Cannot understand the negatives about Britannia

lynnek

Gosh, that took me while :confused: but I got there in the end :D

It's the convoluted way my brain works.:cool:

But to get back on topic, after viewing yet another Regal Princess video I do have to ask, why on earth did the P&O design team take away all the Wow factor from the Royal design and substitute it with Britannia bland. The atrium on a Princess ship is its focal point and a great venue for all sorts of entertainment, Britannia's would struggle to bring life to a bingo session.

Of the four ships that we have been on we would rate them as,

1/ Adonia,

2/ Britannia,

3/ Ventura,

4/ Azura.

Of course non of them can hold a candle to Ocean Village our first cruise.

Britannia is definitely a favourite of ours however, after four cruises on her I feel that I can be a bit critical. We personally didn't like the Ventura and it has some what prevented us trying another p and o ship.

But to get back on topic, after viewing yet another Regal Princess video I do have to ask, why on earth did the P&O design team take away all the Wow factor from the Royal design and substitute it with Britannia bland. The atrium on a Princess ship is its focal point and a great venue for all sorts of entertainment, Britannia's would struggle to bring life to a bingo session.

I much prefer the Emerald Princess atrium to that of Ventura, and from the looks of it, Britannia's as well. Ventura's seems a bit cramped, dark, small, and understated, whereas Emerald's is a bright, showy focal point. P&O may have done better by designing their atriums somewhere in between modern and glitzy.

While Ventura's is nice, I know which one I'd prefer any day.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did like the decor on Britannia. More like a hotel than a cruise ship. However I agree the atrium has little impact compared to the Princess variant. The pic below reminds me of a shopping centre.

Britannia:

e78bfbc0ed8ee6a4daae5924bc13122b.jpeg

Royal/Regal Princess:

77cfb9a18349947df450d58a919d1b32.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You're spot on Kevin, although I do believe that a John Lewis dept. store is far more glamorous than Britannia's Atrium.

But those 2 photos do show what P&O cruisers are missing, and I do so hope that the team working on the new ship get closer to the Princess style.

You're spot on Kevin, although I do believe that a John Lewis dept. store is far more glamorous than Britannia's Atrium.

But those 2 photos do show what P&O cruisers are missing, and I do so hope that the team working on the new ship get closer to the Princess style.

Not missing anything, Britannia in those photos is much better.

IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yip, agree but for its clientele - the worst CHAV experience ever.

Never on any other ship have I seen such loutish behaviour that we experienced. P&O must reduce their prices to such a level that it attracts the most undesirable and most objectionable people that we have ever met. Never again..... risks are too high.

I think this thread just goes to show that what one person likes another does not. I cannot comment on Britannia as we've not been on her but just comparing the two pictures above of Britannia's atrium and that of Royal Princess I much prefer the Royal Princess version. I can see what the poster means about a John Lewis department store! I find I often agree with what Dai has posted but in this instance he and I prefer different things. That doesn't mean that one of us is right and the other wrong just that we like different things. The Royal Princess atrium reminds me a little of Oceana's which we really like, still has the Wow factor for us when we go on board. I suppose it's not surprising since Oceana is originally a Princess ship.

Going back to the Azura/Ventura comparison, we have cruised on Azura about 4 times, mostly in the Caribbean and Transatlantic. We went on Ventura for the first time in January of this year and had exactly the same cabin we had on Azura, an aft suite. Now I know the ships are exactly the same apart from decor and the Sea Screen/retractable roof thing. However, I much prefer Azura, very hard put to say why - it just had a different feel about it, seems ridiculous to say I don't really know but that's how it is. If we were going on a cruise and the choice was between the two I'd choose Azura.

As far as Britannia is concerned I wouldn't mind going on her just to see for myself but a few things put me off - firstly the size, a lot of walking - the lack of a Promenade Deck would irritate my husband considerably and the very small balconies, although I believe some of the corner aft suites are much larger. What I'm trying to say in all this is that people like different things and some people will post negatives about Britannia while others will say she's wonderful - that's life!

I think this thread just goes to show that what one person likes another does not. I cannot comment on Britannia as we've not been on her but just comparing the two pictures above of Britannia's atrium and that of Royal Princess I much prefer the Royal Princess version. I can see what the poster means about a John Lewis department store! I find I often agree with what Dai has posted but in this instance he and I prefer different things. That doesn't mean that one of us is right and the other wrong just that we like different things. The Royal Princess atrium reminds me a little of Oceana's which we really like, still has the Wow factor for us when we go on board. I suppose it's not surprising since Oceana is originally a Princess ship.

Going back to the Azura/Ventura comparison, we have cruised on Azura about 4 times, mostly in the Caribbean and Transatlantic. We went on Ventura for the first time in January of this year and had exactly the same cabin we had on Azura, an aft suite. Now I know the ships are exactly the same apart from decor and the Sea Screen/retractable roof thing. However, I much prefer Azura, very hard put to say why - it just had a different feel about it, seems ridiculous to say I don't really know but that's how it is. If we were going on a cruise and the choice was between the two I'd choose Azura.

