T-shirts in MDR???

riffatsea

We’re sailing on Oceania next year. From what I’ve read, Oceania is a luxury cruise line, and classier than Princess. They have no Formal Night dress code. They have no Formal Nights.

From the Oceania website:

“Country Club Casual

Feel at Home Away from Home

Isn’t it wonderful to feel welcome and comfortable when traveling? It makes the experience so much more enjoyable and encourages you to mingle with shipmates and to fully explore your ship and the exciting destinations visited. We have carefully selected the rich color and texture of every fabric, the vibrant glow of every sconce and the plush cushion of each settee, designing each detail so that our ships naturally exude a warm, inviting ambiance imbuing everyone on board with a sense of elegance and comfort. You are instantly put at ease, and it’s so refreshingly casual and friendly that it’s like being in your own private country club where everyone knows your name.

Come and Go as You Please

This is elegance without pretense nor the need for tuxedos and evening gowns. “

Good for you - makes more cabins available on Princess

If your husband no longer wears a Guayabera shirt on a cruise, what does he wear now to be seated in the MDR? Does he as well, wear it for Formal Night instead of a suit ot tuxedo?

I think saw President Obama wearing a long sleeved Guayabera shirt at an official state meeting or dinner with Phillipine President Duarte a few years ago.

LOL -those guayabera shirts were 30-40 lbs ago; they no longer fit. However, when he did wear them, he did wear ones suitable for semi-formal wear. He did not own any of the elaborate formal ones.

As he has gotten older, he feels cold in the MDR and other air conditioned areas of the ship. On formal night, he wears a black suit (a spiffy one he was requested by our daughter to buy for her wedding) with a dress shirt and tie. On cruise casual night, he will wear long dress pants with a collared shirt. They may be long sleeved or he has a collection of silk short sleeve shirts with patterns (subdued floral or other designs). The subdued colors and designs are because he is severly color blind and needs stuff that he know will go with brown, blue or black. He will bring a light weight jacket to wear if he becomes cold.

Edited by Homosassa

Walk into a "white tablecloth restaurant" like Mille Fleurs or Addison in San Diego wearing a printed tee shirt and notice how quickly you will NOT be seated.

Perhaps hubby could expand his shirt collection to include some classic Reyn Spooner Aloha shirts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

REALLY...... in checking their reviews "Mille Fleurs has a Business Casual dress code" and "the dress code at Addison is pretty informal. Yes, it’s a Five-Star restaurant and yes it’s located in the old-world, super-luxe Fairmont Grand Del Mar resort. But this is laid back and casual San Diego, so a jacket is preferred — but not required".....why all the fake dress code info on CC?????

IMHO, I’m afraid you are fighting an uphill battle on Princess Dress Code as it is. The demographics of cruisers is changing. Older cruisers are dying off, being replaced by younger cruisers accustomed to today's more casual lifestyle and manner of dress. That is seen even in today’s business world.

So, maybe not in your lifetime, but whether you like it or not, IMHO Princess will inevitably go to a more casual dress code, as other cruise lines. It’s a matter of Princess staying revalent, and revenue making for Princess as well.

I still sail on Princess, so don’t give my cabin up yet. ;). And, I keep an open mind on all things Princess. :) I observe the dress code whatever cruise line I’m sailing with. That includes Princess.

Good luck with your battle. Enjoy your next cruise however you or other PAXs decide to dress. :)

And God willing, may He grant you good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I’m afraid you can’t turn back time to the good old days of tthe Titanic or the 20’s-30’s. Times have changed. IMHO, the demographics of cruisers has changed. To younger PAX’s. The older cruisers are dying off. And cruise lines are adapting to todays casual lifestyle and dress.

FWIW, we’re sailing on Oceania next year. And, from what I’ve read, Oceania is a luxury cruise line, and classier than Princess. They have no Formal Night dress code. They have no Formal Nights. It’s Country Club Casual dress code. No suits, tuxedos, or long gowns required,

Good luck. And enjoy your cruise.

One of the many reasons we love Oceania. At one end of the spectrum- no "prom nights." At the other end- no wifebeater tee shirts and backwards turned baseball caps (with the tags left on).

Dinner conversations beyond "How 'bout them 'niners?"

No self-serve grimy-fingers-in-the-food buffets.

Just civilized, cosmopolitan folks who've worked hard for their money and want an experience with quality food, service and accommodations.

Interestingly, we've been on some Oceania cruises where the repeat customers topped 75%, many of who used to cruise on Princess, HAL and Celebrity until they did the math on "net daily rate" for all costs associated with their trip and figured out the relative bargain/value that is Oceania.

One of the many reasons we love Oceania. At one end of the spectrum- no "prom nights." At the other end- no wifebeater tee shirts and backwards turned baseball caps (with the tags left on).

