Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

It will be interesting to see what people booked before next May will do. I suspect that even more people will remove auto tips in the coming months. We're booked for April!

I wondered that as we are booked before next May too. We'll leave the auto-tips on as usual but we may well be in the minority.

Myself and a few others on here emailed P&O several times and got to speak to their Guests Relations manager regarding adding tips into the price because we were paying autogratuities but plenty of people were very happy to stop theirs.

I am delighted that what was told to me is actually being implemented albeit not until May 2019.

I will still tip very well in cash to everyone who makes our cruise Special.

I remember that you as well as myself and others spoke to Guest Relations. So perhaps we did make a difference. I like to think so.:)

Not sure if this is has anything to do with the removal of the gratuities, but today I booked for the Azura cruise in May 2019 (A911) and whilst looking at the cabin costs, I noticed that there was no OBC indicated for inside cabins. On our last cruise in May this year, we used our OBC for the gratuities, which means they gave it to you as OBC and then you hand it back for the tips. Without any OBC on inside cabins, it will mean those passengers will spend more money while onboard, so P&O will gain some of the gratuities money back that way. Hope that makes sense.

Not sure if this is has anything to do with the removal of the gratuities, but today I booked for the Azura cruise in May 2019 (A911) and whilst looking at the cabin costs, I noticed that there was no OBC indicated for inside cabins. On our last cruise in May this year, we used our OBC for the gratuities, which means they gave it to you as OBC and then you hand it back for the tips. Without any OBC on inside cabins, it will mean those passengers will spend more money while onboard, so P&O will gain some of the gratuities money back that way. Hope that makes sense.

In those circumstances I suspect the opposite will happen and people will spend less.

Most people don't think "ah the OBC will pay the service charge" but "ah £50 free money to spend on beer/wine/spa". No OBC and they won't spend that 'free' money.

Correct me if i am wrong but I just looked on line and Select Price inside cabins on A911 are offering £30.00 OBC pp or Return Coach travel or free Car Parking which is the normal offer for inside cabins.:confused:

I fear any one hoping for the end of tipping threads should think again.:evilsmile:

It should mean the end of tipping threads. Marella have 'tips' included in the fare and have done for years. you don't see tipping threads on the Marella forums, actually someone tried to start one a week or so ago but it soon fizzled out because there was nothing to argue about and I suspect the original poster was just trying to stir things.

There may well be questions such as are we expected to tip cash anyway, the answer is no, ignore the tipping police and peer pressure. If you want to tip some cash for exceptional service you can do so if you want.

The crew will be getting the same wages as when auto gratuities was in place, after all it all comes from your fare and onboard spend anyway.

The crew will be getting the same wages as when auto gratuities was in place

The crew will be getting less unless the people who claim to tip in cash (as they remove the service charge) continue to do so when it disappears.

The crew will be getting less unless the people who claim to tip in cash (as they remove the service charge) continue to do so when it disappears.

Surely that is P&O's problem not ours - the implication as I read it is that tipping 'is taken care of' and that we will be paying for it in other ways whatever they may be, We will not be tipping generally and even if we do tip any individuals it will not be anywhere on the scale it has been. I'm assuming that will be the position of most people.

From May 2019 (cruises A911, B912, E911/A, J903, N910, R907, X907 and all thereafter), the discretionary daily Service Charge on board will be removed so you can relax knowing it’s all taken care of.

Of course they have, because the cash tippers are now raising their heads again.

As are those who raise the same points on every tipping thread time and time and time again!!!!

Please, let’s not turn this into yet another round of circular arguments about tipping. It’s now completely futile. P&O has now made the decision for us. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by any further debate on the pros and cons, distribution or anything else about service charges on P&O as they will no longer exist.

The only issue that remains is whether or not some passengers may choose to tip some of the staff who have gone ‘over and above’ some cash. That is entirely a matter for those passengers and nothing to do with anyone else. To try to make an issue out of that is picking an argument for the sake of it.

Not if P&O have been making up the difference for removed autograts they won’t. If the cost gets added to the price in some way either the fare or to onboard prices then in theory things should balance out and the pot bigger.

It should in theory be fairer to crew because under the old system they could get lucky and get several cash payers and get their share of the bonus as well or constantly unlucky and get non autograts, non cash customers.

I always paid the auto gravity but felt recently that the service onboard had got worse because of it. It almost felt like you had already paid so there was no point in the staff making any effort to go the extra mile or in some cases even the basics.

