards or not. I also don't bother with a purse on board - I'm on VACATION after all! As for some of us OCD sufferers, knowing that my cabin key is attached to my body in some way without me having to look in my purse or pocket 5 times before I close the door, I LOVE my lanyard, thank you very much!

I'm not cruising to impress people - I'm there to enjoy time spent with my DH. Oh, by the way, I HAVE worn my slippers to the buffet too!
Slippers to buffet sounds comfy!! I'm very excited to lounge in my PJs whilst enjoying breakfast on my balcony! OMG two more days of work and then I leave for vacation!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#52
We live in the suburbs of Cleveland, OH
237 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I like the lanyard because I loop it around the handle of my purse/deck bag and then hang it down inside my purse......that way, when I need it, I just pull on the lanyard and I don't have to fumble with it being at the bottom of the bag and I don't have to get my wallet out
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#53
Fenton, Michigan
490 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by RLA2010
Slippers to buffet sounds comfy!! I'm very excited to lounge in my PJs whilst enjoying breakfast on my balcony! OMG two more days of work and then I leave for vacation!!!
I hope you can sleep between now and then! You enjoy your trip and your balcony!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


Sue


Caribbean Princess ~ Caribbean - Western 3/19/17
Ruby Princess ~ Alaska RT Seattle 05/15/16
Coral Princess
~ Alaska Northbound 05/13/2015
Crown Princess ~ California Coastal 04/26/2014
Coral Princess ~ Panama Canal 11/15/2013
Star Princess ~ Alaska RT Seattle 05/18/2013
Coral Princess ~ Alaska Northbound 05/20/2011
Island Princess ~ Alaska Northbound 05/25/2009
#54
In the Valley, CA
23,062 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by ddgg
I just want to clarify the response I made earlier.....We only wear the card on a lanyard while onboard. It's just easier. We NEVER wear them ashore! I don't want to call attention to myself as a tourist any more than I have to for security/safety reasons.
I use mine onboard and before we get off the ship, transfer $, photo ID, ship's card to a little pouch that I can wear under my clothes. My hubby liked that so when he saw some in a store, he bought a couple more.

Originally posted by johneeo
I believe that when you return to the ship, your card is swiped. Your picture is then brought up on a monitor, and a security person will look at it and verify.
When you first board the ship, you will stop by a photo machine that will take your photo. This is not optional as this is the photo that is imbedded onto your cabin keycard. Whenever you are leaving the ship in port or returning, you will insert your card into a card reader. When you hear the "ding" that means you can proceed. This is the way to keep track of who's on board or not.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home
#55
USA
98 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by sesrandall
I hope you can sleep between now and then! You enjoy your trip and your balcony!!
Thanks! So far I have been able to sleep since I stay so busy during the day that I just conk out at night!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#56
USA
8,951 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
Must be me, but in all my cruise haven't felt the need to buy one before or on the ship. Each time I get on, I notice all those that wear them around the neck and go that might be nice, but again I have survived every cruise without one fine, as have my kids.

Originally posted by scrapmamma
Do they hand them out with the card for free when you start your cruise?

How much are they if they aren't free and I wonder if I should just buy some cheap at home first.

TIA!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: 1999, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2015 Disney: 2000 Carnival:2005
#57
Nova Scotia
4 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I'm a newbie...and if I feel like wearing a lanyard around my neck when I'm on board - I'm pretty darn sure that I'll still be more attractive than you wrinkly 'experienced' lanyard biased peeps. I can guaruntee you that!!!

It makes me laugh how a cruising 'status' can make people take on an elitist attitude. Get over yourselves.
#58
Rockport, Texas
5,864 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by shass
I'm a newbie...and if I feel like wearing a lanyard around my neck when I'm on board - I'm pretty darn sure that I'll still be more attractive than you wrinkly 'experienced' lanyard biased peeps. I can guaruntee you that!!!

It makes me laugh how a cruising 'status' can make people take on an elitist attitude. Get over yourselves.
Welcome to cruise critic, but you needn't get your pannties in a wad over this. Different people have different opionions and that's the beauty of cruise critic. People can state their experiences, facts, preferences, and opinions. No need for you to be so abrasive about it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Loved:
ALASKA-Sapphire-Seattle,Ketchikan,Juneau,Skagw
ASIA-Majestic-Singapore,Cambodia,Vietnam,Korea,China
BALTIC-Emerald-Copenhagen,Stockholm,Helsinki,StPetersburg, Tallinn,Gdynia,Oslo
BVI-RoyalStarClipper-Barbados,StBarts,NormanIsland, VirginGorda,Antigua,StKitts,IlesdesSaintes,Dominic a,StLucia
CARIBBEAN:
Bahamas-COSTA Magica/Fascination/Imagination/MajestyOfTheSeas/Century/Caribbean/NCL Skyx4/Ruby/AllureOfTheSeas
East-Star-FtLaud,SanJuan,Tortola,StThomas,GrdCayman
South-Ocean(old)-Barbados,StLucia,StMartin, StThomas,Antigua/Emerald-PCay,StThomas,Dominica,Grenada,Bonaire,Aruba
West-Grand/Ruby/Crown/Dawn-Roatan,Belize,OchoRios,GrCayman,Cozumel,PCay
CHINA-Century Sun-Shanghai,Yangtze,Xian,Beijing
EGYPT-MS Nile Dolphin-Cairo,Luxor,Edfu,Aswan,AbuSimbel
MED-Star-Rome,Naples,Athens,Ephesus,Istanbul,Cairo,Alexandr ia
PanCANAL-Coralx2-CostaMaya,GrdCayman,Limon,Colon
SoAMERICA-Star-Rio,Montevideo,BuenosAires,Falklands, CapeHorn,PuntaArenas,Valparaiso,Coquimbo,Callao,Ma nta,Puntarenas,SanJuandelSur,Manzanillo,Cabo,SanFr an
TAHITI-TahitianB2B-Papeete,Marquesas,Society,CookIslands
TransATLANTIC-Star-Rome,Livorno,Genoa,Cannes,Barcelona,Cadiz,Tangiers ,Gibralter,Madeira,FtLaud
GREEK ISLANDS- HAL Ryndam-10 islands,Athens-Istanbul-Athens


#59
S.W. FLA
234 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Long Live Lanyards.

No need to bash people who wear them !



Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1/2015 NCL Gem
5/2014 RCI Vision
3/2011 RCI Liberty of the Seas
9/2010 RCI Grandeur
9/2009 Carnival Glory
9/2008 RCI Freedom of the Seas
9/2007 Carnival Miracle
9/2006 RCI Explorer of the Seas
1971 Some tiny boat to Bahamas
#60
Cincinnati, OH
8,465 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
They do have some pretty lanyards that are made with beads and you can wear on your wrist.

As far as people who think they are stupid looking, good thing I don't give a poop what you think about what I wear. To each his own.