As far as Britannia is concerned I wouldn't mind going on her just to see for myself but a few things put me off - firstly the size, a lot of walking - the lack of a Promenade Deck would irritate my husband considerably and the very small balconies, although I believe some of the corner aft suites are much larger. What I'm trying to say in all this is that people like different things and some people will post negatives about Britannia while others will say she's wonderful - that's life!

The main reason is that both Royal Princess and Oceana (originally built for Princess) are designed for the American market and Oceana was later transferred to P&O. For me cannot compare has have not been on Royal Princess but have Britannia twice and love the atrium and love sitting at the bottom having a coffee people watching.

I think this thread just goes to show that what one person likes another does not. !

You are absolutely correct in what you say so why don't people just accept that others have different opinions instead of going on and on about their own opinion as if anyone who has a different opinion is wrong? One person has even referred to P&O clientele as CHAV's. How offensive is that? That is a disgusting comment to make.

You are absolutely correct in what you say so why don't people just accept that others have different opinions instead of going on and on about their own opinion as if anyone who has a different opinion is wrong? One person has even referred to P&O clientele as CHAV's. How offensive is that? That is a disgusting comment to make.

I can't quite see why it was a disgusting comment, presumably the posters opinion of some of the other passengers is a perfectly reasonable comment if they believed their behaviour warranted it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it should be accepted by all other posters.

I can't quite see why it was a disgusting comment, presumably the posters opinion of some of the other passengers is a perfectly reasonable comment if they believed their behaviour warranted it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it should be accepted by all other posters.

Why do you always feel it necessary to disagree? Of course calling people CHAV's on a Forum that is for P&O is disgusting. Try reading it properly as the comment does not say some people.

As regards accepting other peoples views can I ask if that includes you?

Chavs in my book is a term used to describe loutish behaviour and yes it was really prevalent on our Britannia cruise last December. Obviously not everyone, but a significant number that made many areas almost no-go. We have never experienced this type of behaviour on American lines so why on Britannia ? Its a shame that many Brits just don't know how to behave and are lacking in respect for others.

Of the four ships that we have been on we would rate them as,

1/ Adonia,

2/ Britannia,

3/ Ventura,

4/ Azura.

Of course non of them can hold a candle to Ocean Village our first cruise.

I was just reading some of the comments about Britannia and was reminded about our cruise on Ocean Village II. When we first boarded I have to say I completely froze and wondered how we were going to survive for a week - but it turned out to be the one of the best cruises we have ever done.

There was a note in the cabin asking if we wanted to join a private lounge, I think it was £70 each, and 26 places. It is quite possibly the best £140 we have ever, or, will ever spend. We had breakfast, lunch, canapés, free computer, newspapers and free alcohol in the evenings, for about 2-3 hours before dinner [emoji2] it was absolutely fabulous (literally lol), a little community who sat drinking as much free champagne as we could manage.

The destinations were great, as was everything on that quite brilliant cruise. #fondmemories

I was just reading some of the comments about Britannia and was reminded about our cruise on Ocean Village II. When we first boarded I have to say I completely froze and wondered how we were going to survive for a week - but it turned out to be the one of the best cruises we have ever done.

There was a note in the cabin asking if we wanted to join a private lounge, I think it was £70 each, and 26 places. It is quite possibly the best £140 we have ever, or, will ever spend. We had breakfast, lunch, canapés, free computer, newspapers and free alcohol in the evenings, for about 2-3 hours before dinner [emoji2] it was absolutely fabulous (literally lol), a little community who sat drinking as much free champagne as we could manage.

The destinations were great, as was everything on that

I wouldn't believe everything you read on here. Make your own mind up. We have been on Britannia several times and I would agree that some people can be a little bit lively but I really think its pushing it to call them CHAV's. There is a post earlier about people going around looking as if they had eaten a wasp sandwich.

The fact is that there are a lot of people on a cruise and they are all different. As Scotland's National Bard wrote :

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us

To see oursels as ithers see us! "

Agree the use of the word "Chavs" is wrong, they should have written "Human Detritus".

Yip, agree but for its clientele - the worst CHAV experience ever.

Never on any other ship have I seen such loutish behaviour that we experienced. P&O must reduce their prices to such a level that it attracts the most undesirable and most objectionable people that we have ever met. Never again..... risks are too high.

Agreed. For our part, one P&O cruise, then never again.

This sums up a typical Pandoer.

On a sailaway, we passed close to a well known German cruise ship. Up went a loud chorus "2 World Wars & And 1 Wold Cup - Do Dah - Do Da", repeated ad nauseaum

Then followed by a "La - La" version of the Dambusters tune.

This created much enjoyment for a mass gathering of human detritus, or should one say Chavs?