Packing Cubes question for those who DON'T Pack light

SuitCaseBears

Hi everyone

I adore the look of those packing cubes. But I wonder if they are worth it for us.

We are NOT light packers. We carry multiple suitcases and if need be we will take another one, so getting as much into a small space as possible isn't that big a concern.

AND I am a "unpack everything when we arrive" person. I don't like living out of a suitcase.

So I'm not sure what use, other than being cute, the packing cubes would have. But I'd love an excuse to buy some. Does anyone have any ideas as to why they might be useful in our situation?

I like them because I put underwear in one, socks in another, tops, pants etc. so when I unpack I just take them out and put them on a shelf and I am unpacked. When is time to pack up, I tend to put souvenirs etc. in them to keep them separate, and if there is self serve laundry, put clean back in cubes and then unpacking is easy at home.

Hope this helps!

Personally, I use clear plastic zipper bags that sheet sets and such come in, for something that doesn't compress, like bathroom items, and clear plastic compression bags for clothing. As a previous poster said, I put underwear in one, jersey tops in one, etc., and when they go on the shelf I'm unpacked and know where things are. I use the dollar store ones that you fill, zip (like a sandwich bag), then sit on to press out the air -- not the ones that require a vacuum cleaner or other gadget. They are usually in the section that has hangers, laundry bags, etc. -- not to be confused with lunch bags! Things stay wrinkle-free, and you can get more in a suitcase. And being see-through, I know right away what I have.

The caution is if you need to stick with a weight limit. Using any device to allow you to pack more' date=' and possibly going over. And you have to include the extra weight for the cubes too.[/quote']

Good point. When I roll my clothes I can pack more in the suitcase and my big bag tends to go over 50 pounds.

I use plastic bags for all of our electronics, and meds (one bag reads "bad tummy" another "Colds and Allergies" etc.) gadgets and gizmos. But I've not for my clothes. I may do that if they keep things less wrinkled. But the cubes are so CUTE.

If someone goes through your suitcase after you check it with the porter (or on a flight) they tend not to open clear bags. Therefore no one is pawing through your underwear and other clothes. Everything stands a better chance of getting back in your suitcase after the "search".

I use baggies for most stuff. They lift the baggies out, look at them and put them back. I'm choose not to spend dollars on the cubes.

Started doing this in the 80s when searching luggage prior to check in at many foreign airports was the norm. Now it is a habit.

I found some great, light weight cubes at TJ Maxx for about $10. Decided to try them at that price. I really liked the way everything stayed organized and the cubes are see through so no TSA hassle. It is amazing how much fits in one cube. Just check your bag weight. They are more for organization than fitting more than you need.

I received a set of packing cubes for my birthday last year. Like the OP, I had looked at them, really liked them but not sure if I really could/would use them.

It turned out they were useful. I used two for undies and kept all my electronics in the third.

I've read on here that some people get sets in different colors for different family members and that makes it easy keeping things straight.

good for separating clothes for pre-cruise section so there is no need to rummage through every thing . Also we cross pack in our 2 suitcases, so it mesns we can keep individual cubes for our clothes, which makes unpacking easier.

love my cubes and folders

sandy in spain

Like Sandy in Spain, I find them useful when we are going to more than one destination. I can pack "outfits" per cube, complete with all the things I'll need for that destination (underwear to jewelry/accessories) without disturbing the things I'll need for another stop. I find this especially useful if there are more than one climates to consider. After the cruise or other long stay, when I'm packing to come home, I'll sort it out by dirty and clean, whites/darks, etc. The bags go into the wash too! (Zipped up, but not in dryer)

I like packing cubes.

They make cross packing a little easier (for me at least).

He puts one of his packing cubes in my checked luggage (contains at least one complete outfit) and I put a packing cube in his checked bag. That way, if one suitcase goes astray, we each have something extra to wear.

I think packing cubes are a bit like over-the-door hangers. Some of us just can't imagine why everyone doesn't use them, others see no benefit.

I love mine and use my own color coding - when im looking for electronics they are in the light blue one; my meds, toiletries, and other grooming small items are all in the green one. underwear and socks in the dark blue one. - the colors help me find the right stuff and keep drawers organized.

I think packing cubes are a bit like over-the-door hangers. Some of us just can't imagine why everyone doesn't use them, others see no benefit.

I love mine and use my own color coding - when im looking for electronics they are in the light blue one; my meds, toiletries, and other grooming small items are all in the green one. underwear and socks in the dark blue one. - the colors help me find the right stuff and keep drawers organized.

See this is a justification I can ... well justify. I love to color code, and my husband has that genetic issue that some men have where they can look right at a cabinet or refrigerator or shelf and not find anything. But I bet if I said "look for the dark blue cube, he could find that.

I think a feel an addiction brewing.

good for separating clothes for pre-cruise section so there is no need to rummage through every thing . Also we cross pack in our 2 suitcases, so it mesns we can keep individual cubes for our clothes, which makes unpacking easier.

love my cubes and folders

sandy in spain

Cross-packing, this is something I always think about in advance and rarely do. An other good justification.

