Beaches in St Maarten

mschultz727

Between these three, which is better for sunning/getting in the water? Pinel Island, Friar's Bay or Simpson Bay?

Also, are there places to rent chairs/umbrellas at these beaches?

Thanks in advance!:D

I like Pinel. Would want a car to get there on a cruise stop. Need to make sure the ferry is running.

After the Hurricanes, Celebrity ship shorex switched from Orient Beach to Kim Sha Beach, I have read it's in Simpsons Bay.

Yes it in the Simpson Bay Area BUT it is not the lovely Simpson Bay Beach. Completely different beach.

We toured the island via Twin Island Excursions and spent a couple hours at Friar's Bay. The beach was very nice, not many people and Kali's Beach Bar was open for food/drink (chairs/recliners/umbrellas available). Our kids (late 20s) had fun walking the nearby trails and viewing the iguanas. I enjoyed talking with Kali about the beach/bar and the hurricane. Our tour guide, Rick, did a great job showing us the entire island and our time at Friar's was an enjoyable/relaxing portion of the tour.

We were looking at beach options since we usually go to Orient Beach. I thought Kim Sha was a good option but after some research I found the Sint Maarten Nature foundation report on that area. It was posted January 15, 2018:

http://www.naturefoundationsxm.org/2018/01/15/sint-maarten-nature-foundation-concerned-about-waste-water-garbage-and-possible-sewage-being-dumped-at-kim-sha-beach/

It may be better in a few months but we will be there in March so we will keep looking at options.

• 1 month later...
Pineal is great, but fairly remote and harder to get to - as is Friars. Simpson Bay is probably the easiest as far as transportation is concerned.

Going to st martin via princess in April....can I get a cab to simpson Bay and do they rent umbrella and chairs??

thanks in advance