Flight from Dubai or Abu Dhabi?

M5M

We are ending a cruise in Abu Dhabi, the ship docks on Sunday afternoon at 3 PM but disembarkation is not till the next morning.. I may have a better flight option leaving that day from Dubai at 11:25 AM. Is there any reason not to use this option? I know I would have to shuttle from Abu Dhabi port to Dubai.

Well, you don't mention airlines or cities or other considerations - so here's some info to ponder.

Yes, you would have to make your way from Abu Dhabi to DXB. How you do that - well, does your cruiseline have transfers available? Would you be wanting a car service? Something else?

The major car service player in the UAE is a company called Careem. It's like Uber, but locally based. Interestingly, the cell phone carrier Etisalat has a visitor SIM offer for 100 AED - and it comes with a credit for up to 100 AED for one Careem ride. Do this, and you basically get the phone service for free if you use Careem to DXB.

If you are flying on Emirates, they run a scheduled bus service from downtown Abu Dhabi direct to DXB. Free for their passengers - you'd just need to get to the pickup point at the right time. If you are in business or first, they have a private car service.

One potential big advantage for AUH is that there is a US pre-clearance facility there. So upon arrival in the USA, you would be treated as a domestic passenger, with no need for customs and immigration and baggage rechecking. Of course, that would only apply to non-stop flights from AUH to the USA - you don't mention airlines, cities or routing, so YMMV.

Finally, DXB is a much bigger airport than AUH. More flights, airlines and routing options.

If you have more specific questions, or wish to provide details for your trip, fire away.

Flyer Talker, thanks for the information. I've made note of the Careem promotion. There is not a cruiseport to airport shuttle, only hired car, so that runs price up. Maybe Abu Dhabi is best anyway. We will have had a little time in Dubai from the cruise. We're thinking pretty heavily about breaking our flights into parts to avoid the super long flights. Flying economy, that's another reason to break the trip. Yesterday I had an itinerary that was--- $1200 pp-- without the Mumbai flight......tried to book it and it was expired! So now I'm aggravated of course, and know we will not likely see that pricing again. I also have thought about booking Texas - London RT as one portion, the the other portion separately. Trip is not till Feb-March so I know I have some time to look. Suggestions appreciated...!

Overall, we're thinking something like this:

Houston or Dallas to London (or other break)

48-72 hour break, see a play...

London to Delhi for a land trip

Mumbai to Abu Dhabi for cruise

Abu Dhabi or Dubai to London (or other break)

London to Houston or Dallas

Which cruise line ? There are so many passengers disembarking and wanting to travel to either airport that the cruise lines usually lay on several coaches to both, with Celebrity this was bookable on board. Perhaps double check. Also as already mentioned if you are flying Emirates they have coaches (with flight No's) which are free from their offices in Abu Dhabi to Dubai airport, journey is just over 2 hrs.