Like Sandy in Spain, I find them useful when we are going to more than one destination. I can pack "outfits" per cube, complete with all the things I'll need for that destination (underwear to jewelry/accessories) without disturbing the things I'll need for another stop. I find this especially useful if there are more than one climates to consider. After the cruise or other long stay, when I'm packing to come home, I'll sort it out by dirty and clean, whites/darks, etc. The bags go into the wash too! (Zipped up, but not in dryer)

I did think this would be great for multiple destinations. But for various reasons our multiple destination trips seems to be diminishing. But I will remember if that changes, And I like the idea of sorting the laundry going home.

I am a huge supporter of the Cubes, and more so of the "Folders".

I've been using them for almost 10 years now. I bought some right after a business trip....

I was waiting for my suitcase to come down the luggage carousel, when to my horror I see a suitcase half open on it, clothes fling out of it and people staring and chuckling to themselves.

The horror part was realizing it was my stuff all over the belt.

So now, all my shirts are neatly folded and wrinkle free in folders, 'unders' in one cube, socks in another, bathing suits, shorts shoes - all in cubes. So now if my suitcase were to be opened or "explode" :eek: all that are seen are cubes and folders.

We have some Heys and also some Eagle Creek. Eagle Creek is the best, but Heys are cheaper.

My DW is slowly coming around to using this system.

And about the weight question- the folders and cubes weigh next to nothing.

You still need to invest in a small hand-held luggage scale and weight your bags before you leave the house (or ship)

Hope this info helps. :)

Edited by erin_cruisers

I love my packing cubes (ebags). I travel once or twice a month for work and pack uniforms in one; socks/undies in another; workout clothes/comfy clothes in another.

For cruises I pack dressy stuff in one; casual clothes in another; etc. I sometimes toss a small one in my carry on to organize small stuff in my tote (headphones, gum, snacks, etc)

I like them especially for when TSA goes through my checked bag (pretty much every time I travel). Stuff stays together and not rifled through.

I am also a huge fan of the packng cubes (ebags). I leave garments in them that need to be in a drawer - cannot stand the thought of putting my clothes in a hotel drawer. Mine have a mesh top so they are seethrough and breathable.

What I have found is that I do not "overpack" any longer because everything I want to take fits without expanding my suitcase. The bonus is - if by chance I am overweight - I just pull out a whole cube and add to hubby's as he is never overweight!

Buy them when ebags has their friends and family sale and you can get sets for the price of one.

Carmen

I love our Ebags cubes. The top is mesh which makes them breathable and also allows inspectors to see inside without touching your stuff. They come in lots of fun colors and hold up really well. I first bought sm/md/lg sets but then went on to get the slim ones as well. The slim ones are especially useful. We have been using them for quite a while and no problems. They are lightweight so don't add anything to your total weight. I have used them when I packed heavy and also when I've packed light. I agree with the poster who mentioned setting cubes into drawers instead of emptying them into the drawers. They are also nice for packing outfits into when your trip takes you to different destinations. I pack one for the pre-cruise hotel night and then leave the rest in the car. Grab the cube and your toiletry bag and you are good to go. We also love our ebags brand flat toiletry kit.

Ebags has sales all the time. Right now the cubes are on sale and you get free shipping over $49. They credit you back 5% on your purchases towards a future purchase which really works out nicely when you shop sales and free shipping too. I go to Ebags through Ebates which gives you cash back on your purchases ( no gimmicks). Currently they are giving 12% back on Ebags purchases :D They send my accumulated rebates to my paypal account quarterly. Its pretty fun LOL

Anytime I shop online, I sign into Ebates and search the store I am wanting to shop at. It connects me over and voila.

I really appreciate the responses.

I do think that if we were still doing multi-destination trips (I don't consider 1 cruise to a few ports in the same area multi-destination) I would definitely invest in some cubes to organize the different clothes. A few years back we did NJ in the winter and the Caribbean and it would have been great to have our sweaters and warm stuff in separate cubes which we didn't even open during the cruise.

And I can see if we didn't unpack everything - again it would make sense. But I'm happy unpacking everything (well we leave the rain gear in our suitcase unless needed.

So as of last night I was thinking that for this upcoming cruise... I can't quite justify the cost and I'll stick with my zip lock bags.

BUT I am also intrigued by the possibilities that maybe I haven't thought of. So I'm going to add up the cost of buying a big enough assortment to allow me some flexibility without going too crazy. Because generally I know myself, and if I keep looking at something I know I'll eventually get it - and I might as well order it in time to have it for this cruise... if I'm not too late already.

ACK... I need to check potential delivery dates.

I winded up buying 2 sets of 3 packing cubes (large, medium and small) from Marshall's last weekend and my goodness, what a difference! [emoji50] My duffel bag has even more room - I stuffed all 14 dresses in a 1st large one and both my sweaters in 2nd one. Then 2 bathing suits in the small one and beach bag, waterproof bag & plastic bags in the 2nd small one. Finally, undies in the 1st medium and all my toiletries (which are not traveling size) in the 2nd one. Didn't make my bags lighter but definitely have more room to put more stuff in, especially bottle water and more shoes.[emoji16]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk