Islands suggestions (by rental car) for low mobility visitors

INDIANA JOE

Get a guidebook...find out about the areas you'll visit....then you can determine what interests you within your comfort zone. Not all "points of interest" will interest everyone! Few things require long hikes....especially, if you have a vehicle! But DO read up on Hawaii! The more you know, the better time you'll have! Libraries have guidebooks in the reference section.

Get a guidebook...find out about the areas you'll visit....then you can determine what interests you within your comfort zone. Not all "points of interest" will interest everyone! Few things require long hikes....especially, if you have a vehicle! But DO read up on Hawaii! The more you know, the better time you'll have! Libraries have guidebooks in the reference section.

Thanks CB. Have travel planners from GoHawaii already and am watching for other info on the internet. About ready to drive the wife nuts now with planning. But planners don't always say how far something is from where you park the car, lol.

But planners don't always say how far something is from where you park the car, lol.

Perhaps those who visit often or live here can help you with this. Just list places you have in mind and what your worries are and see what is suggested from people who have "been there and done that" often enough to be aware of potential problems you might not see with just one visit. We can sympathize, as our daughter is physically disabled, and we have found not every place on Maui, for instance, is as accessible as portrayed. Then, too, some can be better than you expect.

Sweethearts, thanks for that suggestion. We are "distance challenged" in regards to my original question. Don't want to use all of our time in Port to get somewhere and find a 1/2 mile or more hike to see it. The more we can see from a car, the better. Will do more researching and post more questions later

Some suggestions by island (I too have mobility difficulties)

Oahu: Pearl Harbour:

Arizona Memorial

MAYBE Battleship Missouri - lots of stairs -(I managed it by pacing myself and sitting down a lot )

Driving around the East Coast and North Shore - some lovely scenery

Tanatalus Viewpoint - short walk from the car park to the view

Iolani Palace - there is an elevator

Bishop Museum

Maui:

Drive up Haleakala - NOT to be missed! You don't need to go at sunrise or sunset. Stop at the visitor center (about half way up). Side trails on the way up will likely be too challenging. Views at the top are easily accessible and spectacular.

Big Island (Hawaii):

Drive up to the Volcano (another NOT to be missed and easy to do) . Stop at the Museum/Visitor center.

Kauai:

Waimea Canyon Drive - most lookouts are pretty accessible. Be sure to drive as far as Kalalau Lookout - spectacular views

Maybe drive to North shore. I am not sure how accessible the lighthouse is (just can't remember) but I think it is and anyway the drive is lovely

Maui: Drive up Haleakala - NOT to be missed! You don't need to go at sunrise or sunset. Stop at the visitor center (about half way up). Side trails on the way up will likely be too challenging. Views at the top are easily accessible and spectacular.

Just be aware of the altitude and the temperature changes.

Just be aware of the altitude and the temperature changes.

This is the reason why I suggest stopping at the Visitor Center (approx. Half way up point) It helps you to get used to the altitude. I have asthma and heart problems - yet no issues here thanks to using common sense - walk slowly at the summit and rest frequently. Bring water - dehydration makes altitude problems worse. Unless you actually get sick - this drive is so worth it. We saw one couple where the wife got sick - they had rushed right to the summit without stopping.

This is the reason why I suggest stopping at the Visitor Center (approx. Half way up point) It helps you to get used to the altitude. I have asthma and heart problems - yet no issues here thanks to using common sense - walk slowly at the summit and rest frequently. Bring water - dehydration makes altitude problems worse. Unless you actually get sick - this drive is so worth it. We saw one couple where the wife got sick - they had rushed right to the summit without stopping.

Zeno, thanks a bunch for the great list. I use a cane for balance issues and my wife has problems with one of her knees therefore greatly appreciate suggestions from others who have been to the islands and don't get around like we did in our younger days.:)

On Oahu, the beach lagoons at Ko Olina are very close to the public parking, which is limited. Ko Olina is a resort area at the west end of the island (take the H1 freeway west to the end and keep going on the highway another 1.5 miles to the Ko Olina exit.) It is where the Four Seasons, Disney Aulani and Marriott Beach Resort are located. Paradise Cove, a shopping center, a golf course and a marina are also there. The public parking for lagoon 4, past the Marriott is the largest public lot, and there is also a paid lot next to it and the marina. It is also one of the closest parking lots to the beach, 100 ft. or less, and a flat walk. The walkways are paved and wide so you should't have any problem. Snacks are available in the marina store. There are nicely maintained public rest rooms.