Euros

Jackplot

My husband and I will be taking a river cruise on Viking from Lyon to Avignon in two weeks. We are also doing the viking land extension of 2 nights in Paris and 2 nights in Dijon. Can someone suggest approximately how many euros to purchase before we leave? I know most is paid for, but I'm sure we will encounter something that we will need cash for. Thanks.

I would get a minimal amount prior to travel, and only if it makes you feel better. The best way to purchase Euro is to withdraw from an ATM upon arrival. I don't travel with Viking but I would assume that only breakfast is included in the hotels and you will still need to pay for lunch, meals, taxis, museum entry, etc. We spend 100-150 E per day, on average, and use our credit cards when practical to do so.

If you use an American Express card only, be prepared to carry cash. It is not widely accepted in Europe.

Which airport are you flying into?

You can bring US dollars. There will be various "Bureau de Change" offices at the airport and around Paris where you can change US dollars for Euros. It is a useful precaution if you ATM card is not accepted in the local machines. Hotels will give you a terrible exchange rate.

You can bring US dollars. There will be various "Bureau de Change" offices at the airport and around Paris where you can change US dollars for Euros. It is a useful precaution if you ATM card is not accepted in the local machines. Hotels will give you a terrible exchange rate.

You can do this but you will be leaving a lot of money on the table. I go to Europe 2-4x a year and have for years. We use the ATMs from major banks and have never had an issue. You can only withdraw from a checking account and I would ask your bank about affiliated banks as that will be the best value. I have never once had to resort to a cambio.

Be sure your credit cards have a 'chip'. They are now common in the US. 'Chipless' cards are pretty useless in Europe.

Preferably 'Chip & Pin' not 'Chip & Sign'.

Also understand that credit cards in general are not popular as a means of payment in countries like the Netherlands, as they prefer debit cards, supermarkets for example only accept debit cards (not that you are likely to need to shop there of course).

Preferably 'Chip & Pin' not 'Chip & Sign'.

Also understand that credit cards in general are not popular as a means of payment in countries like the Netherlands, as they prefer debit cards, supermarkets for example only accept debit cards (not that you are likely to need to shop there of course).

We were recently in Europe (not on a river cruise) and had no problem anywhere with our chip and sign card. As long as you aren't using an automated kiosk, you should be OK with MasterCard and Visa (no Discover or Amex).

My husband and I will be taking a river cruise on Viking from Lyon to Avignon in two weeks. We are also doing the viking land extension of 2 nights in Paris and 2 nights in Dijon. Can someone suggest approximately how many euros to purchase before we leave? I know most is paid for, but I'm sure we will encounter something that we will need cash for. Thanks.

Great cruise. Be sure to take the optional Pont du Garde tour of the Roman aqueduct. Gorgeous.

If you wish to enter the country (France) with Euros, get a few from your bank at home or use AAA for foreign currency.

Need more after arrival? Get Euros at a French ATM associated with a bank from your debit card. You won't need many. Problem being you need the time to do so. Often available on the "time to explore on your own" portion of your shore excursion.

You may wish to use Euros for onboard tips. Viking onboard desk will change Euros to smaller bills and coins onboard. The will not change $ to Euros. You will need Euros for tips for tour guides and bus drivers on Viking.

Most everywhere in France they accept credit cards like Mastercard, VISA, etc. Restaurants, gift shops, etc.

Notify your card company that you will be in France from dates X to Y.

We were recently in Europe (not on a river cruise) and had no problem anywhere with our chip and sign card. As long as you aren't using an automated kiosk, you should be OK with MasterCard and Visa (no Discover or Amex).

That has been our experience too. On rare occasion, there has been a terminal problem just like I experience from time to time at a small merchant here at home. We have even had success at unattended kiosks, but less frequently . . . but I tend towards using real humans. :)

We do not normally use a debit card, but we do have a 'pre-paid' one we only use for travel. It is not connected to our accounts but we can transfer funds to it from our 'real' accounts, and use it to get local currency from ATMs as needed. For 'charging' things we use one of our credit cards.

Seems to me that if you can transfer funds from one account to another, then they are connected.....

I assume it is 'not connected' as in no auto-transfer so if lost/compromised the risk is only the funds in that specific account.

Everything depends on whether you are bringing your credit card. For cash, I brought about $50/day for lunch and $100 for dinner then 20% for tips although at least in some northern countries, they don't expect a tip. Don't forget, you can arrange tours so you're back on board for all your meals. Then a couple dollars for tipping drivers and tour guides. Your itinerary will tell you how much. Then an extra $20/day for incidentals , but this is not really necessary.

Seems to me that if you can transfer funds from one account to another, then they are connected.....

No, it is a one way deal. We can transfer money into it, and that is the only money it can spend. There is no way for someone using the card to get access to our checking account, whereas 'regular' debit cards are a pipeline into the underlying checking account.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics, but the effect is like establishing a separate checking account for the card, which you fund with whatever you want, but only the amount you fund would be potentially at risk. Not your 'real' accounts.

We found out the hard way that the transit machines in Amsterdam only accepts debit cards. We were able to buy the transit card for cash at a supermarket but could not add any fare credit to it. Luckily a friendly local helped us out by using her debit card to add fare and we gave her the cash (and a tip). Always carry walking around money, IMO at least 50-100 Euros. BTW we just happened to be on the ONE transit line where the conductor did not sell transit cards on the tram.

• 1 month later...
We do not normally use a debit card, but we do have a 'pre-paid' one we only use for travel. It is not connected to our accounts but we can transfer funds to it from our 'real' accounts, and use it to get local currency from ATMs as needed. For 'charging' things we use one of our credit cards.

I am confused. If I purchase a prepaid debit card in US funds, is it automatically converted to funds in the country I am visiting?

I haven't used a debit card in over 20 years and find them dangerous if they are lost compared to credit card.

We are visiting Germany, Switzerland, and Amsterdam.

My debit card requires a PIN. I use it in ATMs all over Europe. I've set a maximum daily withdrawal of $300. Don't use a Bureau de Change-you will not get a good exchange rate. I have a credit card for larger purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree about pulling cash from an ATM once you've arrived. You'll get a better exchange rate, and you can closer estimate your cash needs. My husband always orders a little from the bank "just in case", but I think he's silly. Otherwise, we just use the ATM and pull cash once or twice a week.

One thing to note is that while I've never had a problem with my chip and sign cards (other than the fact that no one ever has a pen at the register), make sure you know your credit card PIN if you plan to use it.