Cab fare quote to Anse Marcel seems high? / Private Boat Charter (CaptainJo)

tasmith09

Group of 8 of us are considering chartering a private boat for a half day snorkel/beach trip. Considering CaptainJo Boat Charter. The reviews are great and the price seems fair. My concern is the cab fare he offered to get to Anse Marcel seems high at $25 round trip/person. So $200 total for the private taxi both ways. Is this fair? Would we be better off to grab a cab when we get there versus booking ahead? Is there a better option? Lastly, does anyone have experience with any private boat charters, including CaptainJo? We are looking for a laid back, non-party atmosphere to snorkel and swim in non-crowded areas.

The $25 pp taxi fare seems about right to me.

It's a long ride to an out-of-the-way place, unlikely to have anyone wanting a ride out at the time you show up, thus two one-way trips for the driver.

But their website appears to offer options for pickup. Either Grand Case or Marigot would be a cheaper taxi ride.

gary

$12.50 pp each way to Anse Marcel is a good price too me. I would be ok with paying this.

Did you consider a boat leaving from Dock Maarten? It's less than a 10 minute walk. Also there is a $2 pp each way bus to The Simpson Bay Area where some boats leave from but the walk would be about 15 minutes to get to the bus stop in town.

Thanks for the replies :) will look into options closer to port to see about saving the taxi ride. If anyone has any recommendations for good family friendly (small children) charters, please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did an excursion with Captain Sam. You can walk to his pier from the cruiseships. They do private charters as well. Awesome boat and great crew. We loved it. http://www.sxmboatcharter.com/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Thanks, I'll look into this! Do you know if his boats offer shade or if they will work for a laid back ride with young children?

There is a small shade canopy on the boat. Our kids were 4 and 6 and did not enjoy snorkeling yet but they still had fun. There were lots of stops including an island where they swam and played on the beach and saw iguanas. Then a beach on the French side for lunch. And more. We ended at Maho to watch a 747 land at the airport. Email Sam and tell him what you want to do and ask if a private charter is available. Otherwise we were 6 and there were 4 others with us I think.

There is a small shade canopy on the boat. Our kids were 4 and 6 and did not enjoy snorkeling yet but they still had fun. There were lots of stops including an island where they swam and played on the beach and saw iguanas. Then a beach on the French side for lunch. And more. We ended at Maho to watch a 747 land at the airport. Email Sam and tell him what you want to do and ask if a private charter is available. Otherwise we were 6 and there were 4 others with us I think.

Thanks for the feedback!