Dinner conversations beyond "How 'bout them 'niners?"

No self-serve grimy-fingers-in-the-food buffets.

Just civilized, cosmopolitan folks who've worked hard for their money and want an experience with quality food, service and accommodations.

Interestingly, we've been on some Oceania cruises where the repeat customers topped 75%, many of who used to cruise on Princess, HAL and Celebrity until they did the math on "net daily rate" for all costs associated with their trip and figured out the relative bargain/value that is Oceania.

Re: Oceania. We’re looking forward to the cruise.

Just curious re: .niners? What’s that?

FWIW, IMHO, some of the rude responses to the OP’s simple question, would have me thinking twice about cruising Princess. Yes?

And, those people on here that constantly keep arguing the Princess Dress Code, and make it personal, what’s up with that? You can’t change their hardened position or minds anyway. Very sad. I wonder is it a reflection some of the kind of people who cruise Princess? :) Hope it isn’t so.

FWIW, its been my experience on Princess cruises, PAX’s don’t really care what other PAXs wear. I don’t, and it doesn’t affect my enjoyment of dining d experience, or my cruise.. :)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

This is what we don't need on CC - "trolls" and "street person" and "shopping cart" references.

But that is what you get as he tries to demean, degrade or insult others as he tries to convince others he is right and has the muthical backing of CEO Jan Swartz. Think it is working?

If your husband no longer wears a Guayabera shirt on a cruise, what does he wear now to be seated in the MDR? Does he as well, wear it for Formal Night instead of a suit ot tuxedo?

I think saw President Obama wearing a long sleeved Guayabera shirt at an official state meeting or dinner with Phillipine President Duarte a few years ago.

President Trump was wearing one at the official Philliphine state dinner just recently. Along with many others.

Another troll to add to my ignore list. Why are so many CC ers trying to push a downdress agenda for a classy cruiseline like Princess - if you want to dress like a street person go with Carnival. Not sure they will let you bring your shopping cart

At the rate you're adding posters you'll be talking to yourself.

Oh wait......you already are. LOL :D:D

Between this thread, the drone thread and the pat of butter thread I'm not sure which one is the worst!

Agreed, which one is worst? I've stopped reading about drones/butter pats week or so ago and now leaving this thread.

Most people here think they represent all on board IMO, here's the real story on that, let's say the Regal is completely full at about 3600 people, out of that there maybe 100-200 CC members, benefit of the doubt, the rest of the passengers may not even have a clue what Cruise Critic is and are enjoying their cruise to the fullest.

I was probably on my 7th cruise when I found out about CC and have to say it's cheap/funny entertainment when I'm bored. I do like adding my comments once in awhile but have to refrain from most I want to post because of such narrow mindlessness on this page........................keep posting so I can LMAO reading about the next absurd subject matter.

...................keep posting so I can LMAO reading about the next absurd subject matter.

Reading this thread and enjoying my popcorn without butter, in my not so freshly laundered Elite T-Shirt, thirsty because I have exceeded the daily limit, hit my head looking for some berries and nursing some bruises from the ATD line earlier today. (If only I were on board)

I have always thought it funny that the more absurd the thread the longer the life it has.

Agreed, which one is worst? I've stopped reading about drones/butter pats week or so ago and now leaving this thread.

Most people here think they represent all on board IMO, here's the real story on that, let's say the Regal is completely full at about 3600 people, out of that there maybe 100-200 CC members, benefit of the doubt, the rest of the passengers may not even have a clue what Cruise Critic is and are enjoying their cruise to the fullest.

I was probably on my 7th cruise when I found out about CC and have to say it's cheap/funny entertainment when I'm bored. I do like adding my comments once in awhile but have to refrain from most I want to post because of such narrow mindlessness on this page........................keep posting so I can LMAO reading about the next absurd subject matter.

Al its good for is entertainment - you will never get a straight answer for anything, just opinions, guesses, people pushing their private agenda, or people posting just to start a confrontation

I’m afraid you can’t turn back time to the good old days of tthe Titanic or the 20’s-30’s. Times have changed. IMHO, the demographics of cruisers has changed. To younger PAX’s. The older cruisers are dying off. And cruise lines are adapting to todays casual lifestyle and dress.

FWIW, we’re sailing on Oceania next year. And, from what I’ve read, Oceania is a luxury cruise line, and classier than Princess. They have no Formal Night dress code. They have no Formal Nights. It’s Country Club Casual dress code. No suits, tuxedos, or long gowns required,

Good luck. And enjoy your cruise.

We're trying Oceania this Jan. Even though they say "Country Club casual", we're still bringing a suit/sport coat & ties. We're mainly giving them a try, as we're both in the food industry.

