First cruise in 5 days.... I'm freakin out!!!!

kmc42877

Hey y'all....I need help!! We are going on our first family cruise in 5 days and I'm starting to have panic attacks!! I keep thinking of bad things that could happen and its making me want to cancel the trip!! Any advice on how to overcome all my issues??

For me it's a normal condition to freak out before a cruise, I wish a knew what to do with my nerves, but I love travel more than afraid of 3 days of anxiety.

Edited by Dayenu

A few things..being seasick, tight spaces, capsizing (which I know is probably insane!) I somehow let my fears get the best of me...especially with something new. I don't know a lot of people that have been on cruises so I have no idea what to expect! I wasn't sure how safe it actually is! I know I probably sound like a fruit cake...my husband tells me I am everyday...lol!! I just need to know we will be ok!!

A few things..being seasick, tight spaces, capsizing (which I know is probably insane!) I somehow let my fears get the best of me...especially with something new. I don't know a lot of people that have been on cruises so I have no idea what to expect! I wasn't sure how safe it actually is! I know I probably sound like a fruit cake...my husband tells me I am everyday...lol!! I just need to know we will be ok!!

You are not alone. I did the same thing and almost cancelled our first cruise. Then fell in love with cruising. Bad things still run through my head right before we leave, but then I think about how great it is and talk myself out of the bad thoughts (I think my brain is just made that way). The excitement of walking up to that ship and up the ramp is a great feeling. You don't want to miss it.

Edited by Steve and Sharon

Of course things can happen anywhere, but cruising is one of the safest ways to travel there is. You are in a lot more danger every time you get in your car to drive to the store.

We've cruised for many years and have never had any kind of accident or a real problem. We had a couple of seasick incidents, but that was back in the 70's when ships were not nearly as stable as now. We've luckily never gotten ill or injured in any way either.

I bet once you are back from your cruise, you will be laughing at your worries. Try to just relax and have a great time.

Hey y'all....I need help!! We are going on our first family cruise in 5 days and I'm starting to have panic attacks!! I keep thinking of bad things that could happen and its making me want to cancel the trip!! Any advice on how to overcome all my issues??

Panic attacks need to be addressed by a mental health professional. They can help you develop coping skills to deal with your issues.

I get anxious before every trip whether it's land based or a cruise. I call it the " What It's."

It's a fear of the unknown and tends to happen to people that like a sense of

order and routine in their lives. However, I'm more than willing to endure some anxiety to see and experience all the world has to offer. I refuse to sit back and let life pass me by.

Once I arrive at my destination, I relax and always have a great time.

Sending positive thoughts to you. Have a great first cruise !

Relax and enjoy.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Just relax. Concentrate on packing -- make certain you have all your documents, passports, copies of anything you have pre-purchased, sun glasses, etc.

Enjoy your cruise.

As to the capsizing, size of the ship, etc. It's hard to imagine the size of a ship until you've seen one. Check out the dimensions of the ship you're going on. The picture below is HAL's Statendam - one of the smaller ships out there. 719 ft long - that's 2 football fields and 101 feet wide - about 2/3's of a football field.

DSCF0148.jpg

Relax - you're going to have a ball. And prepare to be hooked. :)

I hope this doesn't sood dismissive but it is something I say all the time when people talk about the possibility of bad things happening;

Sooner or later, something is going to kill you.

Since that is a given...live life to it fullest. All it takes is one time when you are facing the very real possibility of death and it becomes a whole lot easier. The odds of something bad happening are virtually non-existent when compared to the odds of you having a fantastic time.

Enjoy the cruise.

Thank y'all so much!! I feel a little better! The fear of the unknown stinks...lol!! Gonna try to stay busy and focused and stop all my stressin!!

Hello Kmc42877,

You're about to embark on a wonderful adventure. Cruising is the only way to travel, once you're up the gangway you're on vacation.

