British Woman rescued after ten hours after falling from cruise ship

British woman rescued after ten hours by Croatan rescue ship, after falling from Norwegian Star.

SBS and ABC News

Will be interesting to learn how she fell off the ship.

Yes it will be very interesting to find out how she fell. Here is a link:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/british-cruise-ship-passenger-is-rescued-10-hours-after-falling-overboard/ar-BBM8xs9?ocid=spartanntp

This is a very rare occasion when someone has gone overboard and survived to relate her story. Like many on here, I have always considered it basically impossible for someone to fall off a modern cruise ship, and for someone to survive unaided for 10 hours in the water, after having done so. Amazing survival story.

Yes it will be very interesting to find out how she fell. Here is a link:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/british-cruise-ship-passenger-is-rescued-10-hours-after-falling-overboard/ar-BBM8xs9?ocid=spartanntp

This is a very rare occasion when someone has gone overboard and survived to relate her story. Like many on here, I have always considered it basically impossible for someone to fall off a modern cruise ship, and for someone to survive unaided for 10 hours in the water, after having done so. Amazing survival story.

It is an amazing survival story. My first instinct was an attempted suicide, as her purse and passport were reportedly left on the deck from which she fell. Passengers don't usually carry their purse and passport on board ship at night. Usually the cruise line keeps passports, but passengers were due to disembark in Venice the following day, so the cruise line may have given back all passports to passengers.

Going overboard deliberately is more likely than accidentally falling overboard, particularly with her passport and purse left on the deck. I am dubious about her claim she was in the water around 10 hours. The fact that no lifebuoys were thrown overboard makes me think no-one saw her go off the ship. She says it was around midnight, but maybe it was several hours later. CCTV footage will probably show the time she went overboard, but I am questioning her claim of 10 hours in the water. However, even if she was in the water for half that time, it is still am amazing survival story.

Just heard a report on the radio news that she had been drinking, had an argument with the boyfriend and jumped.

Yes, I read an article in The Sun (link in Norwegian thread) which provided a lot of background information.

Just heard a report on the radio news that she had been drinking, had an argument with the boyfriend and jumped.

There was big coverage on our ABC News Breakfast this morning. I guess her survival is unique, so news. The ship's cameras will show if she jumped. Assuming she did, she did a lot of things right to survive - wearing minimum clothes, leaving evidence (purse and passport), keeping her spirits up by singing and keeping active by swimming/dog paddling, being fit from yoga to start with.

Makes you wonder, she must have sobered up pretty quickly if she was drunk enough to put her in a position to fall.

It didn't say she fell because she was drinking, just that she had been doing so before the argument and leaving the ship.

Hard to say what factor it played in the jump or fall i.e. people jump because of arguments with others, whether drinking or not.

Something is seriously off about all this. The "fall" for starters.

I agree. The woman looked remarkably bright with little signs of exposure considering she had been supposedly treading water for 10 hours. Stay tuned for when she sells her story and recounts her amazing tale of survival.

I agree. The woman looked remarkably bright with little signs of exposure considering she had been supposedly treading water for 10 hours. Stay tuned for when she sells her story and recounts her amazing tale of survival.

Once again, I doubt that she was in the water for anything near ten hours.

It didn't say she fell because she was drinking, just that she had been doing so before the argument and leaving the ship.

Hard to say what factor it played in the jump or fall i.e. people jump because of arguments with others, whether drinking or not.

Her drinking would have affected her judgement and that would be a factor whether she jumped or fell after putting herself in a dangerous position.

Can see an exclusive story coming soon, produced by a chequebook journalist for a magazine or TV network.