Which line to choose?

islandchick

I don't understand why people keep trying to get posters to try "their" cruiseline. If someone says that Crystal doesn't seem to fit their needs, why do people keep insisting that the poster doesn't understand the true dress code (or whatever). There are so many cruiselines with seemingly overlapping appeals, I'm sure that any of the proffered lines would suit very well.

I don't understand why people keep trying to get posters to try "their" cruiseline. If someone says that Crystal doesn't seem to fit their needs, why do people keep insisting that the poster doesn't understand the true dress code (or whatever). There are so many cruiselines with seemingly overlapping appeals, I'm sure that any of the proffered lines would suit very well.

If someone is basing their decisions on erroneous information (such as about the dress code, entertainment, or cabin sizes), then I see nothing wrong with trying to give them the correct information. After that, I don't care what line they choose.

I know it's off topic, but I hate the idea that someone would dare tell someone else how they could be comfortable in which clothing. Just because person A can be comfortable wearing X, Y, or Z, it does not follow that person B or C should also be able to be comfortable in those clothes. And, if they're not, they're lying to themselves or they don't know what "comfortable" means.

And that doesn't even get in to the idea that somehow if someone can afford a luxury cruise then they can afford custom tailored clothes to make them comfortable. Because not everyone fits or looks good in stylish off the rack clothes.

OK, off my soapbox now.

I think you misunderstood. What I was complaining about is the fact that so many men have been convinced that dressing up is somehow a burden and that the only alternative is to be dressed like a prole.

I hate the idea that someone dares to think that someone else should dare to think. :)

I think you misunderstood. What I was complaining about is the fact that so many men have been convinced that dressing up is somehow a burden and that the only alternative is to be dressed like a prole.

I hate the idea that someone dares to think that someone else should dare to think. :)

Maybe it is a burden. How would you know? How would I know?

All I can say is to quote Bob Dylan, “the times they are a changing.”

Most people just don’t dress up for anything any more - not church, not restaurants, not weddings and not cruises. Maybe opening night at the opera in NYC, but around here, that’s about it. Dressed up seems to stop at long pants and a collared shirt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A few days ago I listened to an interview with a Funeral Director who said that there was not only a growing number of people not wearing black to a funeral service but also there was a growing number taking a selfie with the coffin.

A few days ago I listened to an interview with a Funeral Director who said that there was not only a growing number of people not wearing black to a funeral service but also there was a growing number taking a selfie with the coffin.

Do people smile for the selfie with the coffin? I saw some tourist from Japan smiling for a selfie in front of a Holocaust memorial, and others in front of a DDay memorial to those who died in battle, suggesting they did not quite understand the purpose of the place.

I think many people just think they need to get a picture of themselves wherever they go for Facebook, and also must smile to look happy and show teeth, regardless of location.

One would think that physical discomfort was an indication of an inadequate fit.:)

DH, who has suits well-fitted, mostly complains that in warm weather or a warm dining room, a jacket is hot, even if made with summer cloth, so he takes the jacket off in MDR as soon as he sits down to avoid sweating. Women can get away with more on formal nights and stay cool (bare arms).

Oddly he has no problem with nice ties on a long-sleeved shirt.

Calliopecruiser, and Toryhere, many men have declared on forums and in person that dressing up is indeed a burden, so that is how we “know” what they think. Most did not need convincing by others. For many it is indeed less ‘burdensome’ to toss on some unsupported shorts and an old T and flipflops and be done with it, and maybe even skip the burdensome shower, like lounging at home on a Saturday morning before you go out and trim the weeds.

Toryhere, you object to people dressing like “proles”. But beyond comfort issues, which I know can be real for many, note that there is a trend the last few decades towards “camouflage elites” , e.g., where people who are very well off and privileged show how cool and egalitarian they are by dressing like a man who works a blue collar job. This is why pre-torn and pre-faded spotted but expensive jeans are still stylish.

DH, who has suits well-fitted, mostly complains that in warm weather or a warm dining room, a jacket is hot, even if made with summer cloth, so he takes the jacket off in MDR as soon as he sits down to avoid sweating. Women can get away with more on formal nights and stay cool (bare arms).

Oddly he has no problem with nice ties on a long-sleeved shirt.

Calliopecruiser, and Toryhere, many men have declared on forums and in person that dressing up is indeed a burden, so that is how we “know” what they think. Most did not need convincing by others. For many it is indeed less ‘burdensome’ to toss on some unsupported shorts and an old T and flipflops and be done with it, and maybe even skip the burdensome shower, like lounging at home on a Saturday morning before you go out and trim the weeds.

