Conquest-6 Night, How formal is formal?

ChuckinSC

You can dress as formal as you wish or more casual. You will see everything from full formal gowns and tuxedos down to more informal. You do not have to worry about being "over" dressed on formal night. ;)

For the "minimum" think pants. For a man you can go as casual as slacks/dockers and a nice button up or polo, and for women capris or cute summer skirts with cute top or nice summer dress is acceptable.

Our 1st time on Carnival (used to Princess). For a six night on the Carnival Conquest, how formal are formal nights? Do I need a suit, or what is acceptable? We don’t want to be overdressed..

There are no "formal" nights, just "elegant". My Hubby just wears a button down shirt, no jkt or tie. I wear slacks & a nice top. Been on many, many Carnivals. Some still dress up but not necessary.

Frankly, no one really cares what you wear, just no shorts etc.

We just got back from Magic, and I was surprised to see quite a few women in lovely long gowns. It was very nice. Also saw everything in the MDR. Even shorts, which I'm against, but just ignored. My husband always wears a suit, or a jacket and tie, with dress slacks. I like to wear something long. At home we don't go anywhere to dress up, so I enjoy it on a cruise. The ships take beautiful pictures. Wear what wish, you'll see it all.

Our 1st time on Carnival (used to Princess). For a six night on the Carnival Conquest, how formal are formal nights? Do I need a suit, or what is acceptable? We don’t want to be overdressed..

From Carnival website:

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Last week I wore my khaki pants and a golf shirt polo and was solid midpack. I had a button up shirt but did not have time to iron onboard so stepped it down a bit. There was no enforcement of any dress code in the MDR.

We just got back from Magic, and I was surprised to see quite a few women in lovely long gowns. It was very nice. Also saw everything in the MDR. Even shorts, which I'm against, but just ignored. My husband always wears a suit, or a jacket and tie, with dress slacks. I like to wear something long. At home we don't go anywhere to dress up, so I enjoy it on a cruise. The ships take beautiful pictures. Wear what wish, you'll see it all.

This is exactly us. DH wears a tux lst elegant night and suit and tie the 2nd. I dress up every single night!!! I wear my sparkly clothes and shiny (fake) jewelry and just love doing it! I'm not going to wear that stuff to the grocery store, so why not feel "GRAND" for a few days! Wear what you want: it is your vacation, but respect CCL's guidelines of no shorts, tank tops or t shirts. BON VOYAGE!

You'll see a lot of wife beaters and tattoos at formal nights on Carnval.

no you won't, and whoever said shorts were allowed, not on our Magic sailing. The Maitre'd was very diligent about not allowing shorts. We even heard one wife on line admonish her husband wearing shorts. When he was asked to change, she sternly said "I told you so"

You do not need a suit. Long pants and a shirt with a collar is pretty much the average. From there it will range from shorts to tuxedos, and some will be wearing funny suits or dressing up like Country and Western performers.

You do not need a suit. Long pants and a shirt with a collar is pretty much the average. From there it will range from shorts to tuxedos, and some will be wearing funny suits or dressing up like Country and Western performers.

Per above, for Elegant nights in the MDR almost all men just wear long pants and a shirt with a collar.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

I'll be on that cruise with you. I'll most likely have on khakis, button up shirt & tie. In the past I've been dressy enough to pass wife's inspection but comfortable and "in the middle of the pack" (if that's what you're looking for).

IF we go the second elegant night probably just khakis and collared shirt of some sort.

I wear my kilt with the Argyle jacket, ghillie brogues, sgian-dubh, flashes etc. Not full formal with a Bonnie Prince Charlie. Lots of fun.

LOL! another kilt yea! Hubby does his full formal with Prince Charles and all - when we pack it and he feels like it. ;) Only place he can wear it.

LOL! another kilt yea! Hubby does his full formal with Prince Charles and all - when we pack it and he feels like it. ;) Only place he can wear it.

Ha! I also dress it down sometimes. Kilt/boots/t-shirt. I had a great day walking around Key West like that, with some interesting pictures around the statues. Also did the Mixologist competition the same way. On the Sunshine a year or so ago, we did the Red Frog trivia with Samual Lemmons and won each night as I recall. Couple of nights were close and the tie breaker was chugging a pint of beer. Mine was a Guinness and I believe it was Elegant night so I had the full Kilt kit on. My wife caught it on her phone as a video, so a good memory there.