quiet calm beach in Kona?

3red7s

We are looking to take a cab to a nice sandy, quiet, beach. When I say quiet, I mean, calm waves, perhaps protected by a cove. We are going in December and I am concerned about the rough waters. Also, would like a sand beach and not lava rock.

Any recommendations?

If you are going to in Kona from a cruise ship, there is a nice little beach next the pier where the tender drops you off at. On one side is a protected beach area that doesb't get much wave action. You can enjoy the beach, rent gear, there's also a shower and restrooms. There's also an ABC store near so you can get refreshments.

It should be what you are looking for. And easy to get to, no cab involved.

• 11 months later...

The beach being talked about is right at the pier - maybe 100 feet! It's OK if all you want to do is get wet and soak up some sun, but it's truly tiny and can get very crowded. Unfortunately, it's probably the only option for 'calm water' in December. There is the county park, Kaalu'u Beach about 4 miles south of the pier with great snorkeling and turtle-watching - you could take a cab or Uber or even ride the little local trolley. It's somewhat protected by a reef, but in winter even it can be rough - all depends on sea conditions. The beach there is a combination of lava rock and coarse sand. The best sandy beaches are farther north and more unprotected, which means rougher water especially in winter.

If you want a nice beach with warm water and no hard surf action, Kona Beach next to the peir is a great beach and so easily accessible. We stayed in Kona for a couple of weeks and though we drove to many wonderful beaches, this is where we spent most of our beach time. We never felt it was too crowded but you won't be alone either.

There really is no need to go any further unless you want to body surf. They have SUP, kayak, snorkel gear etc available to rent right there. There are showers and a restroom handy and you're right across the street from Ali'i Drive where you can stroll along the shops by the sea.(y)

050123a_hb_a_011.jpg

We go to Kona most every winter and our favourite beach is Kahulu’u for our favourite snorkelling! We prefer it to Snorkelling on Belize, Cozumel, Bonaire, Roatan.

Sadly, it is often extremely crowded on cruise day and

it is lava rock. It does have washrooms, life guards and picnic tables.

If you want a really protected cove with nice sand there is a lovely beach on the north side of the main harbour, with lots of turtles. It is within another national historic park. But it is very shallow. And no facilities.

The best sandy beaches are worth renting a car and driving north to A bay, Wailea, Hapuna or Mauna Kea. The conditions depend on the day, swells etc. It can be very calm and change later.

Truly I would rent a car for the day, drive north to some nice beaches or south to the city of refuge National Park.