Toryhere, you object to people dressing like “proles”. But beyond comfort issues, which I know can be real for many, note that there is a trend the last few decades towards “camouflage elites” , e.g., where people who are very well off and privileged show how cool and egalitarian they are by dressing like a man who works a blue collar job. This is why pre-torn and pre-faded spotted but expensive jeans are still stylish.

I think the short version of what you posted is some people are slobs and don't care what others think! :eek::rolleyes::o

In Travels with Charley, Steinbeck has a line where a worker of his says he can't go into town for supplies wearing his beat-up paint clothes. Steinbeck replies that he would have no problem going for the supplies dressed like that. His worker replies: You have to be mighty rich to dress so mighty poor. (or something to that effect.)

• Like 1

I don't understand why people keep trying to get posters to try "their" cruiseline. If someone says that Crystal doesn't seem to fit their needs, why do people keep insisting that the poster doesn't understand the true dress code (or whatever). There are so many cruise lines with seemingly overlapping appeals, I'm sure that any of the proffered lines would suit very well.

Because many here on these boards regard their favorite cruise lines just like their grandchildren....any criticism is a stab to the heart!

I think the short version of what you posted is some people are slobs and don't care what others think! :eek::rolleyes::o

This doesn't make any sense. You can NOT care what others think and not be a slob. I can see someone dressed according to the dress code yet find the outfit horrible and objectionable. Do they care what I think? I hope not!

This doesn't make any sense. You can NOT care what others think and not be a slob. I can see someone dressed according to the dress code yet find the outfit horrible and objectionable. Do they care what I think? I hope not!

It doesn't make sense to you, it does to me. So be it.

One would think that physical discomfort was an indication of an inadequate fit.:)

Well, an "adequate fit" is determined by fashion, so while it may be fashionable to wear X, someone wearing that (with a proper fit) could still find it uncomfortable because they decide it's too constricting or too loose, too hot or too cold, or simply pinches them where fashion says there shouldn't be anything to pinch.

As someone with an unfashionably sized and shaped body, finding clothing that fits properly is not easy or cheap. I just spent $100 getting 2 pairs of shorts altered they would fit me properly.

Well, an "adequate fit" is determined by fashion, so while it may be fashionable to wear X, someone wearing that (with a proper fit) could still find it uncomfortable because they decide it's too constricting or too loose, too hot or too cold, or simply pinches them where fashion says there shouldn't be anything to pinch.

Which raises the question...… why wear it?

Which raises the question...… why wear it?

Why wear clothes that are uncomfortable? I don't :)

But it took me a long time to get confident enough to believe that I don't have to answer to anyone but myself when it comes to what I am going to wear; that I don't have to live up to other people's expectations of what is appropriate.

Because many here on these boards regard their favorite cruise lines just like their grandchildren....any criticism is a stab to the heart!

OMG! You have hit the nail on the head! That’s a great analogy! Sometimes it feels like you have insulted someone’s dear old Mum!

We like Viking! We may like Azamara after our cruise. I think I might like Regent. But unless I own a big chunk of stock in any line I don’t care what other people book.

And more's the pity!

Not from where I’m standing. I dress for me not for anyone else. I think it takes confidence not to worry about what others think. I’ve lived long enough that I’m beyond worrying.

I’m more interested in a great personality, good conversation and a sense of humor than what someone is wearing. If you have those and you’re clean and somewhat neat, you are welcome at my table anytime!

Thanks! I agree. Sometimes the listed dress code for a cruise line indicates the general culture. Maybe not always, but that’s why I read all these posts. It’s not just the dress code that has convinced me that Crystal and SilverSea wouldn’t be great fits for us.

I think you misunderstood. What I was complaining about is the fact that so many men have been convinced that dressing up is somehow a burden and that the only alternative is to be dressed like a prole

I don’t there is much convincing involved. I have been listening to men complain about having to wear ties since the Eisenhower administration in the US

Can’t say as I blame them much. We women have traded girdles and stockings for pantyhose and now most women have jettisoned the pantyhose as well. When it’s hot we have the option of a sleeveless top and a lovely sundress, while the men are still strangling themselves with a tie, a long sleeved shirt and a heavy jacket or even a light weight one. I certainly wouldn’t want to dress that way. I say Bravo to the rebels! Men’s fashions have stagnated for decades while we women long ago dumped all our burdensome clothing in a trash bin 🤣

I think your comment “dressed like a prole” says a lot about you. Sounds like you are setting yourself above simply because of a choice of clothing options.