Fiction books set on cruise ships?

taffy12

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question or not, so bear with me. I'm looking for some fiction novels set on modern cruise ships...and I hate those cheap, trashy, Harlequin-type romances, so none of that, please. I don't even know if such a book exists, but if you have any ideas, please let me know!

Also, while I'm at it, can anyone recommend any good novels about foreign travel in general? Fiction, preferably European locales, though anywhere is fine... I'm looking for stories about people traveling to or moving to foreign countries rather than books that simple use, say, London as a setting for an ordinary ole story. Thanks!

One I can think of because I have a copy of it on my shelf of Florida authors is a book by James W. Hall with the title of "Buzzcut". Most of the action takes place on a cruise ship sailing out of Florida although the whole novel doesn't take place there.

I'm sure there are other ones but that is at least one.

Have a great next cruise.

I just finished reading..."Skinny Dip" I thought it was great. My 19 year old daughter also read it and loved it! I also have "Love Overboard" I did not read it, but my daughter did...she said it was OK, not great. Another fantastic one was "Princess Charming"..we bothed loved that one too!

I just bought a book called "SOS". I found it in Borders, Books & Music...on clearance for $3.99...I will read it on the plane and finish it on the ship.

Ollie:)

• Like 1

Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie. Not set on a modern day cruise ship, but it is set on a ship that cruises the Nile. Excellent mystery read.

Anything by Bill Bryson. He is an author who writes on his travels. He lived in Australia for 20 years (In a Sunburned Country) and moved back to America. Also has novels about his travels in Europe. He is extremely funny also.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question or not, so bear with me. I'm looking for some fiction novels set on modern cruise ships...and I hate those cheap, trashy, Harlequin-type romances, so none of that, please. I don't even know if such a book exists, but if you have any ideas, please let me know!

Also, while I'm at it, can anyone recommend any good novels about foreign travel in general? Fiction, preferably European locales, though anywhere is fine... I'm looking for stories about people traveling to or moving to foreign countries rather than books that simple use, say, London as a setting for an ordinary ole story. Thanks!

"Skipping Christmas" is not set on a cruise ship, but the planning of a first cruise. While I'm not a big John Grisham fan, this was a fun little book to read. BTW, the book was a whole lot better than the movie.

Visit your local bookstore, there is a whole travel section with many choices regarding European travel at our local Borders.

I am currently listening to Birds of Prey by Jance (not quite sure of author). It is a mystery taking place on a cruise ship to Alaska. They are mentioning the ports I will be visiting next month so makes it very interesting.

I just finished a hilarious book called 'The Saga of the Sailing Hillbillies'. I cannot remember the couple who wrote it but it could not be that difficult to find. They are from Kentucky and decide to buy a sailboat and travel the Caribbean. He thinks he has researched and knows enough after reading 2 books on basic sailing.

Also found one called 'First We Quit Our Jobs-How one Work-driven couple got on the road to a new life' Its about a New York couple who decide they are not wasting another day gazing out the window at the highway without being on it. They travel a 4 month trip through Canada,Alaska, and most of the United States. I'm only about halfway done so far.

You might like 'Gullible's Travels' by Cash Peters. Its a travelogue of some of his adventures being a BBC travel reporter. He's the guy who will be on the new reality series in the fall where they drop him off in a foreign place with no money, clothing,resources, etc.

Enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...

I read a book by Leona blair called Fascination that about one -fourth of the book was an ocean crossing and the rest of book was about the lives of these people who had met on the crossing. It was a decent read. Set in 1900 so the turn of the LAST century.

I am currently listening to Birds of Prey by Jance (not quite sure of author). It is a mystery taking place on a cruise ship to Alaska. They are mentioning the ports I will be visiting next month so makes it very interesting.

Before my Alaska cruise I read a book by Janet Daily (do not remember the title) that covered around 350 years. It started around 1675 or a little before when the Russians would go there for seal pelts and later made settlements and the men married Indian or native women. It went through the history of this one family up to modern day. All the ports I visited were mentioned in the book too.

Our cruise did not go to Skagway and after reading about the gold rush in that book I was wishing it did.

A few years ago I read "Decked" by Carol Higgins Clark. She's not her mother (Mary Higgins Clark) but I do enjoy her work. It is a mystery set on a cruise ship.

I'm glad this thread made its way to the top again. After reading this, I went to B.Dalton and bought "DECKED". Just finished it a coupla days ago. I really did enjoy it. I like her style of writing. THX for recommending it.:)

• 7 months later...

I would love to revive this thread again. I really look forward to deciding what books to pack. And I especially

enjoy something 'cruisey' Anyone else?

Playing for Keeps by Joan Lowery Nixon

good one for middle schoolers

Cruising for Murder by Susan Sussman

This one is by science fiction author Harry Harrison: "The QE2 is Missing"

"The liner The Queen Elizabeth II is in mid-cruise when a sudden radio silence cuts her off from the outside world. When a search is finally mounted for her, she is discovered adrift, miles from the shipping lanes. The liner is empty, her 1,815 passengers and crew have disappeared.

The QEII is Missing is a straight mystery story and political thriller in which the fate of the ship and her passengers is slowly revealed."

This one is by science fiction author Harry Harrison: "The QE2 is Missing"

"The liner The Queen Elizabeth II is in mid-cruise when a sudden radio silence cuts her off from the outside world. When a search is finally mounted for her, she is discovered adrift, miles from the shipping lanes. The liner is empty, her 1,815 passengers and crew have disappeared.

The QEII is Missing is a straight mystery story and political thriller in which the fate of the ship and her passengers is slowly revealed."

This one sounds great! Thanks!!

Google around a little to find leads. Or try the Amazon.com site.

Also, Steve Allen wrote at least one, maybe more: "Murder On The Atlantic".

On the subject of books, I buy last year's travel guides at the library book sales for a buck or less, then tear out the pages I need that pertain to our cruise stops. Saves taking the whole book!

I have photo-copied the pages out my Frommer's and other guides and put them in my travel doc case! It's such a great book, I hate to tear pages out and don't really want to take it with me.

I also cut and pasted maps of the islands all on one page so I will have it on one quick reference.

I do this type of thing for my boss for his travel itineraries and my hubby when he travels - they can never follow directions unless I spell it out for them.... Sorry guys;)