What are the best beaches in Philipsburg, St. Maarten? What's your favorite & why...

We will be sailing to St Maarten and would like to go to a nice sandy beach. Not really into water sports at all. More or less just interested in a nice beach with a nice restuarant and bar for our non alcoholic (foo-foo) drinks.

Also how's the shopping in St Maarten? Are there several shopping areas? Are any close to where the ships docks. Looking to purchase a really nice watch and a sapphire ring, any recommendations on stores?

And finally, does anyone know of any good private tour guides in St Maarten? Since we've never been there before, we would like to see some of the island, take in some beach time and then shop. We'll be in St Maarten all day and we've heard the beaches are fantastic. So what's your favorite beach and why. Thanks

Love St Maarten! Best beach, definitely Orient Beach. Beautiful area and beach with all amenities. May see some topless bathers or really old guys in string bikini, but otherwise gorgeous! I think it was 8.00 pp each way, lots of taxis. Paid 10.00 for pair of lounge chairs with umbrella.

As for stores, this is the best shopping in the caribbean! Where the ships dock, there is a water taxi (5.00 unlimited trips). Takes about 10 minutes to get to the main street, shopping area. Some little shops by the docks, but much better to go to main street area.

Would you happen to know what the name of the main is and what part of town is it in and on what side of the island is it?

What's the main shopping called on the Dutch side as well as the French side and where exactly are they located in regards to where you get off the ship?

And are there open air markets or are they actual stores located in shopping districts?

Shopping is out of this world in St Maarten right where the ship docks, which is the Dutch side. Not open air, but stores on the main street, (I don't rememebr the name) narrow in width, and lots of them for jewelery. They will deal if you see something you like. I prefer shopping for jewelery here than the other islands, even more than St Thomas. They have all the designer jewelery here too if that is what you may be after. This is where we purchase our liquor and cigarettes to bring back. Very cheap. There are a few tent type stores, but that is not the mainstream. There is a perfectly fine beach where the ship docks as well. If you want to head over to Orient, it's a nice trip. This port is nice because you can easily shop and do the beach. I have never been there when it wasn't sunny and hot. It's one of my favorite ports.

Hi!

Joyce Prince has received nothing but rave reviews on the destination message boards on this site for St. Maarten -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/archive/index.php?f-93.html

I have not gone on a tour with her personally yet, but we are booked in April.

You should be able to find her contact info in the threads. If not, let me know and I will provide.

Lesley

Little Divi for sure. Part of a resort so all the facilities are there to change clothes, drink etc. Free except for the chairs [$5?]. Only 2-3 vendors & they were no problem as soon as you shook your head no. Deepest beach, most calm & blue water we saw that day. :D

Yes we used Joyce Prince for our tour & she dropped us off in the a.m. before our tour, picked us up for Maho and then back again for our tour. Great lady!

Hi how are you doing, my wife and I just came back from St. Martin and we stayed at the Sonesta next to the airport and although the beach was nice we did ride over to the cruise ships and timed it and the trip is atleast 45 minutes away and there is a draw bridge that goes up twice a day at 9:30 A.M.and 5:00P.M that will slow you down more.I would suggest going to DAWN beach we went there and it was 15 minutes away from the ships and it is adjacent to the Oyster Bay hotel witha nice infinity pool you can use (remember if you act like you belong you belong).

Archived