You will meet wonderful new friends, enjoy delicious meals, discover interesting and fun ports and be excited by steaming from port aboard a mighty ocean liner.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

I hope this doesn't sood dismissive but it is something I say all the time when people talk about the possibility of bad things happening;

Sooner or later, something is going to kill you.

Since that is a given...live life to it fullest. All it takes is one time when you are facing the very real possibility of death and it becomes a whole lot easier. The odds of something bad happening are virtually non-existent when compared to the odds of you having a fantastic time.

Enjoy the cruise.

Love this! No sense in being so afraid of something that you can't enjoy life! Just go on your cruise with an open mind and have a great time! I'm getting ready to go on my 6th cruise and I've never been injured in any way!

Have you put in place any contingencies to deal with some of your fears? Sea sickness is easy to plan for - there are lots of options available. I have had great success with the patch that I wear behind my ear. You will find lots of other passengers wearing them. There is also many over the counter medications that you can find that help. Some may cause drowsiness, so you may want to avoid those or keep them for before bed time.

The only time I ever feel tight spaces as an issue is during port visits and disembarkation. Cruise passengers simply love to line up and crowd the hallways. We always overcome this by waiting to hear the announcement that the ship has been cleared and that they are ready to commence disembarkation - then wait at least 30 minutes for the line up crowds to get off. If you are arriving in port at 8:00 am, it can be a good idea to book an excursion for 10 or 11 as all the crowds have dispersed by then.

The probability of a ship capsizing is extremely low, especially since the Costa Concordia disaster. Ain't no Captain gonna allow that to happen again.

There are other things that we do to help minimize risk. We always pack his and her clothes together, on the off chance that one bag gets lost at least we have the other. Always pack less. We sanitize our cabin to protect against bacteria. We rarely consume alcohol as we are not normally drinkers and we do not want it to interfere with our enjoying our trip. Be very particular on what you eat. Foods not served at the correct temperatures should not be consumed at all. Do not feel embarrassed to send it back or to order something else. We also pre-plan all our excursions before hand so we know what we are doing and what we can expect. Pay very close attention to your choice of footwear and where you are walking. So many passengers end up with sprains from not paying attention and walking off sidewalks and into pot holes. And finally, if something just doesn't feel right or you are not comfortable with a particular location, leave. This is your vacation and you know what is best for you.

Possibly seek professional help with your irrational mental health issues.

Look on the bright side. By going on holiday, you are eliminating the possibility that a man in a coloured suit may lure your children into a secret mountain by playing his pipe. And if your house is hit by a tornado and carried away to a magical land, you won't be in it.

is this true anxiety, or just letting your mind go to bad places? if real anxiety, it is often not under your control and is often irrational. (I have experienced it so I understand). if you are having actual anxiety which is in disproportion to the actual dangers/fears associated with cruising there is nothing wrong with getting an Rx for anti-anxiety medication.

if it's just fears that can be quelled with logic then slow down and examine what you are actually afraid of... seasickness? bring medicines with you. claustrophobia? do you have an interior room? maybe come up with a plan that if you are feeling claustrophobic you will leave the room at once etc. I can tell you I have claustrophobia yet felt 100% fine on my cruise - and I had an inside room, it's not bad at all. what else??? do you think the ship is going to sink? the chances of that are extremely remote, almost zero.

anyway, focus on the amazing trip you are about to experience!

Here's the deal, have you ever been camping in an RV? Most RV's are smaller than cabins. So, even tho your cabin is smaller than your house, its still very roomy and well appointed.

You can take the stairs if the elevators get to you. Out on deck, its wide open and wonderful.

Breathe, relax, make sure you've packed all the necessaries. Have a good time.

You will be fine, and ready for more after your cruise, trust me.

Don't focus on things that might go wrong, focus on having a wonderful time with your loved ones.

If I have to die, I'd rather die cruising than any other way.

Twenty years from now on your 30th cruise you will remember your anxiety and laugh out loud.

Edited by dulcimergirl