Sailing with Minor - Not our Child

bte52

I performed a search of the forum and found several threads regarding this subject but am still a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I will be sailing on Anthem to Bermuda in July 2018 and will be taking our 9 year old Nephew along for his first cruise. He does not have a US passport. I understand that we will need 2 copies (registered) of his Birth Certificate along with the notarized travel consent form (2 copies) that will be signed by his Father.

I downloaded a minor travel consent form from Law Depot and this form has a field for his Birth Certificate data but ALSO a field for a Passport number. From those with experience with this situation is this a problem or do I just write in NONE. Finally, there is no verbiage in the form I downloaded regarding permission for emergency medical care. Is this a requirement?

Again, I realize that this subject has been kicked around and again, my apologies. Thank you very muc.

The notarized form should have permission for travel, permission to make medical decisions, and permission to sign waivers for activities. Passports are not mandatory for non-Cuba cruises that start and end in the same US port.

Suggest you do a CC search there are lots of good threads on this topic.

Personally, I would want him to have a passport; however, I tend to be overly cautious. I also think you need the permission of both parents, not just the father.

As far as medical needs, make sure his medical insurance is valid outside of the US. You should also have the parents sign some type of letter giving you permission to authorize any medical treatment. Also, a copy of the medical insurance card.

We have taken our granddaughter on two cruises, once on the Freedom out of Port Canaveral and this past July on the Anthem out of Bayonne. We did not bring two copies of her birth certificate. We only brought the one original one. I typed up a permission letter that gave the name of the ship, the dates we were traveling and it said that I had permission to sign for all activities and all medical decisions. Only her father signed the letter. That is what it states on their website. My granddaughter does not have a passport either and that was not a problem. At the pier for the Anthem they only looked at her birth certificate and read the permission letter from her father.

It's not a problem until it is. Someone is injured or sick and must stay on the island and you all don't get back on the ship. Please ask the parent to get a passport for the kid. Now the letter you need to travel with him I have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not a problem until it is. Someone is injured or sick and must stay on the island and you all don't get back on the ship. Please ask the parent to get a passport for the kid. Now the letter you need to travel with him I have no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I get that. But I was relaying my own experience. The kid doesn't have a passport, so we dealt with what is not what should be.

I performed a search of the forum and found several threads regarding this subject but am still a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My wife and I will be sailing on Anthem to Bermuda in July 2018 and will be taking our 9 year old Nephew along for his first cruise. He does not have a US passport. I understand that we will need 2 copies (registered) of his Birth Certificate along with the notarized travel consent form (2 copies) that will be signed by his Father.

I downloaded a minor travel consent form from Law Depot and this form has a field for his Birth Certificate data but ALSO a field for a Passport number. From those with experience with this situation is this a problem or do I just write in NONE. Finally, there is no verbiage in the form I downloaded regarding permission for emergency medical care. Is this a requirement?

Again, I realize that this subject has been kicked around and again, my apologies. Thank you very muc.

I'm not an attorney, but leaving the Passport number blank is fine, or just write "N/A".

We travel with my step son and always have his dad fill one out just in case (stepson has a different last name from his mother and myself). We've been asked for the form once in 8 cruises. Definitely either track down a form or just modify the one you have to add permission for medical care. The form I use says:

"Inaddition, I (we) authorize:______________________________________ toconsent

to any necessaryroutine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip."

We always carry travel insurance for medical coverage.

I would also recommend both parents sign the form if possible. That or if there is a custody agreement that gives the father custody, bring a copy of that. I'd err on the side of bringing too much info than not enough and not be able to board.

This is what we have used for the last 12 years with no problems, this one is for the Mother, I always try and get one from both parents if possible

ToWhom it May Concern

I, Mothers name,formally mothers maiden name (mother), do givepermission for your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’sShip Name sailing from DeparturePort on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary issubject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your namepermission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may needwhile in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2017 in Brevard County Florida

Mothersname

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to andsubscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2017, by

Signature FloridaNotary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced_______________________________________________

Many thanks to all who have responded. Based on those responses I know that I now have , what I believe to be, the best consent form possible. It incorporates all suggestions offered. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. BTW, the mother is not currently available to sign the agreement as she is incarcerated in the Maryland Department of Corrections and he needs this vacation. Thanks again.

This is what we have used for the last 12 years with no problems, this one is for the Mother, I always try and get one from both parents if possible

ToWhom it May Concern

I, Mothers name,formally mothers maiden name (mother), do givepermission for your name to take my daughter, childs name, whose date of birth is childs birthdate, on a cruise aboard Royal Caribbean’sShip Name sailing from DeparturePort on Sail Date.

The cruise is scheduled to go to itinerary but I understand that the itinerary issubject to change and agree to any changes the cruise line may make.

I also give your namepermission to secure and authorize any medical treatment that childs name may needwhile in their care and to sign any waivers needed to authorize any activities childs name may want to partake in.

Signed this day of 2017 in Brevard County Florida

Mothersname

STATE OF FLORIDA

COUNTY OF ________

Sworn to andsubscribed before me this _____ day of _____, 2017, by

Signature FloridaNotary Public ________________________________

Notary Stamp

Personally Known______ OR Produced Identification _______

Type of Identification Produced_______________________________________________

Why would anyone care what your maiden name is?

Many thanks to all who have responded. Based on those responses I know that I now have , what I believe to be, the best consent form possible. It incorporates all suggestions offered. Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. BTW, the mother is not currently available to sign the agreement as she is incarcerated in the Maryland Department of Corrections and he needs this vacation. Thanks again.

Sounds like a caring aunt/uncle. Hope all goes well and enjoy your cruise.

We have taken multiple cruises over the last 10 years with our granddaughters. One has our last name, the other two do not. For every cruise, we have had the notarized letter from both parents. And always used their birth certificates. We have never needed the letter, but feel more comfortable with it.

The only time we were questioned was upon returning to the U.S. and an immigration agent asked the granddaughters separately who they were traveling with. When they both answered their Nana and Papa, the agent then said "Welcome home" and we were very glad to have the letter even though we did not end up showing it to the agent.