I think service will start to improve again now as staff are not having to worry (hopefully) about their basic wage and customers can if they wish still reward great service with a extra cash tip. The service on Marella is good and the staff seem happy with their system. We never feel any obligation whatsoever to tip on Marella but sometimes do when it is deserved.

I also hope that this all means they will stop trying to emotionally blackmail passengers into putting excellent for everything so that questionnaire actually become meaningful again.

As are those who raise the same points on every tipping thread time and time and time again!!!!

Please, let’s not turn this into yet another round of circular arguments about tipping. It’s now completely futile. P&O has now made the decision for us. There is absolutely nothing to be gained by any further debate on the pros and cons, distribution or anything else about service charges on P&O as they will no longer exist.

The only issue that remains is whether or not some passengers may choose to tip some of the staff who have gone ‘over and above’ some cash. That is entirely a matter for those passengers and nothing to do with anyone else. To try to make an issue out of that is picking an argument for the sake of it.

I agree and believe for British passengers it is the right decision by P&O.

spot on!

Not if P&O have been making up the difference for removed autograts they won’t. If the cost gets added to the price in some way either the fare or to onboard prices then in theory things should balance out and the pot bigger.

It should in theory be fairer to crew because under the old system they could get lucky and get several cash payers and get their share of the bonus as well or constantly unlucky and get non autograts, non cash customers.

The crew will lose out unless P&O increase the bonus pot to take account of those people who opted out of the service charge and paid cash tips.

It was confirmed by P&O that crew paid cash tips did not have to hand them in.

Therefore over their contract period each member of crew would have received (on top of their base salary) a bonus from the pot funded by the service charges which you assert was topped up by P&O for those who opted out of the service charge, PLUS the cash tips from some of those who opted out of the service charge.

So the staff will lose out unless either P&O increase the bonus pot from what it currently is (funded by service charges and topped up for those who opt out), by the amount currently paid as cash tips.

That is unless the cash tippers want to carry on paying the same after the service charge disappears.

The crew will lose out unless P&O increase the bonus pot to take account of those people who opted out of the service charge and paid cash tips.

Therefore over their contract period each member of crew would have received (on top of their base salary) a bonus from the pot funded by the service charges which you assert was topped up by P&O for those who opted out of the service charge, PLUS the cash tips from some of those who opted out of the service charge.

So the staff will lose out unless either P&O increase the bonus pot from what it currently is (funded by service charges and topped up for those who opt out), by the amount currently paid as cash tips.

That is unless the cash tippers want to carry on paying the same after the service charge disappears.

Actually I said “if”.

It’s all academic anyway now as we are never likely to know what the arrangements are and as long as the staff are looked after, I don’t really feel the need to know.

Already the debate continues and someone on a certain social media site has stated that there will be a 15% compulsory service charge added on all purchases on board so if we're hoping the debating will end soon, then I doubt it.

However unless P&O confirm that comment to be true, I think we should just assume that there's at least one person who likes to get their big wooden spoon out and stir up trouble.

Now how do I turn off comments on this? ;p

Already the debate continues and someone on a certain social media site has stated that there will be a 15% compulsory service charge added on all purchases on board so if we're hoping the debating will end soon, then I doubt it.

However unless P&O confirm that comment to be true, I think we should just assume that there's at least one person who likes to get their big wooden spoon out and stir up trouble.

Now how do I turn off comments on this? ;p

Unfortunately you can’t 😆

You wonder how people come up with this kind of thing, yes probably a big wooden spoon. There is nothing in the P&O statement that would make anyone think that was th3 case.

I never feel I understand what you expect us as passengers to do about tipping, what do you do currently - autotip or cash or nothing ? . You are always taking a pop at those who cancel the autotip and tip with cash - why?

P&O have announced that the service charge will end in May but even that does not seem good enough. If the staff suffer over this then that is down to P&O not us.

I think you just want to keep stirring the pot.

I quite agree.

There are far too many people on all forums who seem to want to argue just for the sake of it, and also to be extremely rude to complete strangers! I've been avoiding forums for ages for this very reason.

P&O have announced that the service charge will end in May but even that does not seem good enough. If the staff suffer over this then that is down to P&O not us.

So are you not concerned service levels will fall when the staff realise they have been stiffed over this change that benefits passengers, and they are taking home less money?

I quite agree.

There are far too many people on all forums who seem to want to argue just for the sake of it, and also to be extremely rude to complete strangers! I've been avoiding forums for ages for this very reason.

Your absolutely right about some people being just rude.

Personally I dont have a problem with civilised debate, it’s what keeps these boards alive and without it they would die off completely. Some posts are however unnecessarily confrontational.