More on TSA and cameras

Two weeks ago we flew Newark to Venice with TSA PRE, no need to take anything out of my bags. Today Barcelona to Newark I had to take the laptop and ipad out of my computer bag but camera bag when through. It was flagged in xray and the screener asked to see what was in the hard eye glasses case that I had in a side pouch. Spare AA batteries for my flash. She laughed and said "gracias" and on I went. Camera bag had a 5D Mark III, 16-35 2.8, 24-105 4 and 70-200 2.8 and the TC 1.4. No problems with any of that.

Here's my TSA experience this week on a round trip flight from Orlando International (MCO) to Lexington, KY (LEX). I went thru TSA security with a Lowepro backpack containing a DSLR with lens, a four-pack battery holder with four batteries, and a tablet plus various charging devices and cables.

I'm TSA Pre-checked and never had to remove anything from the backpack. TSA agents asked if I was carrying a laptop and I replied no. After I said no I was worried the tablet might be considered a laptop, but the TSA screeners didn't say anything about it after screening. The only concern TSA had with me was if I could pass thru a metal detector without setting it off due to metal knee or hip replacements.

With TSA Pre Check there was no changes to the policy as it has been.

Keith

We were just in Hawaii for two weeks, with a few inter-island flights. We were chosen for "pre check" for all but one (flight from Honolulu to Kauai). From Kauai to Maui, we flew Hawaiian Air and had the pre check, but when I walked through metal detector I heard a "beep" and the TSA agent told me to stand behind another lady and she said "welcome to the naughty line". The TSA agent was very nice about it and assured us that it was nothing we did and we weren't flagged because we didn't have anything we were supposed to in our carry on or personal bags that went through the scanner and that it was totally random. When it was my turn to go and have my bags inspected, their main focus was electronics. I had a luggage scale, battery operated alarm clock, two cameras, and my cell phone. They swiped all of those items with the cloth that they use to detect explosives. It only took a few minutes and that agent was also very nice and kept complimenting on how neat and organized I kept my bags. He was also VERY careful with my belongings. It didn't really delay us, only took a few minutes. So, if you are flying and have pre check and hear a "beep" when you go through the metal detector, it means you got randomly selected for an electronics check, so no worries, just take your place in the naughty line.

EWR to Frankfurt - nothing out of bag, barely even looked at it (PreCheck)

Munich to EWR had to take the bodies out but not the lenses (Precheck flagged but doesn't really exist there).

BTW, they need to get the passport scanners they use in Germany for US entry.. Super fast.