Rent a car or take taxi?

RyanGT04

I have already rented a Jeep for the day for $100 but now I am wondering if it would just be better to take taxis, or any other public transportation, around instead. It would just be for 2 people. Still not 100% but we would probably just be going to Orient then Marigot and back to the port. Would have liked to do Maho as well but I think that is pushing it with time since we are there from 9-6 and would probably spend a decent amount of time at Orient. What would be best, keep the jeep rental or take taxi? Weighing cost, convenience, and time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

A couple points first:

Add in the cost of gas, which even for your limited trip could run $15.

You don't really need a jeep. A smaller regular rental should be considerably cheaper.

It appears that each taxi leg of your trip would run a max of $20 for the two of you. Less if you had a shared taxi, down to maybe $14 each leg. Plus tip, if any.

I guess that you could save a few bucks and experience an island adventure by taking the $2 bus from Marigot back to Philipsburg. Then get back to the Cruise Facility on your own.

All that said, let me quote from something I posted here some years ago:

I would point out that it is more relaxing sitting back watching the scenery go by with a nice cold one in your hand, taking pictures, than it might be with the driver and navigator 'discussing' the turn that they missed because someone misread the map. Letting someone else be responsible for getting you back to the ship has to be a good feeling.

gary

I have already rented a Jeep for the day for $100 but now I am wondering if it would just be better to take taxis, or any other public transportation, around instead. It would just be for 2 people. Still not 100% but we would probably just be going to Orient then Marigot and back to the port. Would have liked to do Maho as well but I think that is pushing it with time since we are there from 9-6 and would probably spend a decent amount of time at Orient. What would be best, keep the jeep rental or take taxi? Weighing cost, convenience, and time.

Just something to keep in mind. Many stores close for a couple of hours in the early afternoon in Marigot. The restaurants are open though.😊

Just something to keep in mind. Many stores close for a couple of hours in the early afternoon in Marigot. The restaurants are open though.😊

I think we will be mostly looking for a restaurant in Marigot and doing more of our shopping back in Philipsburg so that should work out. I would do Marigot first but then if we did end up getting anything I'd have to worry about leaving it on the beach. We aren't big shoppers and won't be looking for jewelry, probably just liquor and souvenirs, would there be any benefit to shopping in Marigot over Philipsburg?

St Martin is really easy to drive around. I would not rent the jeep. Get something smaller. I rented last October and loved the freedom of zipping around and doing my own thing. We went to orient first then drove around to mullet bay, parked there. Stayed on beach and swam a bit and ate. Walked over to maho and grabbed a drink and appetizers at sunset and watched a couple of big guys fly in. Then walked back to mullet and drove back to drop off rental car and walked around shops until time to board. Very easy and fun. I've been to st Martin 4 times now and it was the first time I went to orient and to maho to see planes believe it or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app