Bath Amenities

notjaded

Silversea Newbies, and my wife is interested in the community's perception of the bathroom amenities.

According to HappyCamper777 a few months ago, "The standard bath amenities are BVLGARI®. They have switched the other choice from Ferragamo to a all natural Italian brand that I had never heard of before. I tried the Italian brand, but switched back to BVLGARI after 2-days as I didn't care for it."

Question from my wife is whether these amenities are widely liked by Silversea cruisers, and whether the scents are perceived as overwhelming?

Many thanks!

The Bulgari stuff certainly isn't bad. The shampoo can be a little harsh for using multiple times per day (sometimes you have to do that on expedition cruises). And Chris thinks that the conditioner isn't all that great of a detangler. But we won't complain.

And I agree, it's not overwhelmingly scented. Unless maybe we both smell like it so we don't notice?:cool:

I find the Bvlgari heavy, so last March on the Wind I opted for the Ortigia amenities and found them lighter and much more to my liking. I will choose them again, as long as they carry it. The third option is completely scent-free, possibly Neutrogena?

I have very sensitive skin, and react to anything that has a scent added. I tried the Bvlgari, but got a rash. My husband likes it though.

I usually end up using what I bring myself, but on our last cruise I was provided with SebaMed, which is wonderful and didn't cause any reaction. It's made in Germany.

So we end up with 'his' and 'hers'. Fortunately the bathrooms are big enough.

I liked the Bulgari at first, and still like the bubble bath gel. But now I find the shampoo a bit rough on my hair, which has changed, though love the scent.

On a short cruise, you can bring your own favorites of course, not much weight.

Silversea offers Sebamed as well, which I believe is their only cruelty-free option. I've requested it in advance, so I'm not sure if its usually stocked in any quantity on the ships "just in case".

Silversea are to be congratulated on the different toiletries they offer, and all are very nice. Unlike Seabourn who give you Molton Brown - or Molton Brown, no choice. Some like it, but I don't and so have to cart my own toilertries with me when we travel.

I am in the BVLGARI camp:D…...I love it actually. The scent is mild (in my opinion) and it makes my hair feel very soft and I although I normally use a shower gel at home, I liked the soap as well:)

Silversea are to be congratulated on the different toiletries they offer, and all are very nice. Unlike Seabourn who give you Molton Brown - or Molton Brown, no choice. Some like it, but I don't and so have to cart my own toilertries with me when we travel.

When I was on Seabourn Quest in January I requested something other than Molton Brown and got it. I was in the cheapest balcony cabin category so I’m sure it was available for everybody. I wonder when Seabourn discontinued providing a second brand of toiletries?

I personally loved the Bvulgari toiletries. especially the soap and shampoo. A question: Is it tacky to stash a few away (every day) to take as Silversea souvenirs?

If it's tacky, then I should be a massive tape ball! However, I always asked our butler/room attendants before hand and they've always given me plenty of extras to take home. I tell them what I like especially and they've been wonderful about a generous extra supply. One of my biggest pleasures at home is to fill up the tub and indulge in some of the yummy products that I'd never buy for myself to at home. Reminds me of lovely trips!

OH always seems to find a few Bvlgari soaps and shampoos when she unpacks at home. We use them when we have visitors or when we need to take a small amount of either to a cottage or whatever. I must say, the scent of the products transports me instantly back on board. Smell can be quite a powerful nostalgia trigger.

It was humour. An almost extinct pastime. :)

Up until recently I had the largest collection of hotel soaps known to man. It had to have the name of the hotel on the box - but wifey got fed up with them and threw them when I was out. I still think of that collection and I miss them.

My favourite was one from behind what was then called the Iron Curtain, which said in Russian “Do Not Remove”. But I don’t speak Russian.

Forgive me.....coming from the land of the Orange Man, nothing is very funny to me anymore!

Some of my most prized bath amenities are from Hermes (be still my heart), Etro, L'occitane lavender, and actually Bulgari. I can find these in the "extra ppx" department stores, but the thought of forking over 20+$ for a bar of soap just isn't in the cards!

As "Tothesunset" mentioned, scent or odor is a very strong nostalgia trigger!

Perfectly understandable. That is why we must extract thin seams of fun wherever they might pop up!

My wife got fed up with me always coming home with a case full of small soaps and she would make me promise to stop, and in the event my memory was always flakey, so she threw them all away except for some she kept for the downstairs guest loo. So far as smell is concerned I happen to know that TTS soapy nostalgia trigger would likely be carbolic. :D :D :D

Taking the soap in my case certainly did become a fetish. The problem is the larger your collection becomes the more determined you are to collect and if you take the spare box on day one and they replace it by the evening, you are then faced with the agony of do you take the replacement ........ urges, urges urges. :evilsmile:

I had a long conversation with a manager in one of the IC's we regularly use about what is acceptable and unacceptable to take from the room. I explained that I had replaced my soap fetish with a pen fetish in that their pens were the only ones in our home that we owned that seemed to work. I explained that they seem to put five in the suite each morning and if I took them all by the end of the stay (they replaced them twice a day) then there would be over a hundred. The next day in our suite there was a grey box with a hundred pens in it and a note from her saying "With our warmest compliments ........ ".

My remaining fetish which I will never shake off is the shower hats. I have not much hair so this is odd. They are absolutely perfect for putting over bowls when rising and proving bread or pizza dough. I have an enviable collection and it is the first thing I make a beeline for. :)

I think Jeff's post referred to a cruiser who was stockpiling very large amounts of the toiletries. And it was a really funny thread if you read it all. Loved the limericks!

There's always a fine line between taking some, and taking too much. Clearly the situation described in that thread not only crossed, but obliterated, the line.

I'd feel guilty taking a full set of toiletries every day. We routinely take the extras at the end of our cruise or hotel stay, though, and we don't feel guilty about that at all.

My favorite is when we stay in a suite with two bathrooms (yes, two sets of stuff)! Taking more than that seems tacky to me.

But for our upcoming cruise we have two pre-cruise hotels, one post-cruise hotel, and the cruise itself. So we will come home with lots of new stuff from each place for the collection.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app