Dream in 44 days - Is the ship as big as it looks?

bobbismith

I have been studying the deck map and it looks like it will take along time to get anywhere. What are your experiences?

Thanks, Bobbi

The term "big" is relative, but yes, the Dream is a very large ship at 128 GWT (a way to compare ships "sizes", not just the length.) Newer ships are generally large (economies of scale), older ships are a smaller. For instance, the Carnival Pride is 88.5 GWT, quite a bit smaller. But there are ships much larger than the Dream; the NCL Escape is a whopping 165 GWT.

If you have sailed before on a cruise ship, look at its GWT on CruiseCritic's Ship Info page and compare that to the GWT of the Carnival Dream. That will help you get a feel for the Dream's size in comparison.

In my experience on about 25 cruises, I've never really noticed the time it takes to walk from one place to the other. I guess I have just had other things on my mind......usually breakfast....or lunch....or dinner.....;)

Doug

The term "big" is relative, but yes, the Dream is a very large ship at 128 GWT (a way to compare ships "sizes", not just the length.) Newer ships are generally large (economies of scale), older ships are a smaller. For instance, the Carnival Pride is 88.5 GWT, quite a bit smaller. But there are ships much larger than the Dream; the NCL Escape is a whopping 165 GWT.

If you have sailed before on a cruise ship, look at its GWT on CruiseCritic's Ship Info page and compare that to the GWT of the Carnival Dream. That will help you get a feel for the Dream's size in comparison.

In my experience on about 25 cruises, I've never really noticed the time it takes to walk from one place to the other. I guess I have just had other things on my mind......usually breakfast....or lunch....or dinner.....;)

Doug

The Dream Class is only 32 ft longer than the spirit class. The tonnage comes from a wider beam (width) and then being able to add decks as a result of the extra stability the beam provides.

So in terms of getting around, we found it no tougher to get around the Dream than the Pride and that makes sense because the differences in Length and Width and even height are pretty insignificant. When you’re waking it you are just adding steps based on these three dimensions. When you are computing tons displaced, you are multiplying these three dimensions.

So to answer OPs question, It’s not really any more difficult to get around Dream, than many ships of less tonnage. If you are really concerned about getting around, look for a cruise ship with a 600 ft length - there are not many of them left.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:D The Dream is big and it's a DREAM to sail on. We love the ship and wish it were still in Port Canaveral. Love this class ship and all its features. Don't let the size scare you it's easy to get around and has some really nice areas for relaxing and enjoying the water. Happy cruising.:cool:

The Dream and her sister ships (Magic and Breeze) are great ships and we love the Dream class...we do not feel like they are hard to navigate and typically acclimate within the first afternoon (but we have been on this class many times)....you will love it!!!!

I agree with those that say the Dream class is very easy to navigate. She has many features that smaller ships don't have, like the water park area. Dream class is our favorite so far. I found getting from one public area to the next very easy.

We were on the Dream Oct 1 - 8 sailing that skipped a port and cruised away from Hurricane Nate. As we roamed the Gulf of Mexico, we had 10 - 12' rollers hitting the ship sideways or diagonally. The Dream handled these pretty well, so the added length and width was definitely an asset over smaller sized ships like the old Fantasy size.

We had a balcony on Deck 7 towards the mid to aft section of the ship and our longest walk (including stairs) to the forward spa/gym area took maybe 5 minutes.