3pm Embarkation Time in Red Hook?

rdsqrl

I received my guarantee cabin assignment and thus was able to access my boarding documents on the Personalizer. I see there a 3pm embarkation time, with a note not to come earlier or later (apparently, I'm to loiter amongst the containers at the port, only crossing the threshold of the terminal precisely at 3pm!). On Princess, such boarding times are "suggestions," disregarded by most and virtually never enforced. If I were to arrive at my usual time of 11-11.30, once the suites and high-level repeater passengers have boarded, would they still make me wait until 3pm or would they then begin boarding people who were in the terminal, regardless of status or assigned time? I don't have a problem waiting patiently in the terminal and reading my Kindle, if it's a matter of an hour or so; I wouldn't want to wait 3.5 or 4 hours, though!

I received my guarantee cabin assignment and thus was able to access my boarding documents on the Personalizer. I see there a 3pm embarkation time, with a note not to come earlier or later (apparently, I'm to loiter amongst the containers at the port, only crossing the threshold of the terminal precisely at 3pm!). On Princess, such boarding times are "suggestions," disregarded by most and virtually never enforced. If I were to arrive at my usual time of 11-11.30, once the suites and high-level repeater passengers have boarded, would they still make me wait until 3pm or would they then begin boarding people who were in the terminal, regardless of status or assigned time? I don't have a problem waiting patiently in the terminal and reading my Kindle, if it's a matter of an hour or so; I wouldn't want to wait 3.5 or 4 hours, though!

rdsqrl,

Please don't let this notification ruin the start of the cruise. The company is just attempting to balance the flow of passengers in the terminal to avoid NY Gridlock terminal style.

We too would like to arrive early but we know the bottleneck of early arrivals that we experience. And we are always notified to come 11 to 11:30 for a 12 Noon boarding when the ship is cleared for boarding due to our CWC status.

So we will get there whenever we can and start the cruise calm and collect. I know everyone want to start the cruise by getting aboard.

Do your best and work the Staff at the Pier and I think all will work out.

Although it is very unlikely that you will have to wait until 3pm to board, 11-11:30 might be a wee bit early to arrive. I've always taken the assigned boarding time as the time they will commit to being able to get you onboard, and I have always been onboard before the time. In fact, I can only remember one time that I even had to sit down after the initial checkin. As long as you are content and prepared to wait, arrive at whatever time makes you comfortable and I'm sure things will proceed efficiently.

- Andy

Although it is very unlikely that you will have to wait until 3pm to board, 11-11:30 might be a wee bit early to arrive. I've always taken the assigned boarding time as the time they will commit to being able to get you onboard, and I have always been onboard before the time. In fact, I can only remember one time that I even had to sit down after the initial checkin. As long as you are content and prepared to wait, arrive at whatever time makes you comfortable and I'm sure things will proceed efficiently.- Andy

BRAVO...Andy!

The staggered boarding times are there in the hope that 2600 people don't all show up at 11. In general the later you board the quicker you will go through the check in process.

Quite right. Many passenger seem to want to get on board as soon as possible, even if that means waiting in line with several hundreds of other passengers with the same anticipatory anxiety. Why? What possible difference can two hours make ? <Serious question.

Now I know this is an unpopular topic, but for security reasons, it is best if the Cruise Terminal is not mobbed with passengers who feel their assigned boarding time is just a formality, easily ignored.

The staggered boarding times are there in the hope that 2600 people don't all show up at 11. In general the later you board the quicker you will go through the check in process.

That would be my preferred answer as well.

While I appreciate the excitement of joining such an iconic ship everyone turning up at once turns into a moaners charter.

Quite right. Many passenger seem to want to get on board as soon as possible, even if that means waiting in line with several hundreds of other passengers with the same anticipatory anxiety. Why? What possible difference can two hours make ? <Serious question.

Now I know this is an unpopular topic, but for security reasons, it is best if the Cruise Terminal is not mobbed with passengers who feel their assigned boarding time is just a formality, easily ignored.

"Why? What possible difference can two hours make ?

Food, glorious food.

Ah, but I hear you all say....." it's available all afternoon"

:'):')

"Why? What possible difference can two hours make ?

Food, glorious food.

Ah, but I hear you all say....." it's available all afternoon"

:'):')

Well, you won't hear me saying that because it is not true to Britannia passengers.

Kings Court shuts down in preparation of the Safety Drill. My experience is that usually happens around 2pm (Redhook departures). Britannia Restaurant is off limits to newly boarding passengers, and the Golden Lion Pub may or not be open (usually not).

Room service in the afternoon in Red Hook is not available on turn around days (as are many other amenities).

My alternative suggestion for early arrivals is to drop your luggage off at the pier, and then have a nice lunch in one of the fine restaurants in Brooklyn Heights, where something to fit every budget and taste is available.

Or ask your cabbie where to find a really good sandwich to take on board :)

Happy sails,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I really like to arrange a late checkout, or store my bags at the hotel, have a relaxing late breakfast or lunch and arrive Red Hook about 1:00 or 1:30. No matter my assigned time, no line, no wait, and no fighting for food and space in the Kings Court.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Forums mobile app

I doubt if anybody boards at Red Hook as early as 11:00 or 11:30. We disembarked the QM2 today at 10:30 and there were still a number of late-leavers on board. Arriving early at Red Hook will almost guarantee a wait, maybe several hours, and it is not a pleasant place to hang out. I don't recommend it. I'd go with Salacia's recommendation and enjoy some good Brooklyn food and wait for the fabulous Kings' Chaos experience another day.