Questions on NO tours,sightseeing, restaurants and shopping advice needed????

Summerstravel

I was in NO once but didn't do much we did take a private tour around the city. We actually had a hard time finding a decent place to eat. We will be going in November this year. We have 3 days for sightseeing this time. We are staying at Harrah's Hotel. Thanks for your help!

Swamp Tours

Grave Yards

WW 2 museum

Voo Doo authentic store

Shopping

• 2 weeks later...

I highly suggest French Quarter Phantoms for tours. Check out their website, and they are also often available on Groupon. Definitely do a cemetery tour. Food is sooo subjective, because I’ve never had a bad meal in NOLA. Everything from Daisy Dukes to Antoine’s is excellent. I definitely recommend Mother’s for breakfast. We are a big fan of Cornet, my favorite Bloody Mary so far. Check out the French Market for shopping and make sure to go into Central Grocery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

A difficult time finding places to eat??? In New Orleans?? I have never heard that.

It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Near Harrah's I would stay away from any chain except Ruth's Chris. Right across the street at the Loewe's Hotel is Cafe Adelaide which is a sister restaurant to Commander's Palace. I love Madina's on the Canal St. streetcar line. You can try Maspero's in the Quarter on Decatur. There is Drago's in the Hilton Hotel - famous for its charbroiled oysters. There is Acme Oyster House in the Quarter and if you want something a little fancier, try Bayona on Dauphine (but you will probably need a reservation). If you need very causal & cheap, there is a food court in the Riverwalk Outlets. It will be busier on days when there are ships in town (usually Saturday, Sunday and then every other Monday & Thursday), but it is always manageable.

You do not list the ages of the people in your party. The French Quarter is walk-able from your hotel. The Aquarium is closer and then you can go along the River to get to Jackson Square. The World War II Museum is amazing for ages 10 & up (especially the planes) and it is fairly close, too. If you have little ones, there is a great Children's Museum. The Audubon Zoo is also excellent.

Since I am from here, I have never been on a tour, but there should be reviews. Also check on sites like Groupon for deals.

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde are a must.

Oh yes!!! My mouth is watering just thinking about them.

And I agree with the others about not finding a decent place to eat in NO. I have only been there once, but the highlight of the entire trip was the food.

A difficult time finding places to eat??? In New Orleans?? I have never heard that.

It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Near Harrah's I would stay away from any chain except Ruth's Chris. Right across the street at the Loewe's Hotel is Cafe Adelaide which is a sister restaurant to Commander's Palace. I love Madina's on the Canal St. streetcar line. You can try Maspero's in the Quarter on Decatur. There is Drago's in the Hilton Hotel - famous for its charbroiled oysters. There is Acme Oyster House in the Quarter and if you want something a little fancier, try Bayona on Dauphine (but you will probably need a reservation). If you need very causal & cheap, there is a food court in the Riverwalk Outlets. It will be busier on days when there are ships in town (usually Saturday, Sunday and then every other Monday & Thursday), but it is always manageable.

You do not list the ages of the people in your party. The French Quarter is walk-able from your hotel. The Aquarium is closer and then you can go along the River to get to Jackson Square. The World War II Museum is amazing for ages 10 & up (especially the planes) and it is fairly close, too. If you have little ones, there is a great Children's Museum. The Audubon Zoo is also excellent.

Since I am from here, I have never been on a tour, but there should be reviews. Also check on sites like Groupon for deals.

Excellent advice. Also Johnny's Po Boys on St Louis Street near Jackson Square (Get a roast beef "dressed") ; Mulate's across from the Convention Center ( try the shrimp Po-boy and the Gumbo); Fiorellos an Decatur Street; take the streetcar up to Camillia Grill on St. Charles or Pascal's Manale on Napoleon Street, or one of the many eateries on Magazine Street in the Garden District.

Excellent advice. Also Johnny's Po Boys on St Louis Street near Jackson Square (Get a roast beef "dressed") ; Mulate's across from the Convention Center ( try the shrimp Po-boy and the Gumbo); Fiorellos an Decatur Street; take the streetcar up to Camillia Grill on St. Charles or Pascal's Manale on Napoleon Street, or one of the many eateries on Magazine Street in the Garden District.

I like to tell people to Google the whatever type of food they're looking for whether it's barbecue or seafood or sandwiches or classic New Orleans or the oldest restaurants in New Orleans and that'll usually give you a top 10 list you can pick from my location

I really don't understand what you're asking. Can't find a decent restaurant? Asking about touring? Staying at Harrahs? Can't enjoy NOLA without a tour? My advice Is to get out and walk! Breath in the city! Take a river boat down the Mississippi and experience the history; walk Royal & Bourbon Streets & drop into the cafes for live jazz at any time of day and whatever you do be sure to line up for the Preservation Hall.

I really don't understand what you're asking. Can't find a decent restaurant? Asking about touring? Staying at Harrahs? Can't enjoy NOLA without a tour? My advice Is to get out and walk! Breath in the city! Take a river boat down the Mississippi and experience the history; walk Royal & Bourbon Streets & drop into the cafes for live jazz at any time of day and whatever you do be sure to line up for the Preservation Hall.

There are well over 900 restaurants in New Orleans so yeah there's plenty of food

• 8 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, simplelife said:

Mulate’s -

We have never been, and I just stumbled across it on a list of live music venues with kids.  I looked at their website,  including their menu, and it seems like a it might be a perfect fit for us the night before our cruise.

Will we feel rushed to hurry up, eat, and clear the table, or is it the type of restaurant where we can take our time and enjoy the show?  Our kids are late teens, so they won’t have any problem sitting still (or might even get up and dance).