IMHO, I’m afraid you are fighting an uphill battle on Princess Dress Code as it is. The demographics of cruisers is changing. Older cruisers are dying off, being replaced by younger cruisers accustomed to today's more casual lifestyle and manner of dress. That is seen even in today’s business world.

So, maybe not in your lifetime, but whether you like it or not, IMHO Princess will inevitably go to a more casual dress code, as other cruise lines. It’s a matter of Princess staying revalent, and revenue making for Princess as well.

I still sail on Princess, so don’t give my cabin up yet. ;). And, I keep an open mind on all things Princess. :) I observe the dress code whatever cruise line I’m sailing with. That includes Princess.

Good luck with your battle. Enjoy your next cruise however you or other PAXs decide to dress. :)

And God willing, may He grant you good health to live and not die before your next cruise.

Surprisingly, I've seen a lot of younger pax(generally 20's)really decking out. I'm sure some is to get noticed by the opposite sex(the old "Peacock" routine)Overall, despite what some say, the dress code is reasonably well followed. Less tuxes & gowns but still enough suits to give formal nights some pizzazz. You figure about 100+- "CC" people on board. We're really just a blip. Even all lines do listen to 100+ pax with concerns.

We're trying Oceania this Jan. Even though they say "Country Club casual", we're still bringing a suit/sport coat & ties. We're mainly giving them a try, as we're both in the food industry.

Lobster "fra diavola" in Toscana (proprio come la tua nonna siciliana).

Surprisingly, I've seen a lot of younger pax(generally 20's)really decking out. I'm sure some is to get noticed by the opposite sex(the old "Peacock" routine)Overall, despite what some say, the dress code is reasonably well followed. Less tuxes & gowns but still enough suits to give formal nights some pizzazz. You figure about 100+- "CC" people on board. We're really just a blip. Even all lines do listen to 100+ pax with concerns.

saw a younger guy in a sleeveless hoodie in the MDR.:cool:

Just wondering, did that bother you?

And, did it affect the enjoyment of your meal?

That lack of manners would certainly irk me but not as much as would the maitre d' not handling it. Part of the reason why I prefer the premium cruise segment is the decorum of, at least, most passengers.

not at all - I am a firm belieber that with anytime dining, I should be able to wear shorts, a golf shirt, and a visor in the mdr, until they (Princess) ups their game and starts treating the mdr as an MDR with QUALITY food and QUALITY service. As far as I am concerned, the mdr is a cattle call buffet with table service.

Al its good for is entertainment - you will never get a straight answer for anything, just opinions, guesses, people pushing their private agenda, or people posting just to start a confrontation

And you are very good at all of the above. Congratulations you get an A+ for meeting all of your observations.

That lack of manners would certainly irk me but not as much as would the maitre d' not handling it. Part of the reason why I prefer the premium cruise segment is the decorum of, at least, most passengers.

So, his manner of dress didn’t bother you, or affect the enjoy entertainment of your meal. But the fact, that the Maitre D’ did not handle it irked you.

We will be first timers on Oceania. So, are you saying on Oceania some PAX’s do not honor the decorum of Country Club Casual dress? But instead dress below it? Does the Oceania Matre D’ not allow PAX’s into the dining room for dinner if dressed below Country Club Casual?

Enjoy your cruise. We are sailing May 2018 on Oceania to Cuba. Looking forward to it.

not at all - I am a firm belieber that with anytime dining, I should be able to wear shorts, a golf shirt, and a visor in the mdr, until they (Princess) ups their game and starts treating the mdr as an MDR with QUALITY food and QUALITY service. As far as I am concerned, the mdr is a cattle call buffet with table service.

Just curious. To clarify your position, you don’t adhere to the Princess Dress Code because of bad quality, and bad service in the MDR.

Where then, do you usually dine for dinner? ATD in MDR, or HC, or in your cabin?

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

So, his manner of dress didn’t bother you, or affect the enjoy entertainment of your meal. But the fact, that the Maitre D’ did not handle it irked you.

We will be first timers on Oceania. So, are you saying on Oceania some PAX’s do not honor the decorum of Country Club Casual dress? But instead dress below it? Does the Oceania Matre D’ not allow PAX’s into the dining room for dinner if dressed below Country Club Casual?

Enjoy your cruise. We are sailing May 2018 on Oceania to Cuba. Looking forward to it.

If you think slovenly dress is OK for dinner, O is not the line for you. Yes, no ties and jackets ever required. But, it would be a rare occasion that you 'd see a man in a sleeveless shirt in the MDR. The passengers have more class than that and I have seen maitre d's sensitively talking to hat wearers at dinner - even in the Terrace Grill.