Best Tips for Newbie on Carnival Freedom?

chrismch

What can we do to make the most of our cruise? Like what's been to order from room service? What are the onboard activities not to be missed? Same for food - what's your favorite on the ship? Things we should bring other than clothes and money? Where are quiet spots on the ship?

Do I join both the CC meet and mingle and the Carnival FB one?

I've seen threads like that on other sections of this board but it must be buried on this one. I'm not new to cruising - just to Carnival

Edited by chrismch

mentioning another competing site for roll calls will get your thread pulled, warnings posted by mods all over the place.

mongolian wok always has a line and closes at 2 pm, so if you want to eat there, plan on a line. Guys is open until 6 pm, so its a lot easier to do if you arent in a hurry.

only cans of soda now allowed if you bring a few onboard, no bottles. too much trouble for the scanners to figure out if its really water in those bottles. Im not a big soda drinker, so 2 or 3 is all i bring in my carry on if at all.

Im on Freedom too, looking forward to it.

I get tired of crowds, so i avoid things like drawings for prizes, though i seen some get lucky.

Do your time dining so your dinner doesn't conflict with something you might want to do, like a sunset, a welcome aboard show, a sail away party, etc...

Do the rock the promenade, the music trivias, they are fun. Love and marriage is hilarious. Quiet spots are on serenity, deck 3 outside the dining room, deck 10 walking from front to back, and you will find others.

Freedom is a great ship, I've spent many days on her. Also, I know the check in process in galveston very well, if you have questions just ask!

Have fun!

Welcome Aboard Show....first night

Any of the Trivias done by CD Malcom WooHoo Burns... you'll laugh your self silly

Quiet spots...Serenity deck any time of day

Lunch at the BBQ place above the Lido buffets (go up stairs next to statue of Liberty)

Go to any of the Dance lessons... salsa, disco, etc...all fun and taught by the Playlist dancers

We love the Freedom. I have a review with tons of photos in my signature.

thanks for the location of the BBQ place. did you like it. I couldnt remember seeing it, i guess i didnt look above Lido deck.

i like the welcome aboard show, even its the same every time on every ship. It gives me a chance to view the CD who is new to me, and the dancers. I like seeing who the male dancers will be especially lol (I am female). and who the main singers will be.

the rest i dont care about, all the introductions. but i like a chance to see the CD and dancers. I always find a especially interesting male dancer to watch, though people always tell me the male dancers are probably gay and try and ruiin my fun. Im single, i can look right? I love the dancers. male and female. I think I was a dancer in another life.

i would have been looking for that BBQ place on 5th deck or someplace else for days, thanks for the location.

More questions...

Do the staterooms have conditioner and body lotion as part of their standard amenities?

Is there a mini-fridge as a standard feature in the rooms?

Do they have spa discounts on port days?

Do they have "cruise dollars" you can win playing trivia etc that can be turned in at the end of the cruise for logo gear?

No conditioner or body lotion. We had mini fridges both times on Freedom. Both interior cabins. I think trivia winners get a medal or trophy - no cruise dollars that I've seen, but I don't do all the trivia games, so some could be different. I think they do some spa discounts throughout the week, but we typically don't use the spa.

• 2 weeks later...
We've done our cruise documents and chose an 11:00-11:30 check-in. How long a wait should we expect in the terminal before we can get on the ship?

Hi

You shouldn't have a long wait to board after you finish the check in process. Boarding will likely be starting by that time. Please remember, typically you wouldn't be allowed into the building if you arrive before your 11 a.m. check in time (you can arrive anytime later). Your cabin however won't be ready for another couple of hours unless you have purchased FTTF. So you would have to mind your "carry on" belongings until then. If you aren't necessarily wanting to board early, arriving closer to 1 p.m. will avoid most of the early crowds, you will be able to board immediately and by then your cabin will ready. That's up to you.

They do supply soap/bodywash and shampoo, no conditioner. I prefer my own.

If you do enjoy the spa, go on embarkation day. They are doing tours, presentations, sales pitch etc...all day. They will also have a draw for spa prizes. You have to be there to win the prizes. They will also have price lists, and the promos. Be careful with the wording on their discounts.

There are always quiet places. Just find a lounge that's not open and you will have it all to yourself.

Room service is good. They now have pay and a free choices. Personally, if I want something, I just go and get it. Except overnight, it's rare that a food venue wouldn't be available.

have a great cruise

have a great cruise

• 6 months later...
Do your time dining so your dinner doesn't conflict with something you might want to do, like a sunset, a welcome aboard show, a sail away party, etc...

Do the rock the promenade, the music trivias, they are fun. Love and marriage is hilarious. Quiet spots are on serenity, deck 3 outside the dining room, deck 10 walking from front to back, and you will find others.

Freedom is a great ship, I've spent many days on her. Also, I know the check in process in galveston very well, if you have questions just ask!

Have fun!

can you tell me about parking at the Galveston port? I sail in January of 2019

Can someone help me know about excursions? On the days you're in port, how easy is it to just head to the beach without buying an excursion? I am traveling with my three kiddos...16, 15 and 13. Also, is the soda package worth it?

We've used Galveston Park n Cruise a couple of times - inside parking and across the street from the terminal. You do have to walk, though - no shuttle. We've also used Lighthouse Parking - they have a shuttle that will pick you & your luggage up at your vehicle & drop you off at the terminal. Same thing when you return.

Booking excursions in advance, through Carnival, or independently for me all depends on the specific port. In Cozumel, we always just grab a taxi & head for San Francisco Beach Club. There are several beach clubs along that strip of beach. Other ports, I usually book in advance. Go to the Ports of Call section on these boards & look up your ports for recommendations.

We used to get the soda package when our kids traveled with us, but we all drank a lot of soda in those days. Seems like we had to drink 6 per day to break even. Now, we just pay as we go, since we only drink one or two daily. Also, you can bring on a 12-pack of canned sodas per person to keep in your cabin. Just be aware that you have to carry them on - they can not go in checked luggage.