First holiday since 2011

Badger169

This is the first holiday for my son and I without my late husband, and the first cruise ever. We are on Serenade of the Seas, going in Nov round the Caribbean. I really need some advice regarding tips and drink packages. Some people I speak to say don’t do tips, just tip as you go along and then other people say include them and with the drinks package some people say it’s not worth it and other people say it is. I honestly don’t think I will drink the equivalent of £40 worth of alcohol per day, il mostly be having soft drinks with my son and maybe the odd glass of wine or cocktail. I have already priced up a drink package on RC website, and for the top package where everything is included it will cost me an extra £400+, that’s not including my sons soft drinks package. Then there’s the tips, I really don’t know what to do about this. I much prefer tipping as I go, so I know exactly where my tips have gone, but I have been told that this is frowned upon on the ship. So I really don’t know what to do, please can anyone offer some advice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

For general questions like drink packages use the link below for the RCI board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

You can use the link below to get to your Roll Call and see what others are doing -- just scroll down until you find the date of your cruise:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=271

You'll find more specific information about RCI cruising on their board here on Cruise Critic - here's the link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

You'll be able to skim the RCI board and see discussion threads with plenty of information about tipping and drink packages. Please don't listen to those who say 'tip as you go along' - you'd be bypassing many behind-the-scenes workers (bus-boys, etc.) who would otherwise be included in the gratuity pool. Here's a link to a thread about RCI gratuity distribution:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2636863&highlight=shared+gratuity+distribution

It's really much simpler and more equitable to just stick to the per day gratuity.

On the drink packages, unless you are going to be drinking more than 4-5 drinks per day, I'd stick to paying for individual drinks. There will probably be much more discussion with cost breakdowns on the RCI board.

Serenade of the Seas is one of our favorite ships - a classic beauty with lots of public spaces where you can enjoy bright, open sea views. Try to relax and enjoy a wonderful trip!

Do the gratuities they add to your bill. It covers everyone who is supposed to be tipped. No guesswork. Drink packages (and a ls carte drinks) include the tip in the price...no further tips are needed. Those who serve you will get their due.

You do not NEED a "package"...you can get anything you want without a package. If you think you'll drink more than 4-5 drinks per day that aren't included in your fare (which is ice water, coffee, tea, (iced or hot), lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast) then a package might be worth it. If you don't drink much or any alcohol, soda or specialty coffees, etc...just pay as you go. Tips will be included in the price.

As others mentioned, you will get better replies regarding drinks packages on the Royal Boards.

With respect to tips. The auto gratuities, or discretionary service charge (DSC) actually provides most of the wage for crew members included in the tip pool. This generally includes the hotel services staff, excluding bar staff, since bars will probably add 15% to all bar bills.

If you delete the DSC and provide cash to specific employees, they are required to pass that cash back into the pool. Personally, I don't like the system, but this is accepted practice on cruise ships for many years, so we go with it, unless tips are included.

Prepaying gratuities means one less expense while on the cruise. The set gratuity means that people behind the scenes who contribute to your cruise are also recognized, not just those with whom you interact. If you want to give an additional tip to your cabin steward or waiter for special service, that's up to you.

As far as the drink/soda packages are concerned, the soda package usually pays for itself if you buy three or more a day. I always get it. I don't drink, so I cannot help you there, but I would trust your instincts. If you don't think you will drink that much, don't get the package!